Disgusting Looking Console

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt. Scully

Reaction score
I need some help. What can I do to clean up the mess from a previous owner ? I really like it that this console has a covered cubby for the Radio AM/FM/CD, and planning on installing a small 2 way radio with a hook up to my existing stereo speakers, need some kind of a filter to cut out stereo when receiving 2-way. And a very large glove box for other "junk", that I need or don't need to have on board.
Now, back to my original question, can this be lightly sanded down and re-coated with a good grade of plastic Paint ? , Has anyone attempted this and what would you recommend ?

Attachments

• DSCN0738.JPG
    DSCN0738.JPG
    191.3 KB · Views: 72
I have not done this. However lightly sanding it and painting it with a plastic paint should be okay. Can you try it in an unseen place to test it? I am sure it would be a noticeable improvement. I would also clear coat it after the color. This gives some wear resistance.
Worth a shot!

I need some help. What can I do to clean up the mess from a previous owner ? I really like it that this console has a covered cubby for the Radio AM/FM/CD, and planning on installing a small 2 way radio with a hook up to my existing stereo speakers, need some kind of a filter to cut out stereo when receiving 2-way. And a very large glove box for other "junk", that I need or don't need to have on board.
Now, back to my original question, can this be lightly sanded down and re-coated with a good grade of plastic Paint ? , Has anyone attempted this and what would you recommend ?

I refinished all my consoles and trim panels on my 2004 882 dual console a couple of years ago, and they still look brand new. I don't remember all the details, but it was not difficult. I used stock products from my local NAPA auto store. My trim was all black and I tried both matte and gloss finishes. The gloss worked best for me. Also, I believe their dashboard refinishing products had a slight texture to them so minor imperfections were not a problem. Also, they have UV inhibitors so an additional sealer coat was not required. I used their liquid prep cleaner and conditioner (whatever they recommended), let dry 10/15 minutes, and then sprayed on new finish. Some panels required 2 coats, some did not. If I remember correctly, dry time was approx 30 minutes at summertime room temperature. I think the cleaner/conditioner was QT can liquid, and the paint was 16 oz spray cans. I recommend looking up auto dashboard refinished on Ytube. That's where I started. Good luck.

I refinished all my consoles and trim panels on my 2004 882 dual console a couple of years ago, and they still look brand new. I don't remember all the details, but it was not difficult. I used stock products from my local NAPA auto store. My trim was all black and I tried both matte and gloss finishes. The gloss worked best for me. Also, I believe their dashboard refinishing products had a slight texture to them so minor imperfections were not a problem. Also, they have UV inhibitors so an additional sealer coat was not required. I used their liquid prep cleaner and conditioner (whatever they recommended), let dry 10/15 minutes, and then sprayed on new finish. Some panels required 2 coats, some did not. If I remember correctly, dry time was approx 30 minutes at summertime room temperature. I think the cleaner/conditioner was QT can liquid, and the paint was 16 oz spray cans. I recommend looking up auto dashboard refinished on Ytube. That's where I started. Good luck.
Did you remove the console, or do it where it is fastened to the boat.?

Latest posts

Back