Battery Life and when to replace??

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrepMan

Reaction score
Ok Gang, the S.S. Daddy (better known as a 2000 Pro Crappie 175) is just over 4 years old. Last trip out 3 weeks ago, after about 2 hours of medium trolling motor use the battery seemed VERY low. I checked the water level and it's just fine, and the Guest charger seems to be working fine. A few folks (me! included) suggested that 4 years is more than reasonable life for a these batteries (1 trolling and 1 cranking) and that I should just replace them.

What's the thought around the board? Is it worth taking them in to Walmart or Sears to have them checked or just drop them off (pay a disposal fee of course) and replace one or both?

If I need to replace them, any suggestions? I don't Tournament fish so most of the time I only use the trolling battery maybe 1 hour a trip at most, but want a medium grade battery that will last at least 4 more years.

Brands? Location to purchase? Ones to stay away from? Are they all the same size? Do i need to measure the old ones and ensure the amps are same/bigger??

Help is needed - Thanks!

You're on borrowed time after 4yrs. Replace them with the same one's you've got now,...why switch brands....4yrs is "above avg. lifespan" and you got good ones from the get go....no reason to switch brands or take a gamble.....I'd just replace them with 2 or 3 new ones...identical to what you have now...IMHO.

Yep..you are lucky Trep..usually three years is good. As far as brand type..I'm sure your gonna' get a LOT of suggestions but, have found over the years..you can get a "bad" one with any name brand. Your choice...:)

TEE

Go to Wallyworld.

Whatever you get there, you can get warrantied anywhere you may travel.

(Just in case that ever becomes necessary.)

Good point Me!(Sounds like I'm talkin' to myself)...Wally's are everywhere.:)

OK so 3 folks agree, i'll take the 2 out this weekend and take them to the Local Walmart and replace with same kind. I think the trolling is Interestate.

Tox - when you say "awful big though" do you mean hieght or length and width too? My batter tray in the 175 does not have much room to handle anything wide/longer.

They won't fit a standard battery tray and they are heavy!! I had to cut the ends of my trays. Sooner got some also. I can't get out to measure right now but I am pretty sure they are bigger lengthwise and height.

TOXIC

Thanks Tox, i'll make sure I measure mine and replace only with ones that fit. I'm NOT cutting my trays!

you can replace the trays they're cheap. the everstarts are worth changing the trays. i did a 15 hour tourn in thick weeds and wind, 24 volt and they never even slowed at all. i even use 1 for the cranking batt. so i can run the livewells all day and not worry about the motor starting. on the trolling motor you might have to change breakers. when fully charged they can pop a smaller breaker.stan

Stan - you bring up a good question, on a 40 Merc do I realy need a cranking battery or would 2 trolling batteries be better?? Can a trolling battery consistently crank my 40 Merc??

You would be fine with 2 trolling batteries.

DO NOT go with 2 cranking batteries.

I put the Everstart Marine Maxx in my PT185 and Toxic is right is alot bigger. I not only changed my tray I had to install the new battery going north & south instead of east & west like the starting battery. I works good though and has never even acted like it was running out of juice even on two day camping/fishing trips.

Harpo

This is something I'm going to have to address too.How do you tell if the battries are bad? I bought an Duel Pro charger and I think its crapped out on me.Has indicator lights so you can tell when and how much of a charge you got.Well, the lights do'nt indicate no more.So I've been charging with a little Sears charger at 2amps.But batteries still do'nt seem hold the poop long.I've got 4 battries.Two are three yrs.Two I got last year.

Tim

Tim

Tim,...your problem is your charger,....a 2amp isn't going to have the cahonies to "giter-done!!".....What you need is a Guest Charger with a minumum of 10amps per bank....preferably 15!! Sue D. can hook you up with the right charger for your needs....Guest Chargers are the BEST in the industry and rumor has it that their customer service is pretty good too!! LOL....Sue knows more about chargers and batteries than anybody I've ever talked too...she's really on top of it!! (Plus,..she likes Hooter's wings and she can run with the big dogs!! You have to contact her,...tell her the "Michigan Mafia" sent you!!..LOL...that would be Mini, Mac, Craig, Marke and Ken!)

She'll have you charged-up in no time!!

Mac

Mac's right Tim. Get ahold of Sue at 888-483-7865 X 135. You can also take your batteries to Auto Zone or most any auto parts place and they will check them for free. That way you will know it you have a good battery to start with.

On another note, has anyone tried that special replacement fluid for the batteries? Supposed to lengthen the life, yada, yada.....Wondered if it helped.

TOXIC

Trep,

Be sure when you check the tray's, to determine whether or not you have a height problem. I bout a new tray for the bigger Everstart battery (got the big yellow one), and then realized that the top cover of the tray would not go on. Bumped up on the deck (overhead).

Tex

Gentlemen -

That sort of "special juice" has been around for years.

Never has worked.

It's just another snake oil.

me!

TT what you got was a battery box, a box is more made for an open boat, what you need is trays that have a strap that hold the battery in. Ill put a link to what i am talking about.

Trep, do a search on batteries. I have posted me thoughts on them many times. in a nutshell i dont like any of the batteries made by johnson controls( interstate, everstart etc) as i have has nothing but grief with them over the years. I dont care how good a warrantee is, it matters little when they croak after a rough run. in my opinion the best warranty is the one you never have to use.

Before you replace the battery test it. go get a hydrometer and test each cell. a hydrometer is the only way to check the true condition of each cell. The battery load tests that autozone and walmart test the batteries ability to provide current under a load, its mainly a test for car batteries not deep cycle. If you battery is truly bad see if you can find an ac delco near you if you want a true maint free battery. I have run them in the past and they work very well. otherwise i like the trojan batteries i use now a lot. withh the way you use yours one would probably last a decade. From what i see your not nearly as hard on batteries as some of us are, i would think a group 27 would be all the battery you need.
http://www.basspro-shops.com/servle...arClassCode=3&hvarSubCode=4&hvarTarget=browse

Latest posts

Back