First Fishing Trip

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Hofman

Reaction score
Just got back from Branson. The boat ran really well (it DOES help to have the kill switch ON when you go to start the motor, though!). Was kind of disappointed that it was only running at 52 with three in the boat with gear and a full tank, until I realized I was looking at the tach and not the speedo. Hit 59 today with two in the boat and a 1/2 tank. Heard several compliments on the boat, but one guy had the cohones to ask me how I "like that Nitro (motor)," hinting that it was a sub-standard Mercury. My answer was, "Aw, it's just a Mercury with some fancy decals. Nothin' to get excited about, but it IS a good outboard."

Problem: the rub rail came loose on the starboard side and I can't get it completely back in the channel. Any suggestions? And DAAYYEMMM, is that 150 THIRSTY!! WOW!! At $2.50 a gallon, I emptied my wallet really quick.

I posted a fishing report, but can't post pictures. The digital camera wouldn't work, even though the batteries were good. We did catch some gorgeous rainbows, but nothing big. I hooked up one big fish (thought it was a rock until I went to break off the jig -- before I had all of my line stripped off the spool -- and felt the tug, tug, tug of a fish fighting), but then the jig was either torn loose or I didn't have a good set.

Let me tell you, running 55+ on a morning where the temps are in the mid to upper 30's is an experience! The tears were streaking back along our temples and freezing! Yikes.

Taneycomo is a great lake to experience some fantastic rainbow and brown trout fishing.

Mark

Glad to hear the trip was a success. It is always fun to get out with a new boat. I am impressed that you caught fish. I never catch too many fish on the first time out because I am fooling around with the boat too much. Sounds like you have everything under control now that you know the tachometer from the speedo LOL.

That was a great reply to the fellow about the "Nitro" engine. I am not sure where those folks get their information but these are real Mercury engines. As an example, I ordered the service manual for my motor from Mercury Publications. They sent me the wrong manual. I called them and the first comment the person said to me was, "the manual won't say Tracker. Your engine is still a Mercury. The only difference is the decals." To make a long story short they did send me the wrong manual but the point is the engine is pure Mercury. Some folks just don't get it.

Too bad about the $2.50 a gallon. Using the 10% rule, you were using about 15 gallons an hour at WOT. That's some expensive fun.

Bear

Hey, Mark! Glad to hear that your trip was successful! Now, about that break-in time.........

Now, I don't know if you've ever canoed and fished the Current River - but there are some mighty nice fish in there! 20" browns are almost commonplace! Once hooked into one that we estimated to be 30"! Fought him for 45 minutes in a pool until he went for the swift water at the tail and broke my 4# line!

Make you a deal....... You guide me one weekend in the boat and I'll guide you one weekend in the canoe! Heck, maybe more if you can put up with me!

me!
trout

I re-read that first post and should have said "mornings where the temps are in the upper 20's" not upper 30's. The first morning, the temp was 17 when we got up. Second morning it was 27 and the third morning it was 26. I finally had to dig out my Nolan "Darth Vader" full-face motorcycle helmet just so I could see. I looked like a total dweeb, but I WAS comfortable!

Bear, I bought a Mercury outboard service and repair manual (there isn't one for "Nitro-Mercury") and the stuff in the manual speaks right to my Nitro/Merc outboard. And even though it's thirsty, the XR6 cost savings over the Optimax will still let me buy a LOT of gasoline. And I can do some garage, back-yard, or on-the-water repairs myself.

Oh . . . and Scott, about your offer to trout fish the Current - I'll take you up on it. Just as soon as we raise that $100 Million I was talking about at the signup meeting. Until then, I'm gonna be a bit scarce. (But we will spend a Saturday down at "The Ranch". I'll even buy the gas, an' put that ther second console back in the boat fer ya!)

Mark

Here's a photo of a tournament that was getting ready to go on Saturday morning, launching out of the resort just upstream from where our group was staying. It's called the "RAW" tournament.

At the time this picture was taken, I was still tied up in the boat slip, unpacking the Darth Vader helmet and waiting for my motor to warm up.
raw1_02.jpg

No. I'll buy the gas.

And don't worry about the second console.... I've been out with Rich in a 929 on a cold, rainy day without benefit of protection; if I survived his lead foot, I can survive anything!

me!

P.S. The Current River is beautiful this time of year!

Latest posts

Back