Bunk Slicks? any concerns?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric Thurman

Reaction score
I need to re cover my bunks on my 2006 Nitro 929. I was thinking of recarpeting them but then came across these plastic or teflon type flat sticks that are simply screwed on top of your existing bunk carpet. From the the comments that I have read these slicks basically remove almost all of the friction between the hull and the bunk surface.

I am considering buying these slicks as one long continous piece (custom cut) that spans the entire length of each bunk from a company called Surfix...they only come in white but my trailer and boat hull are black

My question:

I have a black fiberglass hull. Has anyone experienced damage when using these slicks? Yes I understand the boat could prematurally unload itself before being in the water, but I am referring to actual damage by the slick..i.e. Hull gouging or marring (slicks are white and my hull is black...any white marring marks?)...what about the weight of the boat sitting on these slicks over time? They are harder than wood bunks and wonder if they would causes the fiberglass to reshape over time. Also will/could water get trapped and pressed between the slick and hull and if sat for a period of time cause the hull to fade or discolor in that area? Does anyone know where I can find LONG (8+ feet) slicks in a black color?

I would like to fix my bunks without causing 14 more problems in the process and appreciate any feedback from experienced users.

thanks to everyone on the site.

Eric

I had a similar thought but have an aluminum PT185. I was concerned the edges of the slicks would crease the hull or indent it over time.

The first thing you will need to do is see if the bunks need to be replaced not just recovered?

BF

If you are really serious and don't mind spending a few more dollars you might want to try the "Ultimate Bunk Boards". Super slippery just like the other slicks but these actually replace the bunk boards, not just cover them up. They come in colors and are perfect for glass or tin boats and don't need replacement like regular bunk boards. Check them out!

http://www.ultimatebunkboards.com/index.html

Dave

Just don't unhook the bow strap until you're pretty much backed down in to the water. Speaking from experience, the boat will come off the trailer before you want it to with the slicks.:eek:

Thanks guys for the feedback. Does anyone have any experience with these slick sticks and can comment on my conerns.

E

the bunk slicks are good. i use them with my pro 17 aluminum. works great for low water. also like someone else said keep the bow strap attached till get in water. i also have seen some boats come off the trailer

I like mine sticking to the trailer. Alot of low ramps around here and most of the time I can bump it up to the roller, raise the motor and out.

Thanks guys. I like the comment about "ultimate bunk boards". Even though the cost is a little more, by the time you replace your bunks and bunk carpet twice it pretty much pays for itself.

I am still looking to hear if anyone has received or witnessed any damage from these bunk glides on a fiberglass hull? wearing, carving, denting etc ( other than accidentally dumping the boat to early on a ramp.

E

Check the screws that hold the glides down frequently. I've heard bad stories of the screws backing out slightly and scratching the heck out of your hull.

thanks. yeah i had wondered about that too. I decided against the glide sticks and went with the traditional marine grade carpet.

too many unknowns about the sticks for me.

thanks for everyones feedback

E

Latest posts

Back