Batteries

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Baker

Reaction score
So I found out today that my 2017 Tracker Targa V18 has 3 batteries. Dealer didn’t tell me it had 3. Leaving the master switch on for a week will kill all 3. Bought 2 new batteries and still nothing. Got refund on new batteries and took the boat home. After an hour of searching found the 3rd battery under the rear deck bench seats.

So I found out today that my 2017 Tracker Targa V18 has 3 batteries. Dealer didn’t tell me it had 3. Leaving the master switch on for a week will kill all 3. Bought 2 new batteries and still nothing. Got refund on new batteries and took the boat home. After an hour of searching found the 3rd battery under the rear deck bench seats.
Do you have pics? What size/type of trolling motor.
If it kills the batteries there has to be a draw. How old are the batteries?

If you have an Talons/Power poles, or any LIVE transducer there is always a power draw. You may need to install a switch to power these items down when charging. They are cheap and easy to install.

He said he left the master switch on, he assumed that is what killed the batteries. Did you have your onboard charger plugged in? Did you leave your trolling motor power on? I would think the charger would take care of the draw. Maybe the batteries had just reached their end of life. How long have you had the boat to not know you had three batteries?

Assuming two batteries were trolling Motor and one cranking. Yes, the master switch should control the cranking battery. The trolling motor batteries should be hooked to nothing else unless someone did some modifications hooking up something else. Unplug your TM at the end of the day and turn your master off. Many things have a parasitic draw of and can kill batteries unless they are plugged into a charger. That's the benefit of keeping it plugged in when stored. Trickle charge on battery charger keeps them topped off and covers the mistake of leaving the master on or the TM plugged in and it drawing power. Leaving them uncharged and very low on voltage for a long period of time will kill the batteries for good as well.

He says it's A 2017, if it's the original battery, might be time for new ones anyways. It is also true of what is said about charger charging all three even with switch on and yes I have left the master switch on with no charger plugged in and killed the batteries, but the charger brought them back after a long and hot charge. There is always an open circuit to the trim motor and auto bilge pump.

Latest posts

Back