Spinning Rod for Jig Fishing?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul P

Reaction score
The 2 biggest largemouth I have ever caught have both come on a jig so I have continued to try and improve my jig fishing. One of the techniques I have been struggling with for too long is skipping a jig with a bait casting rod to get it under docks, etc. I've given up with the thought that I will be able to do that anytime soon with a bait caster. So I've decided to look into using a Heavy or Medium/Heavy Spinning rod set up for cases where I want to skip a jig into a tight spot. Other jig fishing scenarios I will stick with my 7.5 ft heavy action bait caster.

Will a spinning rod work well for jig fishing and if so what rod size is recommended? I noticed that there are not too many heavy action spinning rods so am guessing that a med/hvy will need to work.

Thanks

Paul

Paul,

A spinning rod will be just fine jig fishing. I have a M/H setup with 12 lbs test that I use my finesse jigs when skipping docks. Dont forget about skipping tubes under docks as well. All other jig fishing I use my baitcasters.

Max

Very possible and I've done it a lot. I like to BPS Pro-Qualifier WST (Wide Spool Technology) reel with a JLM 6'6" rod, heavy/medium heavy action. Finesse jigs are another setup completely.

TOXIC

If I don't use a spinning rig trying to put something up/under a dock - I simply cannot master the technique enough to avoid the inevitable giant backlash when I miss. I haven't tried flinging a jig with a spinning rig, but certainly is something to consider.

As mentioned above, I would think you need a m/h to heavy rod to get a good hook set. I just remembered the hook set problem in another situation last week. I took two light action spinning rods on vacation to fish for panfish and possibly the occasional LM up in NW Arkansas. Bluegill's galore, with any number of LM looking for food. The only thing I could get them to bite on was some 4" finesse worms that I picked up with a shakey-head rig. Simply could not get a 'hook set'. The rod was simply too limber. Even with a 'skin hook' - I never got one to the dock. Big mistake on my part.

Tex

Use a 6 foot rod (more accurate) and braided line (better hookset).

A spinning outfit is what i use for all my jig fishing. Works for me...

Scott

Latest posts

Back