Engine Alarm

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Stamer

Reaction score
For Bob B

Just returned from a trip to Mark Twain Lake in Missouri which was cut short when an engine alarm sounded on my 1995 Merc 75 hp 2 stroke. It started when I crossed a wake (came down pretty hard) and I immediately stopped to check things out. I was getting water out of the pee hole and the oil reservior was about 70% full. Fortunately I was close to the ramp and was able to load out OK. I

Is the alarm still going off, or did it sound briefly then shut-off?

Still going off. I have not tried to start it but the alarm sounds whenever I turn the key to the on position. Short steady beeps until I turn the Key off.

There should be two wires under the tank. Disconnect the two leads. If the buzzer stops, chances are the sensor OR the tank could have faulted. Check here first. Do not forget to check the ignition switch leads as well, if loose they could be a contributor. Let me know...;)

Low Oil Sensor Test

Low oil sensor is located in bottom of oil tank.

1. 1997 and Prior Models - Disconnect low oil sensor leads (BLUE) between oil tank and

warning module.

1998 and Newer Models - Disconnect low oil sensor leads (LIGHT BLUE) from TAN/

BLUE and BLACK leads.

2. Using an ohmmeter, perform both tests in chart, following.

Oil Level in

Oil Tank

Test Leads

Between

Scale Reading

(x__________)

1/2 Full to Full Low Oil Sensor Leads (BLUE)

No Continuity*

(R x 1)

Empty Low Oil Sensor Leads (BLUE)

Continuity**

(R x 1)

* If continuity is indicated, check to see if float (located inside oil tank) is stuck in place or

if magnet (attached to bottom of float) has come loose. If float checks OK., replace sensor.

** If continuity is NOT indicated, check to see if float (located inside oil tank) is stuck in place.

If float is NOT stuck in place, replace sensor (bottom of oil tank - remove screw and retract SENSOR.

let me know.....;)

WOW... This may be getting a little over my head but I'll see how far I can go with it.

Thanks again and you certainly are an asset to this board.

Rich

Back