Decisions, decisions....

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TritonGlenn

Reaction score
Decision time is coming. Looks like the rut will be in full swing in about a week or so, and I have my first two ABA tournaments of this season two weekends from now.

I haven't even fished lately, and hunting has been slow... But picking up with the rut just around the corner.

Hunt or fish.... Gonna be a tough decision to make.

All the best,

Glenn

Fun or food on the table. Championship or not? I don't hunt anymore so it would not be a big choice for me.

BF

Depends on what you are hungry for...Surf or Turf!!:lol::lol:

Remember, you have a chance to make $$$ off your tournament.

TOXIC

Glenn, which one you enjoy most? When I have those decesions to make, I am always thinking I should have done the other. Hope you choose the right one, I am sure you will.

Bubby:)

What lakes are your tournaments on, if it's one of our slow lakes I'd take the rut. it it's one of our hot lakes I'd go with the tournament. Either way you can not make a bad decision.

PS I'd still like to see your man cave.

Jim

Man, tough decision! I decided to do both this past weekend. Ended killing a nice deer with my flintlock on Saturday. A 50 cal. roundball to the neck makes for a very short tracking job! Was going to chase smallmouth on Sunday, but I woke up to high winds and cold temps. Went back to bed and took it easy for the day. Good luck whichever you choose.

Scott

Well, I didn't kill a deer at all last year, and I got to hear about it for the months immediately after the season from my loving wife, who taunted me relentlessly about it. She had accidentally hit one with her Jeep at the beginning of the season and killed it, so I got to hear that I was "playing catch up" to her all season, and then at the end of the season it was "Kathy 1, Glenn 0" according to her "deer count". :rolleyes:

This year, I have a beautiful 11 pointer that was coming around at night, but recently has been showing up at 5am, 10am, 2pm, 4pm, etc... on my camera. I walked in on it on Saturday. I got a late start and walked up to my feeder slowly, only to round the bend immediately before it and come face to face with the buck at the feeder. He snorted and took about 3 bounds to clear an area almost 20 yards wide, and then he was gone. He's not feeding - he's sniffing around. My camera only catches him feeding at night. During the day, its head up, nose going. He's looking for does, I'm pretty sure of it.

Fishing... The ABA's are just ABA's. Nothing fancy, nothing special, and probably won't have a ton of boats in the tournament anyway, so it may not even be considered a full field. That equals reduced payouts. At $70 each to fish, even if I win one of the two (one Saturday, one Sunday), after factoring in gas, lodging, etc... I might only be breaking even for the weekend. Win both, and I'd be ahead. Lately, the winner of Saturday ends up about 3rd or 4th on Sunday. Not many take both days. The tournament is on Choke Canyon, and although it's my favorite spot to fish, I haven't really slayed them this year either.

If I can catch at least one keeper, then I'm all about fishing. If I can at least see a deer, hog, etc... while hunting, I'm all about hunting too - even if I don't take a shot. Lately, I haven't caught fish, and I'm not seeing animals while I'm in my ground blind, so now... I'm not really about either in a big way. :lol:

Wife came up with a good plan. I'm going to take a vacation day on Friday of this week, and hunt all day long - predawn to dusk. Taking a lunch and drinks with me and I'm just going to stay in the blind all day. Saturday, I'll fill up my feeder and do some maintenance around my stands and come home to spend time with my family. The following weekend - fish the Saturday tournament and see how I feel about Sunday. If it's not looking good, come back and hunt next Sunday. If it looks good, then I'll fish both tournaments.

All the best,

Glenn

The good saugeye fishing has just started around here and will be that way until ice-up which usually doesn't happen to Dec/Jan timeframe.

Stay with that buck Glenn...you'll have another meeting if determined;)

Latest posts

Back