BassCat customer service

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Snow

Reaction score
It has nothing to do with Nitros, but hopefully someone might read it and see how others are doing it.

I went fishing Sat morning, on the way to the lake, filled the gas tank. Ran around the lake a pretty good amount, got skunked, went home. Parked the boat where I normally park it (when not in the garage), half on, half off the driveway, maybe at a 5-10 degree angle leaning toward the passenger side. Well, it's Sunday night when I get to go out again, and notice some oily looking grass, then notice that the three pieces of non-skid rubber matting on the trailer are distorted and the adhesive is shot. Best I can figure is that the heat expanded the gasoline and it overflowed out the fill tube.

I called BassCat Monday morning, explained what happened, asked how much those three pieces were. I was never asked for my serial number nor my name a second time (like they would if trying to look up the serial number). Covered under warranty, no charge. The person I spoke to said he'd check with some of the other folks to see if they'd heard of anyone else having the issue (I didn't ask about that). He apologized for the problem and he'd get them shipped out pre-cut and ready to install.

I've read about BassCat's customer service, but usually it was a pro-staffer or someone who I figured might be pro-staff, and I've used a direct line to them in the past when asking questions before I bought. I didn't circumvent the system on this one, I called the parts department to order the parts. I didn't call warranty and try to get them to cover it, nothing like that.

I figure the parts would have cost me $10-20 (but we all know that we aren't shocked much when we THINK something is $10 and the price is $100 when it's attached to a boat), and sure, he could have gotten me to pay for it AND could have saved the shipping fees. He's have netted the company about $25 out of the deal (guessing). Instead, he "bought" free advertising because I'm here telling my story. He "bought" owner loyalty. He "bought" me remembering this should a "grey area" in warranty come up later and knowing that they treated me right and that I could give them the benefit of the doubt should they deny a "grey area" claim. I'd say that's $25 VERY well spent.

Snow, Thats great your getting that type of service from BassCat CS. But what does this have to do with Tracker Marine do you own Nitro or Tracker also?

Brian, not anymore. I had a 911 (see other post). It has nothing to do with being an owner of a Tracker or Nitro, but more aimed at what good customer service can do for a brand. Nitro has a less than stellar reputation in this regard and perhaps reading about what others receive elsewhere, that might change. One can hope.

Guess, I have been fortunate only to deal with Tracker CS once and that was in 1999, they replaced the hull on my 700LX, but until I got the right person on the phone is was like pulling teeth. So far my 2004 NX750 has been great no problems to speak of.

But you are correct, Tracker Marine and the Dealers need to make an effort to provide better CS, the competition for our $$$ is too fierce. Tracker's / Nitro's are no longer the least expensive boats on the market ( at least by thousands ) anymore. After you add in motor upgrades, shipping, prep, ect,,, they are almost as much as Skeeters, Tritons, and Basscats as an example.

Mike,

Not sponsored by them but yes, Bass Cat just goes that little extra to keep it's customers!

I remember when I bought my 2001 18' Sabre I thought the only thing that was "cheap/cheesy" about the boat was the plastic glove box in the passenger console. After about 5 months of ownership and during a trip out on the Delta, my son and I got turned around (lost?)somehow and I asked him to grab the map out of the glovebox. He asked me why I'd locked it and I told him I've never locked it yet it wouldn't open. So I got to messing with it and the inside part of the lock/latch came out in my hand. Needed a screwdriver to lift the catch to open it and guess where the screwdriver was stored? That's right, in the glovebox. (We did get the map out eventually or I guess I'm still lost,har)

Anyway, that was a Sunday and my dealer is closed Sunday/Monday so I called Bass Cat on Monday and related this humourous (it was to me anyway) story and they advised me that my dealer could get me a new "lock" and that the reason for the plastic glovebox was to hold costs down on the entry level boat (their other models have a metal cover for the glovebox). I called my dealer on Tuesday and once again related my humourous story and they told me they would order a new lock for me.

Now, as it turns out, that was a waste of a phone call. When I got home after work on that Tuesday, there waiting for me (shipped overnight delivery) was a brand new plastic glove box and lock and a metal cover for the bigger models in case I wanted to install it instead. That was my only "warranty" issue to date (+3 years) and they handled it like I was their only customer.

I will admit, when I looked at new boats in 2001, the stories I'd read about Bass Cat service really helped make up my mind to buy one and it was nice to experience their outstanding customer service for myself. Those people treat you great, and even though they refered me to my dealer (that's where it should start) they still went the extra mile in my case. (Maybe they thought the story was humourous too?)

Anyway,

My point is not to bash Nitro/Tracker, just to show the readers of this message board that "sometimes" we get what we pay for. Even though I'd bought their entry level boat and am not part of their "Pro Staff" they still went out of their way to try to satisfy this customer. I'm sure Bass Cat's 18' entry level boat is more expensive than Nitro's 18'2" models, and they may, for that reason, be able to provide that type of service. Just thought I'd confirm Mike's expeience as not unique...Bass Cat takes care of their customers!

Tom

BassCat is one of the finest companies in the business. Great family of people, and the I mean family. If you work there or are a longtime customer, you are family.

This doesnt surprise me a bit.

Mini

Mini,

How is the boat itself?

The only one I've rode in is Ken Purvey's old one.

One of the best built boats in the industry, not just the bass fishing industry, the MARINE industry. I have toured many factories in my marine engine design days (at Crusader Engines) and I can say the product they produce is top notch. It performs as well as it is built too. I am just glad they are starting to work on asthetics.

BassCat is not out to set the world on fire in the financial papers. They are a family owned company and are out to produce one of the finest built boats on the market and not lose money doing it. Their boats cost more (alot more than a Nitro) but you do get what you pay for in reference to BassCat.

I would reccommend on to anyone that can afford it.

Mini

Mini, Let's compare the Pantera Classic to then 901SC with a 200 EFI. The 901 is 27,400. The Classic similarly equipped would run around 29-30k. For 25,500, you can get an 05 Classic with an 04 200 EFI with a 71# trolling motor, single axle trailer, two x-51s, and rod box organizer. This includes hydraullic steering. (My info is somewhat second-hand on this, but if anyone's real interested, I can confirm). That price is DELIVERED, Set-up, etc.

But you are not comparing apples to apples Mike....you at 350 pounds should know that! lol

Equipped the same, the BassCat is more money. Period.

Mini

They might be rethinking that whole "family thang" now that Snowman is a member.

;>))

Harpo

Mini -

" I am just glad they are starting to work on asthetics."

Are they redesigning their paint scheme? While, without a doubt, highly recognizable, it just isn't up-to-date. Not bad - just needs a bit of twitching!

me!

I was referring to the design of the dashboards, seats, etc. Their design had not changed in years.....until 2003 I think.

Mini

Back