Best Oil To Use in 2002 Mercury 200hp EFI

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Greifer

Reaction score
All, I dont mean to open a can of worms here, as I know everyone has their opinions on what to run in their engines, but what is the thoughts on what to run on this engine?

2002 Mercury 200hp EFI, less than 10 hours on motor.

Will be run in cold weather in late winter and late fall as well

Previous owner ran Merc/Quicksilver Premium Plus in it

I do not care about cost of the oil, I just want the BEST to run in it.

Thought? Opinions?

You guys/girls are awesome and thanks for the help.

I used to run just quicksilver in my efi but have found those engines to be built like tanks. They are just about indestructible.

I have been running the Wal-Mart stuff that is only $12 a gallon for some time now and my engine still runs fine with no extra fouling and my efi has over 1,000 hrs on it.

Stick with the Merc branded stuff. If you want a second choice, Amsoil is my personal favorite.;)

Like Bob said. To my knowledge, the Merc/Quicksilver premium plus is a synthetic blend. What % of it is actually synthetic, I have no idea. I am a true beliver in synthetic oil, so I have used only two full synthetics in my 200 EFI; Amsoil like Bob said and Pennzoil full synthetic. I am not sure what's Bob's take is on the Pennzoil full synthetic, but I have had no issues with it.

Rusty is right as well as Bob (per usual:p ) All I can say is my 2000, 225 efi had a bazillion hours on it when I sold it and it was always filled with Merc Premium Plus. Nothing else. To get a price break (besides being sponsored by a marina) you can save your jugs and buy from a dealers bulk drum. I am not knowledgeable enough on the private brands to know which ones are truly better and which ones are snake oil. I've seen a lot of graphs and information on Amsoil, Blue somethingoranother...and others. Bottom line, the "best" to me was what my motor maker branded as their own.

TOXIC

I have run Merc/Quicksilver Premium Plus since day one in my 2000 XR6. Until last year I had been getting my jugs filled at a local dealer and they discontinued their bulk deliveries. :(

"If" I had a motor and I planned on keeping it for a long while, I would look into a 55 gal drum. As I understand it, you just have to make sure it doesn't get condensation in it. Bob B can probably expound more!! Shelf life?

TOXIC

Well, I appreciate all of the feedback and I think im going to listen to the Merc Gods (BOB) and stick with the Merc/QS Premium Plus. I appreciate it!

My mechanic clearly states that Merc Prem Plus is the ONLY oil to be put in my boat (225EFI)....unless of course it is an emergency :)

Bottom line is that ANY oil will suffice as long as it meets the makers specs. AND...I've beat this into the ground over at BBC, I have NEVER seen an oil related failure from ANY brand. Sure, failures from the oil delivery system, oil deprivation, etc, but not from the oils themselves......;)

Agree Bob.

I used only Quicksilver or Merc oil while mine was under warranty but, after that I've been using Pennzoil for awhile now because of the price and to me it actually smokes less does just fine.

All of the Pennzoil Outboard stuff is fine. Lots of controversy over full synthetic vs a "blend" in steel sleeved motors, but I've found that either does just FINE. ;)

I concur with Bob on the ANY oil that meets spec's is fime. If it has the TCWIII and that is what you engine calls for, use it!!! As a Mechanical Eng. along with some friends at API who do the testing for the certs, we use what meets the requirements.

I have run Ya'll-Mart Super-Tech outboard oil in my Mecr 200 EFI since 1999 and I put allot of time on my gear as I can fish all year. No issues. Why pay the Merc folks $26.00 a gallon for something you can get for half that and it meets the requirements?? Goes the same for the Yammie's. If that black jug is worth double to you, go ahead!:lol:

I've used a variety of brands (all within certified specs, of course!) and not noticed a problem with any of them. About the only difference I HAVE noticed is that my Yammie VMax 150hp sucks down the cheaper stuff a lot faster than the higher priced stuff! I pretty much stick with the Penzoil synthetic blend. Not the cheapest, not the most expensive, but both the motors seem to like it just fine. Good to hear Bob B.'s experience and verification (thanks Bob!).

Latest posts

Back