Lack of fishing ettiquette almost ended with a fight!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty C.

Reaction score
:angry:When I was fishing Saturday, a couple of nice guys trolled around me and told me that there was a couple of rednecks causing trouble that were coming our way. The guys told us that they were trolling around a point at a moderate speed when the two rednecks zoomed by them at a fast speed and very close to their boat. The redneck that was in the passenger seat, flicked a cigarette butt at them when they went by causing a small burn in the guys carpet. They said the wake alone made them feel like they were at sea. They dismissed their rude behavior and continued to fish.

Eventually, they caught up with the rednecks due to they were trolling at a much faster speed. To show sportsmanship, the nice guys just trolled to the other side of the cove to give plenty of room to the rednecks. When they cut accross, one of the rednecks yelled, "How did you like those waves?" To avoid a ugly seen, the nice guys just ignored the comment and continued to go to the other side of the cove. The redneck yelled the same comment again. When he did not get a reply, he yelled "F-you!" The rednecks started their engine and headed right for them. They again came close to hitting them and soon as they got in front of the nice guys, they turned off their engine and started fishing right in front of the nice guys, not giving them any room to fish other than back-tracking.

The nice guys had enough of those two a$$hole clowns, so they decided to crank up and go further down from them, where they met me. When they went past the rednecks, the driver shot them a bird.

Well, after the fist-fight episode that had occured a month or so ago, I was just sure this stood a good chance of being the same guy since I was only a mile from the ramp where the incident took place. I wasn't going to be mr. niceguy and let them try that crap with me. I took my seat post off of my seat and too my spare prop out in case I needed to bash or throw at something or someone.

Not a minute went by until the rednecks come towards me at a fast idle. They were getting kind of close so I stopped fishing and starred at them with a pissed off expression, letting them know I didn't appreciate it. It didn't look like the guy who got the crap beat out of him at the boat launch. The driver turned the boat and they went around me without incident. They did look at each other and had a chuckle about it. I also noticed that they had several beer bottles in view. I am not sure about the legalities of drinking and boating, but I don't think you can drink and boat in Georgia.

Before I left to go load up, I stopped to check on the nice guys I had met. They said the rednecks had made one last pass at them and when they got close the redneck driver said "You guys think you are better than us because you have a nice boat, don't you" and threw a can of dip at them. It came a few feet of hitting the boat. Finally, one of the nice guys threw a pair of pliers at the rednecks. They said it didn't even come close to hitting them but they got the message and flew out of there WOT.

What has the world come to? Since when can you not even go to the lake without getting in a fight either launching a boat or on the water? Why does someone have to act like an a$$ just because they have a piece of crap boat. So, because he has a crappy boat, everyone else has to have one too? Hasn't anyone ever heard of fishing ettiquette? Geeeeze! I would have left in cuffs when they made the first pass flicking the cigarette butt causing a carpet burn in my boat. I have seen two fist-fights this year, several cussing matches, my wife received a ticket for fishing without a license when she wasn't fishing and these two morons, all in a 7 month span. Is there something in the water that is causing a overload of idiots to come fish this year? I think I am going to find another lake to fish. Can anyone recommend any places to fish on Lake Alatoona?

Short version. To many idiots and not enough bulletts. This year does seem to be the worst I have ever seen. The more people in the world, on the land, on the water ect. Means more butheads. The gene pool is pretty shallow in some families.

Any idea how far you can throw a 3/4 oz Rattletrap with a spinning reel and 4 lb test. At least on Champlain while I was there they where just rude (cutting between me and the point while I was fishing the point). Granted they live there and I was a visitor (boat #'s give us away). You would think with all the real problems in the world to worry about, shareing water seems so trivial?

BF

My Mama used to say,"There's a whole lot more horsesasses in the world than there are horses". I'm 55 and there's been ignorant jerks since I can remember.

Harpo

THEY ARE EVERYWHERE!!!!:lol::angry:

I have to honestly and regretfully say, " I don't deal with a$$holes very well"!:wacko:

Rusty - Pleae add this number to your cell phone: 1-800-241-4113. It is the main dispatch for the GA DNR. (Northern Sector) They will dispatch an officer immediately if you'll provide them with a good location, boat/occupant ID, hull numbers. They cover Lanier, Hartwell, Allatoona and quite a bit more in N. GA. For a rapid response on Lanier use this number: 770-535-5499. That'll ring at the ranger station here in Gainesville. (About a half mile from my house.) They have units on the water at all times (at Gainesville Marina) and can be at the dam or Clark's Bridge in 15 min. or less. These people need to be reported every time and incident like you describe occurs. I know it's terrible to have to go through all this, but they need to be removed (in some form or another) from our shared, public waterways. Unfortunately, no matter where you go, you run into people like you described. When you do, I strongly advise calling one or both of the numbers I've listed. I've seen the boys in green at work here and they don't mess around on Lanier. Too many people on weekends/holidays. That's why I rarely leave the dock on Sat. & Sun. No way would I go or recomend this weekend out there. The lake is bound to have its' share of drunks in battleships plowing around. After this weekend, it's a whole different story. Just hold on 'til then!

Your in luck Rusty - the Hybrid and Stripes are just starting to school on 'toona.

Be on the water by 7am and just look for top water activity. I've been fishing between Illinois creek and Victoria - Mostly between Kellogg and Illinois. Took my wife out friday and caught 9 - the best were 2 four pounders (one hybrid and one striper).

Don't be fooled though - Alatoona has it's fair share of idiots. I only fish during the week until it gets colder. BTW I wasn't referring to Trep when I said a fair share of idiots :)

What lake were you on when this happened?

JGarrow,

This happened at West Point, Yellow Jacket access. The actions themselves took place at the two points and coves next to Highland Marina.

I have been wanting to go to Alatoona anyway. It's much closer to me. I just don't know much about the lake. I heard arount Red Top is pretty good.

Never, and I mean NEVER throw a $400 chunk of metal at idiots. A prop is way too valuable to end up in the water. :) If it was an aluminum prop, that's a whole other story.

Rusty,

Did you get their registration numbers and report them to DNR?

On lanier the only near fight episode I've had is with one idiot on a waverunner and a boatload of young punks in a wakeboard boat. I was too mad to remember the numbers on the boat, but reported the waverunner.

Nope. I was too caught up in what was going on to think of that logical solution:D! I don't think I even have a pen or pencil in the boat. I think I am going to keep my cell phone with me. It's bad when you have to have DNR's number in your cell phone speed dial.

Latest posts

Back