Electric Brakes

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark barton

Reaction score
I have never had electric brakes and I always unplug when dropping in. When I went to get trailer after day of fishing I backed up and trailer jumped like it hit something. I went and looked cause I did not know what was going on. I was able to back up after with no problems. I did not have unit plugged in and later found out I should have been plugged in or have some washer put in which I didn't. Question is did I do any damage to the brakes?

I doubt seriously you have electric brakes on a boat trailer. You have surge brakes that release when put in reverse because the signal is sent to the solenoid to release the brakes. To test how much damage you did, try backing up slowly with the boat on the trailer with the harness unplugged, You should get a LOT of resistance to almost the point that the trailer wheels should start to slide without releasing. Is this a 4 wheel trailer with drum brakes, 2 of which have brakes and 2 don't. Or 2 wheel trailer or do you have disc brakes? I suspect the hop is because you have drum brakes. In either case you'll probably need to bleed and adjust the brakes (disc brakes don't require adjusting, its done automatically), disc brakes when bled, will have more resistance spinning than drum. inspect drum components (if drum brakes) as they probably grabbed then suddenly released. My pontoon boat trailer has 4 wheel disc brakes and you can't back it up without the backup pin or harness plugged in.

Looks like a trip to the mechanic. The manual says hydraulic brake actuators. It has a 5 plug connector coming out of the trailer.

Yep, hydraulic surge brakes made by whom? (actuator maker?) UFP? Disc or Drum? Take it to a regular trailer repair shop, not a marine shop. Regular trailer shops are better versed in repairs

They came on Ranger trailer. Is there a way to check and see if they are working?

Latest posts

Back