Breaking in 150 Optimax Pro XS on 2011 Nitro Z 7

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Dumser

Reaction score
I read the operating guide from Mercury, but I'm hoping some of you have experience breaking in the Mercury 150 Optimax Pro XS. I currently have 1 hour on it averaging between 2500 and 4200 rpms. Any advice you can offer is greatly appreciated.

General consensus is to do it by the book and to the letter. There are no shortcuts when breaking in a motor and you set the stage for how it will perform for the rest of its functional life.

Manufacturer break in procedures are given for a reason. As Tox said, follow them to the letter. It is too much money to risk by not following them for a short time.

From Merc Site:

What is the proper break-in procedure for an OptiMax outboard?

Break-in is important to insure correct engine performance and life. Follow the procedure listed in the Operation, Maintenance & Warranty manual. Generally, for the first two hours we recommend avoiding extended periods of idle or wide-open throttle, or holding the engine at one speed for extended periods of time. New two-stroke engines require additional oil during break-in; OptiMax engines use programming inside the computer to increase the oil mixture during the specified break-in period.

Break-in procedures are described in the Operation, Maintenance & Warranty manual supplied with each new engine.

Its a pain,and it seems like forever,but they have a reason for this procedure,you would be well advised to follow it to the letter.

I won't tell you not to follow the Merc guide, everyone is right, it's there for a reason but having said that, Mercury also need to account for the dicks out there who simply have no idea and just flog it to death, or do the opposite, idle for hours.

The reality is, it needs to be varied in load, revs and speed without immediately hammering it to death. Every hour on the motor the rings bed in that little bit more, the bearings and journals mate a little better and overall package "loosens up".

The days have gone of production made engines being hand bored and honed with super tight tolerances and low quality pistons the grow like a kids face with mumps. They are really designed for todays consumers and spend megabucks on manufacturing to ensure they don't see premature failures.

Go with the book, don't panic if it slip outside the guide as long as your not going crazy you'll have a bloody good strong motor that will give you years of trouble free boating.

Latest posts

Back