Chin walking

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travis Blankenship

Reaction score
Took boat out yesterday. Only second time I have had it out since installing keelshield. Noticed at about 58 mph the boat starts chin walking. It has never done it before. Was wondering if the keelshield could be causing that or if there is something else. I have a 05 nitro nx882 with a mercury 150. I installed a 7' keelshield on it. I started about 6" from the eye on the front of the boat. The keelshield stops about right where the console starts. On plane I wouldn't think that part of the boat would be in the water. Any help would be appreciated.

Like I said before I use to be able to go 61 mph and it would never chin walk. Don't know what else to do. I can keep it at about 55 mph and is smooth but I shouldn't have to do that. It does not chin walk real bad jut enough to make the boat sway a little and annoy you.

Thanks for all the info.

Have you add any extra weight to one side or the other since the last time you had it out? this would make it fall off pad, I don't think the keelshield would have anything to do with it, at least it didn't mine.

I guarantee you the KeelShield has nothing to do with your boat when it is on pad. You boat is chine walking for another reason. Weight distribution, motor height, trim setting, etc.

TOXIC

I dont think it would be the KS. Usaully means a little more trim then usual (doesnt take much) on top of a little less weight in the boat i.e less gas in the tank?

Max

You KS won't even be in the water when you are going fast enough to be chine walking.

Back