Auto question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Brone

Reaction score
Hello

I have a question about my friend's Chrysler Town&Country van. I don't know the year. I'd guess "05. The power steering works but seems to kind of jerk or stutter. It makes an annoying sound. Its behavior suggests to me that it's low on hydraulic fluid. But he says it's full. Any ideas as to what the problem might be? Thanks

It's kind of hard to diagnose an automotive problem over the internet, but if I had to make some guesses, I'd check the condition of the pump for leaks, condition of the front end components for damage and/or leaks, the belts condition, and if all looks good, and it actually is full, I'd say you probably just have a bad PS pump.

All the best,

Glenn

Power steering pump or belt. If the sound is squealing or chirping it is most likely the belt.....It could be glazed or loose, or both. If it is a grinding or moaning type of sound it is most likely the pump.

I don't remeber what year it was but Chrysler had a problem with bad ps fluid that caused those type of symptoms. The cure was to flush the system and replace with clean fluid. You just remove the return line and place it in a pan and then run the engine while adding new fluid until you see clean fluid coming out of the return hose. Stop the engine reconnect the return line, top of the system and then bleed it by turning the wheel back and forth from stop to stop with the engine running again. shut the engine and check the fluid one more time and you should be good to go.

Good Luck.

BF

There is a Technical Service Bulletin from Chrysler on that issue. It is bulletin # 19-011-04 and it is the replacement of an updated PS return hose/cooler and the use of ATF+4 fluid. Some models get a new steering gear also. I can fax you a copy of the bulletin if you PM me a fax #. I am an Auto mech by trade and deal with these all day long.

Latest posts

Back