drop shot rigs

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Ingersoll

Reaction score
Got a poll for the drop shot users on here.

What size hooks do you regularly use when nose hooking small baits?

What size and style sinker (round/cylindrical/lead/tungsten)

I am currently using a #2 gammie split shot/drop shot hook for most baits - occasionally a #4 or #1. I do feel I am using to heavy a sinker, usually a 3/8 or 1/2 ounce round and have just started using the cylindrical style some - all lead. I am usually fishing 15 to 20 feet deep.

The reason I am asking is my upcoming Stren on Norfork in Northern Arkansas. The water has 10-12 foot visibility (my clearest water is 3 foot) and the fish can be caught up to 50 foot depending on conditions. I've got to restock weights and am wondering if I should go with the same or try something new.

I'm not looking to make radical changes, but am willing to make small ones if some fine tuning could help.

I use #2 and #3, with 1/8 oz round sinker for rocky areas, and I will also use up to 1/2 oz round for super deep water with current, like up on the St Lawrence, last year my Dad caught a Smallie in 70ft of water with current using this rig. i have also used a walleye rig in high current in about 20 foot, where you use(not sure of the name) that thing that is shaped like a V and sticks in the ground at the bottom and holds your gulp there. Oh yeah I also use gulp 3 and 4" minows in Smelt

Here is a California secret, the #2 Gammi splitshot/Dropshot hook is favored. Try using a #4 G-Lock style hook, BPS make one also for a lot less than Gammi.

As far as weights I use the cylinder style for most applications because it doesn't snag as much in the rocks, grass, and reeds. I do use the round weights for deep presentations requireing a fast fall.

And always, Florocarbon line, Berkley 100%.

I currently use the BPS XPS flouro and am satisfied, but I am going to try the Berkley 100%. I have not seen a single bad review on it and most people are raving about it.

I agree with Gutz. I also have a friend that instead of a weight on the bottom he uses either a work with a heavier ball jig head or even a jig. Actually I don't think that set up is legal and for a stren probably not. He does catch some on the worm also as it kicks up some silt/mud ect.....

Just an idea if it is legal where you are!

Randy!

Personally I use a #1 Gammie EWG and for most applications a 1/4 oz cylinder weight. I also Texas Rig most of my baits and not nose hook. I differ because I really like mono in a dropshot situation. I want the stretch that mono gives. I use 8lb and lighter line also. I don't really like tungsten for the weight it has a little too much "feel" for me when dragging the bottom.

TOXIC

yes they work well if your not good a tiein the normal hooks right

Yes,. thats all I use is the standout hooks and they work great.It does save alot of time when tying the hook on.

I use a #1 or #2 Rebarb hooks with 6lb. mono. and the a drop shot ball weight. I like the Rebarb hooks because they seem to hold the 4" hand-pour worms with no slipping down the shank of the hook, it works great for me. I will have to try some 6 lb. florocarban line one of these days. Been using this set since 1998, except for the weight since there were no drop shot weights around at that time, at least that I knew of.

Velcro,Have you fished Norfork before?I pretty much cut my fishing teeth on this lake.It is a great lake without alot of traffic.It is also a good jig lake depending on the time of year.I have seen it to have up to 22ft visibility in late summer.I've got some spots if you want to email me. [email protected]

Thanks guys!

The cylinder weights are going to get a 'shot' this season.

There has been a few other ideas that I'll try on for size also.

I'm with TOXIC,use the same #1 EGW hook ,and usually P-line fluoro if gin clear water,otherwise Gamma co ploymer.As far as weights ,I use 1/8 3/16 1/4 bell weights or the round drop shot weights.I am always amazed at how well that #1 hook,STICKS those big bass 5 lbs and up!!!

The number one hardest thing to teach clients on the dropshot is how to set the hook!! Thin wire hooks will slice right through a bass' mouth with a regular hookset. All day long with a Senko, I am tellin them to "cross their eyes" and then I rig up a dropshot and have to get them to check their swing. I get the same old story a lot... "I can't get a good hookup with a dropshot". 9 times out of 10 it's because of the hookset. Sweep to the side or do what I call the "pop" hookset. If you are using light line, good equipment is a must because you are not gonna horse in a big bass on dropshot. Either back reel, if you are so skilled, or let your drag do its job. It's hard to trust your equipment when the drag is singing and you are waiting for the dreaded "pop"!!

TOXIC

Latest posts

Back