First bass boat

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Perretta

Reaction score
I just bought my first bass boat, it's a 2006 750 dual console with a 90 optimax. I'm having trouble getting used to the handling of the boat. Getting up on plane is fine very similar to any of my previous boats, but pulling back on the throttle and stopping the boat scared the hell out of me. The transom really sinks in and water comes up into the backwash pan? Is this normal, should I be feathering the throttle back slowly? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

De ja vous....We were just posting about this. Don't chop the throttle, let the boat settle naturally and then bump the throttle so that it pushes the boat forward about the time the backwash gets there. The only other thing you can do is turn to the right or left after you come off plane and the wave will pass you by. Also make sure you are not putting all of your gear, etc in the back storage bins.

TOXIC

in adition, trim all the way down prior to pulling the throtle back. you will shed speed and allow the hull to settle in the water. I would also tell you to goose the trotle before the tidle wave comes over the transome.

GregD

Thank Greg, I didn't know about the trim trick. I am as well as the poster just trying to get the timing right when you blip the throttle to stay ahead of the wave.

that was a tip given to me when I got my first bass boat, it helped a lot and i still do that today.

GregD

I have an 05 750 and if I forget to trim that puppy down as I slow I get some water over the transom too. Just practice that and you will get the hang of it. My Procraft before this came to rest a lot flatter, but that was an older heavier boat and used a lot more fuel because of that design. The first time I took mine out I HATED it and it felt unstable, leaned bad, etc. Now I don't think twice about the handling and really like the boat. With that Opti you should have low fuel usage, I have a carbed 90 and it is not bad.

Latest posts

Back