Dam 4 on the Potomac

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VA Chris

Reaction score
I've heard tell about catching good size Walleye below dam 4 on the Potomac (below Williamsport,Md and above Shepherdstown,WV). Anybody familiar with that area (Scott Allen, you're close arent you?)Can you fish from shore, get a glass boat in there without scaring myself silly about rocks,etc.

Hey Chris,

I live just a few miles from there. The walleye fishing is outstanding there. I WOULD NOT recommend a glass boat anywhere near the lower side of the dam. It is rocky and swift from the put-in ramp at Taylor's Landing and all the way up to the dam. An aluminum with a jet is doable in the right conditions. Lots of folks wear waders and wade/bank fish. I hear tell the lower side of dam #5 at Clear Spring is good too. Same conditions. Eltwon might be able to comment on that one. Let me know if you are coming up and I can give you a tour and maybe wet a line with ya.

Scott

Good deal, thanks Scott. I was thinking about going over to the WV side of Dam 4 Saturday just to check it out. Maybe pull on the chest waders, but with all the snow melt I imagine the water will be a mess. I definitely would not mind wetting a line together sometime.

I have caught a couple of nice ones on the Md side.There is a parking lot right there at the towpath Just walk over the foot bridge and take the trail to your left.go down about a hundred yards and thats where every body fishes off the bank or rocks is a better word.I have seen some big ones come out of there.Like scott said not good for a glass boat I guess on the Md side Taylors landing is the closest place to put in.Hey Scott how ya doing

If you do the waders be careful I think on the West Va side there was a drowning there last year.A lot of holes

I noticed that Keith Kavajecz and Gary Parsons are going to be at the BPS Cinci Feb 28th!

Those two are the KVD's of walleye fishing so it looks like a trip is in order. Don't get me wrong...Bass is my number 0ne love but, I love me some walleye and saugeye and there are a ton around here in Ohio;)

Slam a few Chris!

Hey Paul,

Doin' well. We need to get out soon. Chris, like elteewon says, there are some big holes and fast water there. Be very careful however you fish it. Bank is safest. Tee, I grew up on the Ohio River and we would start catching walleye and sauger about this time of the year below the Hannibal Dam at New Martinsville, WV. It would be so damned cold sometimes that you had to knock the ice out of your guides every cast, but we always caught a bunch on yellow or chartreuse <sp?> twister tails on a jig head.

Scott

Like I said, I may go down Saturday. I have actually been down there (both banks) but it has been a few years. Right now I am trying to get clarification from WV and MD DNR regarding the reciprocal use of fishing licenses. PER WV DNR: A WV resident license holder (I am not) may fish from the MD bank of the Potomac, a WV non-resident license holder may not. That sounds screwy to me. I have emailed MD about it since they are the ones who would be issuing a citation if I, a non-resident WV license holder, is found fishing from the MD bank. If I have to, I will purchase a MD license too,but I would rather not.

Chris,

That one does look a little shy on info in the MD regulations. It's only $5 for a 3-day nonresident in any case. Cheap for 3 days of fun, I say or you could just stand in the middle of the river. :lol:

Scott

Yeah Scott, it is a little vague. I will probably try to get a hold of the game warden for that area by phone to get a "Horses Mouth" answer.

Have you seen the river lately? Is it high and muddy or has the snow melted off slowly enough to keep it reasonably clear?

Haven't been to the river, but the feeder creeks look good.I just asked a co-worker who comes up from Leesburg to work and he said he didn't study the river when he crossed, but that he didn't notice it being high and muddy. Here's current conditions at Williamsport.

Scott

at Williamsport

Flood Stage: 23Feet

Latest Stage: 4.7 ft at 13:18 UTC 02/25 Complete information about

the Potomac River at Williamsport

available from

NWS (Baltimore/Washington) Sterling, VA.

NOTE: Forecasts are not available for the Potomac River at Williamsport. Only observed stages are available for this point.

Flood Categories (in feet)

Major Flood Stage: 28

Moderate Flood Stage: 25

Flood Stage: 23

Action Stage: 15

Thanks, the river stage leads me to believe it is not too high and should be worth the trip. I might take my kids ice skating in Hagerstown Saturday and slip down there before hand.

I went down there with the kids for about an hour and a half. The river was a little high but not overly stained. No luck. I talked to a guy who said he fishes down there a lot and he said he thought it was a little early and wished the water was a bit lower (he had no luck either). I will definitely go back, maybe even this weekend. The kids had a great time collecting river treasure in a bucket they found(legs to a camp chair,5ft of rope,rusty lighter,74 Pinto, etc,).

I think they'll start moving up when the water temp approached 42 or so. I expect the water to be a little high until all this snow leaves, but with a heavy jighead should be able to catch them once they start. I have a class on Saturday, but may try my luck Sunday. Maybe I'll see you there (MD side). I'll be the guy with the fishing pole! :lol:

Scott

Scott, I may go back, but it would be on Saturday.I have hockey practice Sunday. I really want to find those walleye down there so I will let you know whenever I had over that way. I am sure we can meet up eventually. Let me know how you do if you go on Sunday.

Latest posts

Back