Drop Shot weight

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herndonpro

Reaction score
Getting a little more into drop shotting, spent some time this winter chasing the small bass on the hot side of Anna with it. I've had good success, but I'm getting hung in the rocks more than I would like. What shape weights do you guys use for different types of cover?

Thanks, Steve

Diamond cut weights help some if you;re getting hung up. Or, try this to keep from getting hung in rocks. Use the cylinder shape and put a short piece of soda straw on the weight. It will ride over the rocks like a bottom bouncer.

Steveo....you are in my world now!! I even converted Carlos to a dropshotter!! Where to begin?.....Weights, if in rocks, I use either the BPS cylinder type (cheap and fair quality) or Quick Drop which are a little more expensive but are very high quality. I lose a lot less but after all is said and done it is about the same. I use 1/4 oz 95% of the time. Sometimes on St Clair I step up a size. The Quick Drop are made with a very high quality "harp" and swivel and it makes a huge difference. Cheap harps cut your line and cheap swivels don't allow the weight to roll through rocks/cover. I really like the Quick drops the best of everything I have tried. They are teardrop and I have had the same weight on for multiple trips even when fishing rocks/timber. They are made by a fellow Yamamoto pro-staffer (Marc Mercantino)who fishes the Columbia river out West for smallies and he was having a problem finding a quality weight so he made his own. Make no mistake I am finesse fishing with a DS. 6-8 lb mono on a spinning setup with a 6'8" rod, medium action/fast tip. Gamakatsu has just come out with a special dropshot hook built on a swivel to eliminate line twist. My problem is that I use a Gamakatsu #1 (not 1.0) EWG hook and Texas rig my baits. That is contrary to the standard nose hook with a dropshot hook. Both work but in cover, you will snag up a lot more with an exposed hook. I use the Yamamoto kut-tail and pro-senko (5 inch) almost exclusively. Once you get the hang of it, it will be hard to put down.

Thanks for the information guys. I'll experiment with some weights and see what works best. What is the heaviest line you'll use in fairly clear water?

Steve

Take a look at KMR Lures drop shot weights. Some cool innovations. I use the standard pencil type and have had some pretty good success using it. They are lead, not tungsten. Tungsten is too expensive!!! :)

www.kmrlure.com

I had to switch to non-lead weights for anything 1/2 ounce or less in Vermont. Costs me ~ $1 when I lose a drop shot weight!

There are times I use straight braid on a drop shot too. It doesnt matter....fish are stupid! lol

Latest posts

Back