Finally bought a .22 Mag rifle

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TritonGlenn

Reaction score
Well, I finally found a .22 Magnum rifle at a decent price - Bolt action too, which is what I really wanted. I haven't got a chance to shoot it yet, but it's in really good condition, and looks really nice. I found prices ranging from $200 to $450, although most were somewhere around $250 used from what I saw. Funny... I found several references to this gun being sold new for $230, but I can't find any being advertised for that price. The ones asking much more must really think a lot about this little magnum... or they are nuts, which I'm not discounting. :lol:

I bought a laminated stock (brown wood laminate - looks nice) with stainless receiver / barrel Marlin 883SS for $160. Everything seems to be in good working condition. The barrel needs a little never dull to shine it up, but the stock doesn't have any nicks or scratches in it.

I've wanted a .22 Mag rifle for a long time, and this one seems like it's going to fit the bill pretty nice.

Anyone know anything about these from personal experience? Good or bad, I'd really like to know. It was a impulse buy - I saw it and wanted to get it before someone else grabbed it up for that price.

All the best,

Glenn

The shells are expensive about $11 for a box of 50 at walmart, but they do have a pretty good pop to them.

Glenn

I have that Marlin w/composite barrel. I did a 3 pound trigger job on it and it's a shooter. Twice the bullet as a .17 HMR and if you get the Hornady ammo it's shoots pretty hot.

fatrap

Really? They make a composite barrel for this one? Cool. I wonder if they make others? Is your composite barrel black, carbon fiber, or some other finish? If you get a chance, and don't mind, I'd like to see that one. Must look pretty sharp. Thanks for the reply fatrap. That's what I was wondering. BTW - who did your trigger job? Did you do it yourself, or get it sent out? I have to shoot this one first to see how she feels.

All the best,

Glenn

Ha! Not for lack of trying to find one Bill! I've looked for aftermarket parts, and there are very few listed for this firearm. Thumbhole stocks are not one of them.

I really like the thumbholes, but they aren't a necessity. I have other firearms without. The thing about it is - the guns I put thumbhole stocks on - My Remington 700ADL, Remington 597, and T/C Encore, all had composite stocks prior to the change. I prefer wood. If I'm going to take the time and money to change composite to wood, I'm going to get something that feels good to me - and that is why I chose the thumbhole stocks. If it already had wood on it, I probably would have left them alone.

Years ago, I changed over the stock / forearm on my Browning Auto 5 to synthetic. Basically I did that because I found the set in a sale bin for $25. They worked for the time, and I've enjoyed them. Now I'm considering buying a replacement wood set for that one too. And no... they don't make a thumbhole for it. :lol::lol::lol:

All the best,

Glenn

I don't have a .22 mag rifle, but do have a Ruger Single Six with both the std .22 cylinder and the .22 mag cylinder. It's a hoot. I've alway's liked it.

Tex

Tex,

I've got the same pistol too! Love my little 3 screw Ruger Single Six. I seldom ever shoot the .22LR out of it anymore. The .22Mag rounds just group so much better. I've been shooting CCI Maxi-Mag's out of mine, and it really likes them.

A few months back we all went to the range. My coworkers and I do a quarterly gun shoot together. Well this time, my friend Jim bought his family along, and his son was wanting to shoot a pistol (we were all shooting 9mm, .40's and .45's), so I gave him some instruction and handed him my Single Six. I don't think he wanted to give it back. He loved that little revolver. So did many others out there that were shooting autos that day. Here is a picture of him that evening, right before we called it a day:

22magatBulletHoleJPG.jpg

All the best,

Glenn

Glenn, I have the 880SS (22LR). If I recall correctly, the 883 is the same action and trigger setup. Out of the box, the trigger is pretty stiff, but it's a simple mechanism to work on. I tweaked mine, polished the trigger and sear, put in lighter springs. The action always feeds perfectly and has a very consistent feel to it. It's an excellent rimfire rifle. Accurate. Feels good in hand. It's my favorite rifle to carry in the woods.

I'm with you Glenn, if going to the range or even plinking - I load the .22 Mag cylinder.

Accuracy is great with this gun. It's the one I'm going to start my wife on, now that she wants to shoot some.

Tex

Ohhhh man... Let me tell you about Henry firearms and my experiences with them...

When I say "Extremely impressed", it doesn't even begin to describe the customer service and satisfaction I've received with them.

I was going to buy my son a Cricket for his first .22 rifle. Several people mentioned looking at the Henry Mini-Bolt at the same time. Well, it wasn't really a comparison. The Henry just felt so much better, looked so much better, etc... that I couldn't pass it up, even though it costs twice what the Cricket costs. I have no doubt it will outlast the Cricket by a long shot. So I bought it.

Then I discovered (I think on here) that I could get a cantilever scope mount for that little plinker. I checked Henry's website and discovered something I didn't know about them. And I quote (from their website - their Company President talking):

Henry Rifles will only be made in America, or they won't be made at all. - Anthony Imperato, President

So I found the scope mount and started looking at places locally to drill and tap this little rifle for the mount - two holes. That's it. There wasn't a place in town that would touch it for less than $100. Most didn't even want to do it.

So I called Henry and spoke to a VERY polite lady who immediately took care of my problem. She told me to ship it back to them and that they would drill and tap the holes, as well as mounting the scope mount. Cost was the price of the mount, and my shipping to them - and the shipping was only $12. They charged me nothing to drill the holes and mount it, and nothing to send the rifle back to me.

They have a customer for life in me. Excellent customer service. I have my eyes on a few of their rifles, and so do my co-workers (they were kind enough and smart enough to send a current catalog back with my sons rifle :p ).

So in my experience, if you're looking at a Henry, you're shopping smart.

All the best,

Glenn

Thanks Glenn, really appreciate the story and the information. I knew the quality associated with Henry and their products, and it certainly doesn't surprise me that their Customer Service was of the same 'caliber'. :D

Tex

Glenn,

I shoot the Winchester 34gr Supreme loading in my Savage 93. They are deadly accurate, just don't shoot anything you want to eat anywhere but the head. They make a hell of a mess on body shots. I took them up to Northern CA once to shoot ground squirrels as they come out of their holes in the spring. It's a CA thing we do! Shot my .22LR, .22Mag, .223, and .44Mag. Within 100 yards the .22 Mag did more damage than the .223! Beyond 100 yards the .223 tore them up pretty good though. I never did hit one with the .44 but it might have been interesting. I'd have no problem laying into a coyote with those Supremes if it was close enough, 50 yards would be about the max for a coyote.

NoCAL

Glenn I usually do my own triggers. I have a little shop set up in a back room. Got all kind of gunsmithing goodies. Grinders, dremels, drill press, stock working equipment. My stock is plastic by the way.

Latest posts

Back