First fishing trip this year

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Kayaker

Reaction score
Well, I took my first fishing trip this season and had a good time. I went fishing at a reservoir in NY and the smallies were crushing crankbaits that were bouncing off the bottom into a drop-off. The average weight was around 2 lbs and this one here was the largest I caught at 3lbs 8oz.

Now if only I could do that well the rest of the season!

Smallmouth 3lbs 8oz.jpg

All of the smallies had red around their mouths as they must have been gorging on bait fish. :p

I am planning to go back to NY in another 3 weeks to go striper fishing on the Hudson River as soon as the herring run turns on.

Bill, the Mad Kayaker

That's great Bill:cool: I'll post some pic's of a 5lb 7 oz fatty I busted last week at Dale;)

Hey Bill

Nice fish! Did you do a long day trip or stay over in NY. Where is the lake you were fishing?

I've been to Forge Pond a couple of times last week. No big fish but many small buck bass not to mention the large number of perch and pickerel. All mostly on a jerkbait.

I haven't been to Knopps yet so can't comment on the water level/ramp condition. I do know that they have been inserting boards into the dam so the water level should be on the way up.

Paul

Bill

good to see you got out. is your brother ready to do battle here? i hope as a group effort one of our teams can kick some butt on knopps.

i havent picked up my boat yet. it is supposed to be ready for this weekend, i plan on getting the break in hours done sat and sunday on Canobie. maybee i will bang a couple smallies while we are there.

see you in a couple of weeks.

GregD

Chris - it was pretty cold that morning although it later warmed up but we only fished to about 10am.

Paul - I spent easter weekend in NY. The Ashokan Reservoir supplies water to NYC and is about 90 minutes north of the city. You need to get a special permit in addition to your regular fishing license. You also can only use registered boats (no motors) that have to be chained up there year round. As you might suspect with its tie to NYC, they are pretty strict about this body of water and patrol quite often. Good thing the smallies don't care!

Greg - my brother and I were working out the kinks in NY and should be set to go in two weeks! I haven't even taken the wrap off of my boat yet and will be fishing for the first time from it this season the day of the tournament! I'll be in Vegas this weekend through mid-week next week so I have no time whatsoever to do any fishing from the boat. Hey - I'm sure between both our boats, we will give the others a good run for their money.

Bill, the Mad Kayaker

Hey Tee - that must have been some smallie. Make sure to post a picture when you get a chance! I am researching a local lake up in NH for a smallmouth monster tale I am writing and that 5lb'er would fit right into the tale! Bill, the Mad Kayaker

Hey JDJ - I was definitely thinking of you when I caught my first smallie and I will be thinking of you in my first tournament in two weeks. My dad had cancer in the middle stages and beat it into remission last year and I had a pretty serious drilling into my head at the very end of December and survived that. I'll keep plugging away at learning how to fish and you better keep plugging away as well!

Bill, the Mad Kayaker

Hey Bill,

stoped by Knopps yeterday. it has to be at least 3' low.

i don't know if we can even launch a boat at the state ramp. the last 3 concrete slabs are under water and there is a drop after that.

i put a call into Dave to let him know what i found, well have to if it comes up this weekend. pray for rain.

GregD

Greg

I believe the level of Knopps is controlled by a dam which has boards. Some number of them are removed for the winter then they are slowly put back into place in the spring. The dam just might not be built back up yet.

Paul

Nice fish ! I sure wish I would have landed mine last weekend.

Paul,

is there any word as to when they might put the boards back in place??

i just don't see how we can safetly launch out of the town ramp.

GregD

Not sure Greg. I heard they started the process of putting the boards back in but not sure when that will be done.

Maybe with the soaking on Sunday it will start to fill - I didn't know it would be as low as you saw this past week. How about moving it to the Nashua River nearby? Who picked that place anyway? Bill, the Mad Kayaker

Bill,

i will put a call in to dave today. i have not heard back from him yet,

rumer has it Attitash is at a good level. for a small lake it has great fishing.

i got out on northwood and canobie on Saturday.

the boat runs great, i think i will have to change prop sizes. Gary put a 25p 4 blade trophy in it. the boat jumps out of the hole and runs really well. i will have to wait till it fully broke in the see what she will do.

i have to say it looks and acts like a new boat with the 135opti. i just save myself 34k.

now i don't think i will be looking at a new boat for a while.

i will be in touch this week, i plan on stopping by knopps later this week to check the water level.

GregD

Latest posts

Back