Cleaning glass??

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
Ok, took out the Banana Boat and now she needs cleaned. Dealer said not to use Amorall (sp?). I need some advice.

1) What can you clean fiberglass with when you just want to remove the daily dirt (quick spot cleaning)?

2) What kind of soap do you use for a full hose wash?

3) What kind of wax and how often?

4) What do you clean the seats with?

Another site says use ProTec but can you use anything that you don't have to go to a marine store for?

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Hi Teri,

I use 303 Aerospace Protectant on everything except the carpet.

I was just looking at their web site and see they also make a fabric guard so I might be using it on the carpet pretty soon.

It is a little pricey, but I feel it is worth the money.

John
http://www.303products.com/main.php?infopage=home
protectant_group_white.gif

Teri, do a search for a posting called "Cleaning up your act" by Mac dated 12/18/2002 I think. Mac posted a article about different household products that can be used to clean your boat. Thanks..

Teri

for daily cleaning like cleaning off the scumline and such i use a product called slick stuff its made by a company called the wax shop. I get it at a local car accessory shop. The stuff is great it softens up the scumline and it comes right off, it works better then anything else i have tried. i great for the truck too, as it is a car detailer spray. For wax i use some pennzoil quick wax that i got at walmart. it comes in a yellow spary bottle, they have it with all the marine stuff. i do mine about once a month. i just use regular car wash soap when i wash it, one thing i never do is leave a scumline on the boat i wipe it at the ramp before it dries, so i dont need to use anything spacial. on the seats i clean any dirt off them with some simple green and a rag then protect them with an armorall type product made by mothers called preserves protectant, i also use this on all the black plastic trim. One thing i hear alot about it polishing the boat with pledge, dont do it. a guy in my club was doing that for a while and it yellowed and hazed his gellcoat.

i forgot to ask hows the new boat?

I hardly have time to fish, How do ya'll find time to clean your boat when it is just going to get dirty Tomorrow anyway. clean and wax once or twice a year, that should be good enough for a Nitro, if it were Tin I would say make time to keep her beautiful. LOL

Charlie

I wipe mine down every time she comes out of the water. I do not tow with a scumline, it just sets it. I use a 4 to 1 mixture of vinegar and water in a spray bottle (will not take the wax off). I use auto wax, either Meguires or Mothers (every 3 weeks or when it needs it). I know auto wears off quicker but I like it better. Mothers Back-To-Black on console and seats. You won't slide off and it works on all colors. I have used 303 and it is ok but do not put it on the glass. And remember, do not wax the part of the hull that is in the water.

TOXIC

Toxic why do you not wax below the water line? is that for tin also?

I wash my boat at the car wash and the foam brush takes all the scum line off even if it is from last week or month.

but we here in Texas fish every day so when do I clean it?

LOL LOL ROFLMAO

TEXAS year round catchin !!!

There are a lot of good products out there. This is what I do since my boat is always garaged. If my boat was not garaged, I would probably do a regular wax job and use a protectant for the seats/dash/trim.

1. Wash boat with automotive type car once every week or two, depending on the scum line. It's not usually too bad on choppy days. I don't clean mine at the ramp cause I only live 15 - 30 minutes away.

2. I never do a full wax. I use 3M Marine Clean and Shine Wax. It is in a spray bottle. Wipe on/wipe off. I do this at beginning/end of season and a couple of times during our short season. I do the top cap and side of the hull, never the bottom. Also clean/shine the Merc with it. Having some kind of wax on the transom makes it easier to wash the scum off.

3. I clean the seats/dash with a little detergent in a bucket of water and a fake chamois (sp?).

Bob G.

Why not the bottom of the hull? I have never done mine, but I'm curious as to why not.

Ok, I purchased the following today:

1) Megires Cleaner Liquid Wax (To wax on the top and sides on occasion. Never the hull, don't know why but I'll take your word for it.)

2) Simple Green Automotive (To clean the seats and not the fiberglass.)

3) Mothers Car Wash Soap (To wash the boat when using the hose.)

4) Mothers Back to back (To shine the seats and dash)

5) Star Brite Boat Cleaner (To try)

They had a spray Star Brite fiberglass cleaner but there was a warning on it about possible color fade on decals so I didn't buy it. I couldn't find the other stuff you guys recommended. Hopefully this will do.

Waxing on the pad or the part of the hull that is in the water actually adds adhesion to the water. So I've been told.....

TOXIC

Its true Tox....

Try doing the spoon test in a glass of water....an un waxed spoon will pull easily oout of the water and a waxed spoon will "grip" the water (use the spoon like the hull of a boat). Never wax the bottom of a fiberglass hull especially in the pad area.

Mini

Oh no, we aren't going there, are we? LOL

Rich D

Latest posts

Back