Deep Cycle Battery Recommendations?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandon Baker

Reaction score
It's time to replace my trolling motor batteries. I have a Minn Kota Auto Pilot 62lbs, 24v system on my 185SF. Any recommendations on a set of REASONABLY priced deep cycle batteries. I prefer Maint. Free, but the longer the charge the better.

Thanks in advance,

Brandon

My recommendation is the exide orbital deep cycle marine. You don't want to skimp on the batteries.

Thinking about it now that they cut the price in half. Still, $300 is really high for a battery when I can get a good one at Wally world that charges and lasts fine for $65

Your best capacity will still come from old-fashioned, flooded batteries. The Orbital and other brands of AGM batteries are very nice for convenience, but they don't have the capacity as a flooded battery of the same size.

Do a search on the topic batteries, you will get more info than you can read....

Mini

I too have been running interstate and haven't had any problems.

Rob, I believe GNB (owned by Exide) makes Everstarts. At least they did when I bought one last year.

Just a note on Interstate batteries. They are manufactured by Johnson Controls. Not sure if Johnson makes any other brands or not. Interstate is actually just a marketing/distribution company.

I must disagree with Rick...There are really three types of batteries wet cells/gel cells and sealed lead-acid for the application of a trolling motor you want a sealed lead-acid type. The shelf life of the battery is greater the amount of cycles the amount it can be discharged and re charged is much greater and the amount of time it can run when fully charged is greater. Wet cells can leak and put off potentially explosive vapours, wet cells need to be topped up. the gel cell is a wet cell in disguise it is just a sealed wet cell that if damaged gel oozs out. The gel cell will last longer and diliver more power than the wet cell. The sealed lead-acid can be damaged and it won't leak will still work and out performs the other two more than two to one in all catagories, A wet cell fully discarged will last about 100 cycles a gel and lead-acid about 200cycles.

Need any more battery info...call me.

Fred, I'm not saying they aren't disadvantages to wet cells. Some of the issues you bring up (acid leaks, vapors) etc, are certainly real issues, but mishaps are very rare in a proper installation with the correct charger.

As far as sealed AGM outperforming flooded cells...nope. Pound for pound, good quality wet cells have more capacity. That's why big boats like yachts and pleasure cruisers still use banks of the old fashioned, very heavy duty flooded batteries from companies like Rolls, Trojan, East Penn and Surrette. Most will last a minimum of 300 cycles, and some can last thousands of cycles.

Here's some capacity comparisons by weight (all amp hours at the C/20 rate):

Optima Yellow Top (AGM/sealed deep cycle)

65 amp hours/44 pounds = 1.48 amp hours per pound

PowerTroll Group 8A27 (AGM/sealed deep cycle)

95 amp hours/63 pounds = 1.50 amp hours/pound

Rolls 27-112-XJ (flooded deep cycle)

112 amp hours/57 pounds = 1.96 amp hours/pound

Trojan 27TMX (flooded deep cycle)

115 amp hours/59 pounds = 1.94 amp hours/pound

AGMs have their place. If you put a premium on no-maintenance, maximum stored charge life, or need to use them at a funny install angle, they are top notch. If you want maximum amp hours in a typical bass boat-with-an-onboard-charger, quality flooded cells win.

Brandon,

I looked long and hard for the best batteries to buy and settled for ACDelco Voyager Group 31's. I paid $91 after taxes for each. They are sealed no maint batteries and have a 18 month free replacement with a 36 month prorated warrenty.

Hope this helps.

Eric H.

Latest posts

Back