Engine Question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barry Loos

Reaction score
I have a 2001 40 hp Mercury that I just started in the driveway yesterday since putting up in November. The engine fired right up. After running for 10 minutes I shut it off and changed to a fresh set of spark plugs. Fired it back up and ran the engine for another 5 minutes. For some reason the engine would not idle. If I keep the rpm

Bob:

Your suggestion was the answer. I turned the screw a full quarter and the rpm's went a bit high while idling in gear. So I turned the screw back just a little and the revs dropped right in range. Now it starts great, accelerates real good, and idles better than it ever has. I wound up turning the screw out about 3/16 instead of a quarter turn. If it changes in warmer weather I'll move it back.

Thanks Bob. Hope to help you sometime.

Bear

Sorry...fat fingers

Bob,

You're help and knowledge on this board is invaluable...thanx from all of us!!!!

SOMEONE, please convince Bob to become a member! I'll even pay his membership fee. (Generous of me, eh?)

How 'bout we name Bob the Resident Tech?

MO

Bob's good folk. Little secret: he is the service manager where I buy my boats from :)

Bear - I've got the same engine (2000 40hp) where is that idle screw? I'm not very motor technical and can't figure out which one. My motor idles a little too high for me after my last tune up (sounds like the opposite of yours) and it idles a little too fast for trolling.

Can you give me a bit of help to figure out which one it is?

Ken's right, Bob has been an extremely helpful asset to this board. Great advice!

Not to slight Bob at all, but does anyone know what happened to Jim Lively? Haven't heard from him in a long time...noticed he doesn't post on BFHP, either. Always valued his technical prowess as well.

JL...are you lurking out there???

Thanks Bob and Bear (for the e-mail) under the weather today, got the stomach flu, so will get back to you guys in a few days. Bob, I have a fax # but since I work from home I need to know it's comming in and then I connect my Fax to the phone line (MR Techie here has not figured out how to get my BellSouth voice mail to work with the Fax machine).

Bob and Bear - Feeling much better, get to go to Chuck E Cheese for dinner! No, it's not my idea, Noah turned 5 today!

I got out and checked on the right side of the carborator and sure enough there is the screw sticking out that is tapered and when the throttle is in nuetral, it rests on that screw. So in about 3 weeks, when I get chance to get back on the water, i'll warm her up and idle her down. Thanks guys.

By the way, for my old 5hp I just used to run her in a big trash can (used to salt water fish every weekend, and would rinse the motor out after every use), other than things like checking the idle, what would I need a set of water ear muffs for? I need some ANGLE to convince Beka its a necessity!

So that when you can't go fishing, you can sit in the driveway with the engine actually running!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY NOAH!!! Eat your Wheaties and take your vitamins so you'll grow up to be bigger than your dad!!!!

I knew there was a reason Ken! That way I don't have to make all those Vroom Vroom noises that the neighboors think is so strange.

It won't take much to grow "bigger" in weight than Dad! At 130lbs i'm at my heaviest to date at 35!

Latest posts

Back