best all around bait casting rod?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greg hall

Reaction score
I've been using a 6.0' trigger med action w/curodo 6.2ratio last year but I am thinking of getting 2 all star MH fast action 6'.6" for all my cranking & spinner bait & buzz bait lure presentations.Is the Med Heavy action better in the 6.6 rod for all purpose fishing the fast tip seems ok but Ive allways used a med. action rod nevr a med heavy,Ive been using bigger baits & the 6.o rods seem short sometimes & casting would be better on the 6.6 mh fast tip all star,but also the 6.0 is good for tight cover spinner bait action.What do you guys like?

Fishing rods are tools, they each have their individual applications.

I use a 5'-6" trigger with a curado for spinners only in tight areas. 2 different actions depending on weight.

I generally use 7' med or mh for cranks, depending on the weight.

personally i like 7'M action for crank baits and 6'6"MH for spinner baits, all my B/Casting rods are BPS extremes

How tall are you? If you're at or above 6', I'd suggest a 7' or 6'6". Medium or MH depending on your preference. A longer rod gives you longer casts, but less accuracy.

I'm unhappy with All-Star (nothing to do with their actual rod). They were bought by Shakespeare last year, their lower end rods are made in China I think. I don't expect good things from them. Oh, and they didn't do very nicely with our bud Mini. Again, nothing to do with the rod itself, just the politics. You don't have to share my views, but I had to share them with you :).

BPS Pro Qualifier rods are a pretty darned good rod for their 69-79 SALE price. Also made way overseas.

Rods that are made in the US include:

St. Croix

Kistler

American Rodsmiths

some, if not most, All-Star

Loomis (though owned by Shimano)

But ya know what, you didn't ask where they were made, so how about I just shut up and quit inserting my opinion. Again, 6'6" MH for heavy tx rig (over 3/8 ounce), spinnerbaits, etc. 7'M for finesse presentations, light tx rigs, weightless, wacky, etc. 6'6"M if the 7'M feels too long.

ROFL!!!

"But ya know what, you didn't ask where they were made, so how about I just shut up and quit inserting my opinion."

Mike, if you didn't insert your opinion, you wouldn't be "Mike Snow"! And you know what? As much as some of your opinions may sometimes grate at me (not this one) I still know where you're coming from and that, when push comes to shove, you're right in there with everyone else! (When you're my size, it's nice to have peole around who are your size! :) )

And you've got one heck of a lot of knowledge to share!

You're Good People, Snowball!

To quote Mac.....

Carry on! :)

me!

All my rods are 6'6" and above.

6'6" MH - drop shot/senko (spinning)

6'6" MH - plastic jerks (casting)

6'6" H - spinner bait (casting)

7 Med - crank bait (casting)

7 MH - Worm/tube/grubs (casting)

7'6" MH - Jig (casting)

Mike Snow,

Why don't you call All Star and ask for employee opinion's on the recent purchase by Shakespeare. They are working more now than they ever did.

Michael Stalnaker

Latest posts

Back