FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHT TO FISH

• Thread starter arnold helgerson
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arnold helgerson

Reaction score
IN MY LOCAL OUTDOOR NEW PAPER THIS WEEK IS AN ARTICLE. THERE ARE LAKE ASSOCIATIONS AROUND THE COUNTRY THAT ARE TRYING TO PASS A BILL TO STOP PEOPLE FROM FISHING DOCKS AND 100 YARDS AROUND THEM. DONT FORGET THESE DOCKS ARE IN PUBLIC WATER. IF THIS BILL PASSES THAT WOULD EFFECTIVELY END ALL DOCK FISHING AROUND THE COUNTRY. ALSO IT WOULD MEAN NO FISHING WEEDLINES,PADS,REEDS,WOOD OR ANYTHING WITHIN 300 FEET FROM ALL DOCKS. KEEP YOUR EYES AND EARS OPEN FOR THIS INFORMATION AND SEE WHAT WE CAN DO TO KEEP OUR WATERS PUBLIC

Wezel..

Where is "local"... that is an interesting and frightening proposal...

It will never fly around here....the homeowner associations would like it to, but there are way too many people that fish in Michigan.....water is public, just because someones dock is on public water gives them NO right to own it.

Mini

I see this topic a lot on the Bass Zone. The homeowners and one Marina owner on Lake Keystone near Tulsa, are apparently having some luck with the Corp of Engineers on this subject. Few of the lakes I fish on have homeowner docks on them so I don't follow it too closely. The main issue and I have to say I see their point is anglers leaving exposed hooks that have been hung-up on their docks and swimming ladders. Some of these docks are like extensions of the homeowners back porch and I'm sure none of you would appreceate someone leaving a crankbait on the steps of your back porch. The one lake I do fish that has that sort of situation I am very carful to retrieve any hung-up bait. Once I noticed a lady really giving me the eye while I was trying to get my bait off her dock. When I got it off I held it up and showed her and she gave me a friendly wave. I don't think these folks are trying to keep all the fish for themselves, they just don't want hooks in their kids feet.

Harpo

Well if anyone leaves a bait on a dock, they should be harassed. Geeze, maybe I am getting old, but I call it respect. I dont want to see anyone getting hurt or cause damage to anyones property. That is why i excersize caution around pontoons, docks, etc. If I happen to get hung up on a dock, I will leave the boat (unless I cannot in a tournament) to retrieve my mistake. If I cant leave the boat, I will try to summon someone on land. Kids will usually do it, especially when I tell them they can keep the bait for cleaning up after me.

Mini

I will get the bait back either way leaving the boat or not.

Next thing you know is there are going to be people telling us we cant fish around trees because our lines and lures we loose are harming the enviornment...GEEZE

T.S.

Well I do agree that discarded fishing line is a bad thing. People need to AT LEAST cut it up in short pieces. If you have ever had to help a duck, gull or anyother bird get free of fishing line you would know what I mean.

But as for banning fishing for it? As soon as PETA stops killing people we can talk.....

Mini

I own a dock on a Corps controlled lake, so I see both sides of this issue.

The key for me is how anglers behave. It's not only unretrieved baits (a big problem), but also abuse of people's property. Litter is a problem. Can't tell you how many bottles, cans, and Twinkie wrappers we pick up. And then there is theft of property off docks, too. The homeowners naturally blame anglers, usually the only other folks around. In a few cases, they are probably right.

Hopefully, anglers will police themselves, be good custodians of other people's property, and this issue will go away. It's up to each of us.

Right on Rich! And why can't people think of it as THEIR land and lakes and then maybe they'd think twice? Naaahhhhh.....most don't even use that thing between their ears. And another thing....why is it when I pull up in my boat to the dock and someone IS fishin'...they give ME the look like I shouldn't be there? Yeah right...wrong person if you expect anything from me! Guaraaaanteed!

TEE

And there's the rest of the story.....I know this has been hashed before here and I believe that there are two sides to the story.

I personally have no issue with someone retrieving their lure from my dock and prefer that they do, but what about the boats that are tied up to the docks and the owner finds lures buried in their seats, decks, ladders, covers, hung on windshields, and wrapped around the motor? Sadly some individuals that boat just don't respect others property. I find that fishermen are much more respectable on the water then pleasure boaters are but I have witnessed that both leave trash, urinate and defecate in the water in plain view of homeowners. On more then one occasion I have witnessed guys pull up to a dock get off the boat and walk onto someone's property and urinate behind the shed or woodpile. Sorry, but that just is not right, trespassing and indecent exposure is still against the law. I can see where dock owners wouldn't want anyone within a 100ft range of their docks and boats.

In New Hampshire, my lawyer informed me that dock ownership also includes liability and I do have the right to say who can use my dock. If the dock was permanent I would also get to pay taxes on it. Along with that if someone gets hurt on the dock I am also liable and although NH is a no insurance requirement state, I carry liability insurance on the dock. A whole other topic, but in a state that does not require insurance is scary in that I have learned many people do not insure their boats, snowmobiles, and jet skis for liability or fire & theft. One guy told me that he couldn't afford the toys if he insured all of them. Thats just nuts to me to not insure your toys for liability, fire and theft. Most places you can cover them under your homeowners.

The bottom line is that most people do respect other peoples property and don't litter or urinate in view of others, but it's the few bad apples that ruin it for everyone else. It should be interesting to see how the petition goes, I wouldn't be surprised to see it pass.

Cass :)

From the fisherman's perspective, if I step on your dock, I am trespassing.

The only answer that makes everyone happy is no fishing near docks... when I say "happy", it's no concern over me leaving hooks on your dock or you accusing me of trespassing. However, until there are rules saying that we can't do it, we must to stay competitive.

I am NOT for such rules by the way.

I own a dock and don't mind people fishing around it, just when they decide to get out on it, partcularly when it is visibly posted (No Trespassing). The water is public, the docks are private. I wouldn't recomend trespassing on anyone's private property. You never know to what extent a stranger is willing to go, to protect his property. A good dock alarm is under $500 and most can be integrated with your home system as a new zone.

I own a lakefront cottage in northern Michigan. My dock is 80 feet long due to the shallow water around the point where I am located. I have sunk numerous brush piles around the area at the end of the dock, which have become very well known around the lake as a good area to wet a line. I encourage fishermen to fish there and even point them in that direction if they ask about a good spot to go. I have a small "no trespassing on the dock" sign, and another small sign which reads "please retrieve your snagged lures." These signs are "blaze orange" and affixed to the end facia board of the dock, very close to the water. You really can't miss them. So far, I've had absolutely no problems and many a good conversation with fisherman coming through the area. I think if you encourage a good rapport, let them know you don't mind if the area is fished and welcome them to retrieve their snagged lures instead of them rushing off in a panic because of broke off or snagged lure, it will go a long way in establishing good harmony. I've even had people knock on my door or leave notes advising me of a lure they were'nt able to retrieve.

I wish a lot more people had that same attitude and signage Smitty,....that's an excellent example for EVERY dock owner to follow!! You De'Man!!! It's all about mutual respect, with even more responsibilty on the boaters behalf,... PLEASE RESPECT the dock owners property!!!

Mac

Smitty,

I like the signs and will try to get them on my dock and boathouse.

It also reminds me of the quandry of don't trespass, but retrieve your snagged lures. Sort of like "everybody freeze..... get on the floor". Which do you want? Us to freeze or get onto the floor? :)

Hopefully most people would clue in that it is ok to be on my dock if they are retrieving a lure.

david....

I wish everyone would sink brush piles at the end of their docks....LOL

T.S.

Last year when fishing a shoreline close

to a gentlemans dock.He came out very upset

at me.After he calmed down and relized I was

not a problem he apologized.He then told me

about some of the things stolen from his dock

most notably the motor off his fishing boat

one night.I can understand some of the

frustrations of dock owners but we have the

right to fish the water.A few bad apples ruin

the whole basket.

Ya, Mac. Just don't try to catch their PET 6lb bucketmouth!!!LOL

Craig

Another item in the - 'don't fish near my dock' scenario.

Down on Santee Cooper, it's not that unusual to being fishing a line of docks in one of the creek channels, and find that the owner has distributed 6-8 'cheap-o' rods and reels out as if they are fishing. In truth, they are not fishing at all. They have very heavy line tied to 2-3 oz weights, with no hooks/bait. They are simply 'protecting' their dock.

Also not unusual to find where someone (up in a creek arm or in the back of a cove), will tie up their boat, using both sides of the bank - effectively blocking you from entering/fishing the water.

Tex

LOL...I've been B#@%@'d at plenty of times by dock-owners for trying to "catch their pets!"...LOL....Ya REALLY wana light their fire???...Stick that toad then toss'er in the livewell!!! LOL...They come un-glued!!! Then, when they threaten to call the DNR or the cops,....tell them,.."Would you like to borrow my cell phone??,..I'll wait right here if you'd like,....just make sure you pronounce and spell my name right!!"......Kill'em with kindness.....they can't handle it!! LOL

Another trick that dockowners use is to nail old firehose in loops around the outside edge. I'm sure most do it as a cheap bumper for boats but it is also a lure magnet. Worst tricks of all, hanging pieces of old nets just out of sight under the docks. Rob told of guys sinking old bedsprings in key locations and coming back to "harvest" the lures. I have actually had people start slapping the water with an oar or pole....I avoid as much confrontation as possible and totally respect other people's property but this one dude REALLY ticked me off and after he sat there and beat the water for 5 minutes....I asked him..So? Looks like you want me to leave....He said "I sure do", I say "no problem", put on my vest, sit down crank over the big motor (all the while the wind is blowing me closer and closer to his dock, I am about 10 feet away), raise my trim and blow about 300 gallons of water into his boat and dockhouse at about 1/2 throttle.....I apologized, I swear I thought my motor was down...hehehehehe.

TOXIC

Rule of the road----treat all people with respect.

Exception to the rule-Dunk em'!!

Tox, that guy with the oar was wrong.

You were twice as wrong.

Latest posts

Back