Depth Finder Question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
Ok mechanical men, I need your help. I have taken the Banana Boat in twice because the fish finder would not give a reading at all. They have replaced the unit and now the transducer. I called to see if I could pick it up and he said after he thought about it, it wasn't a problem with either. He said because I have a built in depth finder in the dash and there was no way to turn it off, it was knocking out any signal from the fish finder. He said I can not use 2 depth finders at the same time. He installed a switch to turn the dash depth finder off and said any time I am using the fish finder, I need to turn the dash depth finder off. I swear they both worked the first time I took the boat out because we noticed the two depths were off by about 2 feet. So, my question is he correct that you can't run 2 depth finders at once?

That is a big bunch of bull CRAP. I run two Garmins on my Targa, and two Eagles on the Stratos. There are thousands of boats that run two all the time.

He's giving you the run around.

Ask him 'who' gave him permission to install ANYTHING not standard on your boat. And if he drilled any holes to mount this switch - then someone (namely him) is in BIG TROUBLE!

Tex

I run an eagle at the trolling motor and a 'Bird 200 at the console, no problems. There are a few models/brands that do interfere with each other (someone will jump in), just don't remember which ones.

I'll disagree with TT..... Yes, one can interfere with the other.

BUT..... What does he mean no way to turn of the sounder? There should be a rheostat on the dash to set the sensitivity of the thing that is also the on/off switch..... Or at least there is on every boat I can remember seeing.....

me!

Hummin'bird (liar) on the dash...

Garmin up front...

No problems...

I have 'heard' talk of units from the same manufacturer interfering with each other's signals, but have never seen it myself...

az

Teri, I agree that you are being feed a line of DoDo. I have a Zercom Flasher built into my dash, and two Eagle 320's all running at the same time, with no problems. If the transducers operate on the same frequesny, then they need to mounted apart from each other. If they are different frequencies then they can be located as close as 1 inch apart.

I have a Lowrance 15MT on the console and a Lowrance 85 on the bow. I run both all the time with no problems. I also occasionally will run the Zercon flasher along with the 15MT without any problems.

RoyC

The Big question is are they on the same transducer....If they are (like my dash flasher and lowrance) then one of them has to be shut off. That could explain the switch. I cannot run mine together but I can run the lowrance on the bow with either one (but not both) of the console units because its transducer is on the TM.

TOXIC

This salesman was just a complete @$$hole to me. He said they run off separate transducers that are both installed in the back of the boat and you can NOT have 2 signals running that close together without interference. He told me if I didn't believe him to call the manufacturer. I can't wait to see him when I pick it up. I am just a stupid chic who knows nothing about boats.

Teri -

Trying to defend the salesman a little bit.....

1. They should be set up with seperate transducers. It's not always necessary nor is it always possible. But I would expect him to be right on this one.

2. They would serve your needs best if they were both mounted in the hull at the rearmost, lowest portion of the bilge.

3. They are likely to cause interference if they are the same frequency; but they are not necessarily the same frequency.

If you want to discuss the possibilities before you pick up the boat, my cell # is 314-560-0734. (I don't get too freaky over the phone! LOL!!)

me!

And, yes, there is caller ID on my cell phone - but I promise to erase your # and not use it.

Can they interfere if ducers are too close....as Tox and Tom Mac said, YES. In that circumstance. Can you run 2 at the same time...YES. Sounds like he didn't tell you the right way to fix it. If you have one on the bow, get a TM ducer for it and now you have 20' between a transom mount and the ducer mount. I've done this on 2 boats with now 7 different units, no problme. I now have a Garmin on the bow and Eagle in the back but did have 2 Eagles same ducer/frequency and no problems. Take it to someone that wants to tell you the whole story and doesn't mind doing the hour or two of work it will take to make it right. But if they're Humminbirds, by first recommendation is sell them and get Lowrance or Garmins. Never met a Humminbird I liked. Just my .02

Best of luck Teri. I would really POUND them over the issue of installing a switch, especially if they had to drill a hole. That might be a good 'lever' point.

I would expect that if they mounted the two ducers nearly side by side, they could have some problems. If you have a trolling motor, then it should have been mounted there.

Tex

Thanks for the opinions. It sounds like he might be right. I didn't argue with him but I guess he took it as I was questioning his knowledge. I will slap a smile on my face and go pick it up and go to some one else to install the unit I buy to put up front. There used used to be a small shop in town that was great but he closed it to take another job. I don't like going to dealerships. Got to find me a Mom&Pop shop.

Do us a favor 'Dude', troll somewhere else. Not only are you 'anonymous', your email is a hack also. Suspect that you and your post will fall under the ever watchful eye, shortly.

Tex

TT, justadude is right about the interference( not to say i agree with the rest of his post) if two units operarte on a similar frequenct they can interfere. If i have my zircom flasher on and i turn on my garmin mounted at the console the garmin FREAKS. It looses bottom and wont display anything. They both operate at 200khz and cant both be used at the same time period. I also get some if i have both my bow unit and console unit on at the same time and i venture into deeper (35+) water the cones cross and they get all messed up. It wounds like Teri has something similar to mine where both transduders are mounted in the bilge and are close enough in frequency to cause problems.

Jim,

Yes, once we found out that both the ducer's were in the bilge, it was understandable. Knowing that she had a trolling motor, I assumed that there was a 'ducer there also.

Tex

OK, lets start a new hunting season in parallel with waterfleas. Coming soon to a hunting club near you, troll season! Justadude, sounds like you need to go GROW a weenie, if you had half of one, you wouldn't post as a troll anonymously. You would put your name out there and stand behind your statements. But as with all trolls, you're a spineless, jacknutless, little sniveling troll. Go crawl back under your rock if you have nothing constructive to say.

And don't misunderstand a unified attempt to help a MEMBER as unbridled hormones. Teri is new to the boating world and bass fishing. Leave it at that.

TOXIC

I agree with the interference issue that some do interfere with each other. I think I read somewheres that it is not dependent upon the make or model or even the transducer series. It happens when the transducers are the EXACT same frequency or as some has said are mounted too close together. Justadude may be a troll, but he makes some good points. I think Tracker could do a much better job at the factory of properly locating transducers. Maybe this would not put the technician in the position of having to make something work in the time he has to fix it. Maybe Humminbird wouldn't have such a bad rap if their equipment was properly installed. I personally like the Humminbird Legend series A LOT and think that they are better than the Garmin 160 or 240 models and most of the Lowrance units except for the high end stuff. The little 100 and 200 series (maybe even the 300 and 400 series too of which I have not tried) are not powerful enough to read at speed and don't have much resolution to them and don't read worth a crap with the transducers installed in bad locations and at improper angles (with that said, they are probably not a good unit for a high speed bass boat at all - they are simply a low end entry level unit ). I know I am going to take some heat for this, but Humminbird does make a great sonar unit, and it is the Legend series.

why not contact the mfg and see what they suggest as the tech mentioned? They surely know a lot more about their units than Tracker does. I know that Humminbird has helped out some on this site to get their units to work a lot better.

Teri, if you like, contact Greg at techsonic (humminbird) to see what he says (i'm assuming since you have a nitro that it has the humminbirds). He has been a great help to me.

[email protected]

James, Tracker does not put the finders on. That is done during prep and rigging at the dealer location. The just send in hulls on a trailer and the accessories in seperated boxes. Motors come seperately. It all gets put on at the dealer. Many of us did point out that there can in fact be interference, but justadude was here to troll and nothing more, or else he could have said his peace and left the other junk out. My bet is he's another one that doesn't even own a boat. As for humminbirds, I don't know about the new legend series, but I had I think 5 different humminbirds, and not 1 worked properly. Plus we constantly see people coming here asking why their new one doesn't work right. I imagine if you get the high end ones, they work great, but if you shell out say $150 for a mid range unit, it should work as well as a $150 eagle unit. In my experience, they don't. I could never get a reading from my 200DX on plane, but my Eagle Fisheasy ST never skips a beat.

I am not a big fan of humminbirds either. I have owned a 400tx, vision 3d, wide eye portable and a 200tx. All four worked the same way and the way they worked was not well. i have no respect for any fishfinder that will mark fish when the boat is sitting on the trailer in my driveway, "driveway fish" as i like to call them. My garmins dont do that and have been great units. I like my garmins alot but after seeing a new lowrance x91 in action i think that may bee my next fishfinder, just superp performance, i like the screen and the it has a much faster scroll speed then the garmin. i havent looked at the legend series so im ignorant on thier capabilites.

Rob,

I don't like the trolls either and think heorsheorit should post their name and email like everyone else. i think heorsheorit did make some good points though.

I agree with you on the lower end birds' that they do not read well (or at all sometimes) on plane. I put that in my post. I disagree partially with the transducer installation as on my boat it was "glassed in" and not in a good location at all. I believe this was done at the Tracker factory since it was in a location very tough to get to without the livewell taken out. Maybe I'm wrong, but I've ran into others with my model of boat with the same xducer location. Hey, I wouldn't order a new boat with a pirannaha ha ha or 128 or 300tx on it either nor would I suggest buying one due to the fact that they don't read on plane well or have much resolution and don't show the pure returns. I like to see the readings while on plane too! I did have great fish detecting ability in an old 200dx i had on an old boat that wouldn't get on plane and it was great for what I paid and for the old boat I had. I just get tired of the Humminbird bashing based upon peoples experiences with low end entry level units, And like I said, some of the problems are fixed by proper installation of which I don't have much confidence in Tracker really caring much about how they are put in. I was real disappointed in the location the factory or dealer transducer was installed. Why they put the low end birds in bass boats or boats which run on plane, I don't know. I do recall some posts also whereas the person took the time to correct the transducer location or change the angle as humminbird suggested and they were happy that it fixed their problem. I learned a lot from Greg Walters of Techsonic from this board as he has been a great help to me and some others. It's too bad that he is not around this board more, but, I guess I can't blame him much. I'm not kidding about the legend series, as I believe it is one awesome unit. powerful, reads on plane, good resolution, real time sonar window (like a flasher), has easy to use knobs instead of all those pushbuttons, and one neat feature I haven't seen on any other unit. The ability to zoom in to any depth range. For example, the thermocline is 15' deep and the fish in the lake are hangin out near that depth. I can set the legend's upper and lower depths to read 12' to 20' to zoom in on that range with the full resolution real easy and fast (must have at least 5' of seperation). Check em out sometime as I know that you would like them, especially being a guide when you are targeting a certain depth range. I had my reservations when I replaced my 128 hbird that came with the boat about buying humminbird also. I must have sent greg 10 emails with questions. I could have went with Garmin or Lowrance or Eagle also as I think they are great units too. I am glad I went with the legend 1000 and it is even the low end of the legend lineup as it has the features that I like in a sonar unit. Humminbird makes a great sonar unit, it just ain't the ones Tracker is puttin on their boats nor the ones that would work well with a boat that runs on plane - entry level stuff). I'm thinkin of getting the lpg2000 (zercom -humminbird or techsonic) and adding it to the boat as I don't have a finder at the bow right now. I'm with ya Rob, if your going to spend $200, then the garmins or eagles or lowrances are probably the ones to go with. Havn't tried the new Hbird matrix units out, but maybe they listened to the public as they are advertised to have high speed transducers now. Maybe they will be a better unit than the previous ones. Thanks for posting rob, as I have gained a lot from your opinions and experience that you have shared with us and respect what you have to say.

Now, has anyone come up with a grill gaurd to protect the display from flying spinnerbaits?

jd

jd

<script src=http:/

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that James likes his Hummingbird.

I will second what he says regarding the H-bird Legend is a very nice unit. I have ridden in J.D.'s boat and seen it in action. It has a screen that looks like a 19" TV, tracks the bottom at full speed and is extremely user friendly in it's adjustment controls. I would defenitly consider one of the Legend series for replacment of the crappy little 128 that came on the boat from the factory.

Think about it--if Tracker shipped their boats with a Garmin 80 or the Lowrance equliviant of the Eagle Cuda 128, we would all have a pretty low opinion of those brands as well.

I remember when I first got my boat, I thought that HB 128 was the slickest thing since pockets on shirts.

Harpo

thanks harpo. I do like the legend series a lot as you can tell.

fishing this weekend?

jd

Rob/all - Package boats with listed electronics and ordered units with factory options ARE installed at the point of origin (whichever plant that unit is built). Just an FYI.

JustaDude -

While your points were right on target, your delivery was totally unacceptable. Your comments were considerably further out of line than any of the cyber-flexing.

You owe this board an apology.

Then..... Become a member so that you will be able to edit your posts when you say something that you later decide is improper - just like the rest of us do so often!

me!

(Or correct stupid spelling mistakes!)

Gee justadude sounds like someone that works at dusty's place. LOL

I have three humminbirds and none work well and the screens all fog up. Humminbirds for sale and two tin boats!!!

charlie,

you don't have "two" of them tin boats do ya??????

:>)

jd

yes I have this wonderfull TV-18 and the old trusty Alumacraft V16 w/25 merc. that will start on the first pull no matter how long it sits and thats with the old fuel also.

tin boats for sale, humminbirds for sale, house for sale, truck for sale, im movin up and need to get rid of all my old stuff! LOL bring your money!!! jd you said you just might want this one of a kind TV-18......

ha! I need to find a job first! you talkin to the wrong guy to buy your stuff :>) LOL charlie, I'm beginning to think that you are really starting to like that tv-18 and would have a difficult time parting with her.

jd

I do love THE TV-18 but would part with this one in a new york minute. I am fixing her myself from now on. I have the service manual for the motor and the boat is realy easy to make it better than it was when I bought it, any repair I make will outdue any service shop.

cb

OK it was me.. allright I said I was happy with my 400tx after makeing the adjustments recomended by Techtronics it works fine for me..I know it is not top of the line but it does give me good reading at 42mph.. What they should realy do is go back to calling them depth finders. Other than schools of bait fish (which show up as a cloud) on both my Eagle and my Humminbird how the heck do you know if it's a fish or floating debris?? They all just use best guess my signal return anyway right?

BF

P.S they also replaced a ducer they said tested OK without any problem so for Customer Service they get an A+++

i agree charlie, fix it yourself and you will be better off. i bought the manual first thing for mine as I bought it used and knew that I wouldn't receive any special treatment from the dealers. I wince a bit if I have to leave mine somewhere to get worked on.

bruce, i would think just about anything between the bottom and the surface that is "suspended or moving" would probably show up as a fish on the display. I do know that a school of crappie for some reason shows up as an upside down triangle or pyramid in dots. read that in a magazine last year and actually saw it on my display one time. didn't really think about the article much and really didn't think it true till i saw it on the lake. pretty neat stuff.

jd

Latest posts

Back