Can You Recommend Trailer Tires

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Whritenour

Reaction score
I am going to replace tires on my trailer pretty soon due to some wear issues - I am looking for tires with raised white letters. Can anyone recommend some good radials? I know a lot of folks like the GY Marathons...but my internet search finds very few folks saying anything good about them. Thanks!

GoodYear Marathons for me after my original trackers finally wore out. 2 years without a problem and they still look new.

I will also suggest good years. My last two trailers i towed for years with marathons with zero problems. My 882 trailer was 8 years old and had well over 50k miles on it when i traded it in and the tires were still the originals. The guys on the bash fishing homepage that have had problems with marathons are the same guys that cmail they dont have time to do things like check tire pressure. If you keep them properly inflated they seem to last a long time. Get them balanced too and your trailer will run really nice.

There are two tires i will suggest you steer clear of. The first is "trail america", these came OEM on my Z7 trailer and they are total 100% crap. They didnt even make it two years before they were all cracked on the sidewalls down to the cords and they wore really strange. The other is Carlisle, some guys swear by them but what i saw of them whem my father had him on his trailer i would never in a million years put them on my trailer. He had 4 complete tread seperations about 1000 miles of towing spanned across three years. His boat hardly ever moved but it sems any time it did he blew a tire. His total boat load was way less then the weight rating on the tires too, there is no reason they should have failed in the manner they did. He replaced with with marathons and has not had an issue since. His dog club also had Carlisle's come on thier box trailer and those failed too in a similar manner in the first year they had it.

I too would reccommend the Marathons. I hit a large piece of metal last month while trailering and it knocked a hole in the tire, but the tire did what it was supposed to do. It stayed together. I had a similar situation a couple of years ago with a Trail America tire and the tire blew apart, only saving grace was I have a tandum axle trailer.

HP

Thanks for the replies thus far! Jim B., you hit home with the Trail America comment - that's what's on there now (came with trailer) and they are wearing strange like you said. Uneasy feeling pulling it down the road. I went to local tire shop today - GY Marathons were $104 but they no longer make with RWL's...(wanted RWL as I can't get the redneck out of me). Tire shop recommended Maxxus (which do make a RWL). Still contemplating....

I didnt realise they stopped making them with RWL. When i got mine this winter i had no problem getting the 215/75r14 in a RWL.

814948553_2npQ3-M.jpg

Here is why i will never put carlisles on my trailer. Seen this happen too many times.

927561291_Rg8ND-L.jpg

I have a quick question, so my tires say F78-14ST. What size tire would I buy? Is it a 205/14ST?

Thanks!

Jay,

The F78-14 you have is a 26.5" tire. A 215/75R14 is 26.6 or so. A 205/75R14 is 26.1 so its smaller. There is also a difference in wight ratings too. The 205 good year is rated 1760# and the 215 is 1870#. Check the tires you have now and see what they are rated for and work from there. It appears at a glance tho that the 215 would be a better fit since its only a tenth of an inch bigger.

Just to help with the confusion, a taller tire also means less revolutions per mile. Less wear on the bearings. Radials over bias any day and have them balanced.

BF

Latest posts

Back