ebay message or scam???

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob LaMoy

Reaction score
Anyone ever get this e-mail, supposedly from ebay?

SECURITY SERVICE

Attention id number: 32736957321504

Dear customer. Please read this message and follow it's instructions

Unauthorized Account Access

We recently reviewed your account, and we suspect an unauthorized ATM based transaction on your account. Therefore as a preventive measure we have temporary limited your access to sensitive features.

To get started, please click the link below:

Is this real or some scam TO get me? If it's real, I want to act, but if not, I don't want to open myself up to a scam.

The easiest way to tell if this one or any (i get them for ebay and paypal) is to move your cursor over (do NOT click) the "link" they provide and look down to the lower left corner of your browser and see if the URL that shows up is correct or not. If its ebay it will start with www.ebay.com, if it starts with ANYTHING else, its a phishing expidition (trying to get you to give them info).

Trep... while that is generally a good idea, some scammers make the URL so close that if you are not paying close enough attention, it will look good.

Best advice...

1.) Assume any/all email similar to this (from any source... bank, credit cards, paypal, ebay, etc...) is a scam. I do not believe that any sources use email to alert of fraudulant activity... I think they still use humans to do that.

2.) If you want to follow up on one, do not use the email links at all... close the email... open a _NEW_ browser window and navigate to your account(s) in the normal manner... if there is an issue with your account, you'll be able to fix it that way as well.

Surf Safe!!!

If it is really from e-bay, they will send you a message to "my account" and check your messages. I am talking about your account on e-bay, check your messages. I get a couple of these type of e-mails every week.

Rob,

This is a scam that is trying to get your account info. I received a similar email for my Ebay account and I contacted them about it. I was told that they have seen this before and not to click on the link. When Ebay sends a legit email they will not have a link in it. They will tell you to log on to your account to access it.

Regards, Bill L.

It's a scam... they will just ask you to verify your bank account and SS# and password and thats all they want. Turn it into e-bay and the federal gvt. I don't have the link handy but you do want to turn it in and not just ignore it.

BF

It is a scam, but the chances are no agency is going to do anything about it. I sent one to the FBI and called their office here in Omaha and pretty much was told that it is so low priority that it would never get any attention outside of being filed. Unless there is no other crime they are not able to pursue it. Ebay outside of noting it has no jurisdiction. Some of these links take you to what looks like a sign in screen for ebay and then when you input your userid and password they have it. it would be great if the law enforcement folks had time and personnel but they really can't handle the flood of scam on the internet.

I work on the phishing fraud team here at a national bank. I assure you this is a phishing scam. All financial institutions have started informing customers that they will NEVER ask you to provide confidential information via a link in an email. Our security department will not let us place any links in our emails.

Guys, please get the word out there ! I have seen too many people loose money to these scams. We are loosing millions per year due to these scams. Unfortunately, the victims that have been scammed, don't realize it until it's too late.:angry:

Thanks guys. I wish I was tech savvy enough to be able to go in without getting nailed and leave some really nasty virus for them instead. THERE take that info and run with it scumbags!!!

Latest posts

Back