Engine question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Lyons

Reaction score
I have a 95 Nitro 160 TF with 60 HP carbed Mercury. I rebuilt the carbs and cleaned or replaced almost everything for the fuel system. Pulled the tank out of the boat and cleaned it out. After the rebuild I set the idle on the carbs after the engine warmed up on the pucks. (as per the manual) I haven't tried it in the water in gear as the manual also states. I have taken the boat out 3 times since all the work was done.

When I start the engine it resists, meaning I choke it 3-4 times prior to start and it starts, then slows to maybe 2 possibly 1 cylinder firing for few seconds then dies. I restart it then advance the throttle a little with out engaging the prop. Engine works ok. Then I try to place in gear and it dies. Restart and place in gear and off it goes Runs fine, Slow down and maybe 2 of 5 times it dies. it seems to starve slightly when advancing the throttles in gear, I did push the choke at this point and it did pick right up. At WOT it runs like new, just at slow speed it seems to have troubles. Every restart it acts exactly the same way.Do I have a cold blooded merc??? temps been a little low here when running. Water pressure appears real good.

Last weekend went to the Bushy Park, (freshwater side) launch and it did the same thing, I decided to use the main motor for trolling. Trolled for quite some time and it worked just fine. Used the motorguide and then went through the same troubles starting the merc up again..

I can't figure out the trouble, This engine used to start right up and idle smoothly and operate as you desired when in use.

Can anyone advise what to look for or correct?? Synching the throttles was accomplished, Timing check not done due to lack of correct tools for this engine.

Like to get "Old reliable" back!!!

Caught 3 fish, one keeper (crappie) One gator surfaced about 4 feet away and stared us down until me motored off,( fairly quick I might add.) 7 Ft puppy, My bass boat is low to the water and a 7 ft gator during nesting season would have absolutely no trouble coming inside and letting us know we are to close to the nest. They are usually not a problem, just during mating season they get a bit cranky about boats....

Michael

My 2004 115 ELPTO is kinda the same way.. Once it warms up runs great all day at all rpms, in the morning I need to kick in the ars to get going sometimes. I think humidity and temp. have an effect on these 2 stroke carbed mercs..

Latest posts

Back