Expensive Mistake?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trackster

Reaction score
I just bought a 55vpound thrust 12 terrova with I pilot. My boat is a tracker 175 txw and falls within the weight maximum for that motor. I'm seeing where others would have gone with a 70 pound thrust unit. Does anyone have experience with this set up. I would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks

Unless you intend to fish in very strong winds, I think you will do fine with the 55. I would agree that my choice would be for the 70 but your boat is likely in the performance range for the 55.

Unless you intend to fish in very strong winds, I think you will do fine with the 55. I would agree that my choice would be for the 70 but your boat is likely in the performance range for the 55.
Hey Larry, I appreciate your input. It looks like I'm on the line of going either way. I'm gonna find out. Are you able to get out to fish yet?

I'm in South Lousiana, we get to fish all year long. We have had a lot of high water is spring and that's still an issue but there generally lots of options of where to be. A lot of our waters are still out in the woods beyond normal bank structure where they can't be accessed so it makes for a tough fishery in the Spring.

I agree with 70lb thrust but 55 should handle things. Your avg dry weight is around 1,000 lbs if i'm not mistaken. Depending upon the where you fish, factors such as current, amount of freeboard, additional weight, typical wind and chop all play a role in when to upsize. I errored with my Nitro Z19...installed the 80lb minn kota ultrex and now wish I had upgraded to 112lb unit. The Z19 is a bit heavier then the 175 txw…..has 1,850 lbs dry weight. Live and learn I suppose.

Latest posts

Back