Deer hunting

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gene B

Reaction score
With the trouble of finding and keeping a place to deer hunt I sat out last year and was content to sit out this one as well. A friend of mine killed an 8 point opening day and was done hunting as he only needed one deer. He told me I should go out where he hunted because he had already asked the owner if it was ok. After a couple days of deliberation I decided Friday that I'd go. I met him Friday after noon and we drove around the property quick to give me property lines and the lay of the land. I set up early Sat. Morning where he suggested and saw nothing. Aroun 11 I got up and did some stalking/scouting and found a nice spot that I was sure I'd see something. Just before dark a big doe and and a couple smaller deer came out and walked right down to me. One shot from the S&W 44Mag and it was over! 9 of my last 10 deer have been taken with my hand gun. She went about a foot and a half....STRAIGHT DOWN!! :) There will be meat in the house this winter!! Good luck to all the other hunters out there. With that done, I can go fishing tomorrow. :wub:

Gene

Good Job Gene!

Jake is home on leave and dying to bag a buck...

Been going to a farm I have permission on....

I had 8 (EIGHT) does walk within 5 yards of me Saturday morning...

Kept hoping there would be some horns following, but no dice...Seeing deer there...hoping a big guy will walk past Jake...went tonight...kicked up something leaving the woods at dark, but couldn't make it out...we'll be out there again tomorrow...

az

Congrats Gene B!

I had mixed feelings about replying... :p ... but you deserve it.

I've had a frustrating deer season. Tons of scouting, set up a tripod and ground blind, filled my feeder quite a few times, hauled in a home-built watering system for the deer during the hotter/drier months before the season started, etc... And I have seen exactly "0" deer during the daytime at my lease. My game camera shows a bunch of deer coming around, including an absolutely beautiful 10 pointer. Problem is... they only like to visit at about 2 - 3 AM. :rolleyes: I've been hunting dozens of times, and come up empty handed every time. Scent free soap and clothing, sneaking in silently, watching the wind, etc...

.... and then you hunt one day on your friends property and kill one with a handgun. Great. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Seriously - Congrats! I'm just envious. It's killing me that my freezer is still empty.

All the best,

Glenn

I'm not giving up hope yet,........got invited to hunt 80+ acres of PRIMO land the day after Thnxgvg. The owner told me a week ago that he has seen 2 diff. 10pt's and a HUGE 6pt.......hopefully I can connect on one of those 10's!!:eek::rolleyes:

Hopefully the weather will cooperate a little more....been too WARM up here!! Yeah, Carlos you read that right,...to WARM!!! Mini and I went fishing y'day in sweatshirts!!

55deg y'day and it hit 60 last week on Opening Day! I like FROSTY COLD mornings to hunt,...the deer move more!!;)

Anyway,..good luck to those that are still in pursuit,....you're NOT alone!!

WTG Gene!! Gotta love those back straps!!:p:rolleyes::rolleyes:

You guys are making me jealous. Doc says I can "chase deers" (his words) in a month. Trouble is WV season started today and MD starts this Saturday. There is always muzzleloader and bow. I bought a crossbow and a cranking type cocking aid so should be able to get some archery hunts in. I may start in 2 weeks instead of a month. I can shoot little ones and drag one handed.....:) Way to go Gene

I don't hunt myself(no problem with it just don'thave the taste for venison) but I am surrounded with 100's acres of army corp ground that can be hunted as public land. I have a monster buck that I saw from about 50-75 yds earlier this fall that has a deer trail that comes up from the lake behind my house and angles off just past the back corner of my property and moves across the road and back down to another part of the lake. Talking to both of my neighbors independently they say they each have scout photos showing it to be a massive 14 point buck. Each of them have staked out opposite ends of the trail hoping to get a bow shot this fall. It will be fun to see if one gets the shot or does he survive for another year. I have thought about putting up a stand behind my house to shoot photos from, but never get around to it. If they are successful I will try and get photos and post them. Actually it just occurred to me that I did get a nice 12 pointer a few years ago... with my wife's suburban!! I gave the rack to the guy that gave me and the family a ride home that night.

My wife hit a doe with my Ranger last night and gave it to the guy who stopped to help drag it out of the road. Didn't hurt my truck, but I didn't get any venison either!:(

Good luck everyone. Post your results, I like hearing hunting stories as much as fishing stories.

BTW I caught a nice limit of 25 bluegills on Monday. :wub: The panfish are biting well and I'm going out again in the morning. :D

Gene

Latest posts

Back