Engine Upgrade

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Lowe

Reaction score
I have a 1997 Nitro 700LX dual console with a Mercury 75 hp on it. Would upgrading to a 90 be of any benefit?

brojohn.

What are you trying to gain? 15 hp isn't gonna do much for you...period. Is the 75 shot? If your upgrading the engine because you want more top end you might get 2mph if that. Maybe a little better holeshot. Changing motors is not the best move cost wise. If money is not a problem Your better off moving up a grade or two. Then you have lots of added room also.

I had a Nitro DC 17. Basically the same boat. I had them put a 90hp on it when I bought it. A local guy that fished my circuit bought the same boat only a single console with a 75hp. Back then they were Evinrudes. I did have more holeshot than him and my Nitro was a pig with two people and full livewell. His slightly worse not much. I ran 44mph gps all trimmed out. He ran about 41. I had a stainless prop he kept the aluminum. I put the stainless steel on because I thought I'd get more speed. With that size engine, I was told later, I actually lost a teeny bit. So I spend some $$ put a jack plate on. That just screwed up my already middle of the road hole shot now matter how much I twinked it. The only reason I left it on was I spent a lot of money on it and it really looked cool. If speed is your thing I believe you can get a z6 that will run about 50mph that is 17 foot long. the z7 will run about 60mph.

On most the lakes I ran on the difference in 5mph was some other guy was just getting his troller down when I pulled up on him.

If the size of your boat suits you just be happy with what you have.

fatrap

The other thing fatrap left out is the improvement in gas mileage from 97 to 2012. The rest of his post is right on.

Latest posts

Back