Flooding and Lake Levels getting serious

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
Well, any time now, someone is going to be coming down the street with animals '2 x 2'. Had over 5" of rain just yesterday. When I went to bed last night, the neighbors dock/pier had water just at the lower 'board' level. This morning, the boards/dock were below the water line. It's only about 3-5 inches from doing the same to mine.

As soon as my morning meeting is over, I have to go down and disconnect the lake pump, and raise it up off of the dock before it goes under. I'll post some pic's later today.

Getting pretty hairy here in E. Texas now. The water came up at least 5 inches or so last night, and it's still raining.

Tex :angry:

Sooo Now I know where Noah Trepper went last night!!!! LOL Sorry Tex, I know my Mother-n-law in north east OK is in the same boat she's waiting for the rain to stop for the replacement of her 2nd septic tank (one not used but for the water) but for the last month they can't get a truck into the back yard due to the "swamp", and she can't put the fence up for our pups till the septic tank is replaced.

Keep an eye on the dock, and good idea on the lake pump.

Hey Tex, go over to BBC/Oklahoma Forum and check out the pictures of the conditions at Texoma. The water is almost to the bottom of Roosevelt Bridge and over the road bed at Rooster Creek Bridge. Almost all of Catfish Bay Marina and all the resturants and picnic pavilion are under water. MSNBC was showing the water going over the spillway this morning...only the third time in the long history of that lake.

And here in Memphis it has been incredibly dry, we have had less than half the annual rainfall and most of the small lakes are drying up. The small ones have no launch ramps in the water and the larger ones (flood control reservoirs in N MS) have 70% of the ramps that can't be used.

Amazing the difference just 400 miles makes.

Velcro - same here, most of the fire works official shows were cancelled on the 4th due to dry grass and fear of fire. MAN we need the rain and TX/OK doesn't!!

All of the rain has me concerned. We are suppose to travel from western Kansas to Dallas to San Antonio to South Padre Island and back again next week. I hope for you sake and ours things start to dry out a little bit.:unsure: Chris F.

Tex didn't they have a nice drought going when you moved down there? Now you went and muddied that all up.

Pat - you must have moved way up North- that's a snowfall number:blink:

That's not rain, that's a waterfall.

Yes. It was very dry here the past two years. We've had over 35" of water since January. We are 15-18 inches above average - at least.

Pic's later.

Tex

Okay, here are some pic's. This one is the dock back in last December.

Dock_2.jpg

The dock is now underwater (the part you walk on - of course) completely. I fished off the dock this evening, in about 6" of water.

Tex
100_1346.jpg

It was more rain than I've ever seen in my life, and I've been through a couple of hurricanes and tropical storms.

My pond is 150' from the house, it rose right to the foundation, water was everywhere, we were pretty well trapped.

What was amazing was the amount of damage done in town (Marble Falls), creeks that haven't run in a long time were 20' over their banks. One sorta funny thing to see, the BFI waste company was alongside Hamilton creek, and there were thousands of trash bins scattered everywhere. What a mess.

What has been most impressive was the speed of recovery, washed out roads you thought would be weeks/months repaired were ready to go the next day, even bridges were repaired and going in two days.

We were fortunate, just lost the carpet in the house, and some dry wall, but it was time to get rid of that trashy carpet anyway...so it just made the decision easier. Six inches more and it would have been way more serious. And some neighbors down the hill really got beat up badly.

Tex - Did Judy by you that sign, or did you luck into it being there all ready for you!!! LOL

Dang, that is some flooding and quick rising water, that is no pond you live on!!

Trep

Here's an old picture of the pond, it was just into the front door and over the road by a foot and a half.

Mar16^37.JPG

100_1353.jpg

Yesterday evening (Friday), we stood on the dock in ankle deep water fishing. The bottom of the new cradle I put in, was just above the water. You can't see the steel I-beam of the frame, in this picture.

Tex

Yikes TT!! where did the dock go? :eek:

Hang in there.

TT, Pat, what si the height they have come up, somewhere in the vacinity of more then 6 feet??? That is a LOT of water...kinda like the Potomac in the hurricanes......

For us here, it's come up about 3', maybe 3 1/2 feet. I've got a marker in the yard, so I can tell what's happening.

We got a brief rain shower this morning. Hoping that it is over for the day, but you can never tell. Usually the afternoon is when the heavier stuff shows up.

Tex

Unfortunatley, it is raining fairly heavily again in our area. Another band coming through in about an hour. Not sure what the afternoon will bring right now.

It's still a good long way to the waters edge right now, but the wife certainly is nervous.

Tex

Tex, i'll send Noah over in the Nitro to pick you 2 and the pup up!! LOL Actualy at this rate when you launch the Stratos from the back porch head north to Oologah OK and pick up my Mom-n-law and our pups if you will! They are in the same place rain wise as you, she's been waiting over a month for her backup septic tank to be replaced (first truck got stuck as it was 1/2 full and backed into the grass and got stuck, had to pump it OUT into her backup tank to allow the tow truck to tow it out!) they can't put the new fence up for our pups till the tank is in!

Here's hoping to a dry spell for ya!

Latest posts

Back