anyone runing trojan batteries?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim B

Reaction score
just wondering if anyone has them and what thier impressions are? i am thinking about buying a set for my boat soon. i have duralasts(aka everstarts) and im less then happy with the performance, it has degraded rapidly in the last two months and the batteries are just over a year old. i already had one replaced due to failure. i always ran delcos in the past and was happy with them but they are hard to find now that kmart dosent sell them anymore. i keep reading god things about the trojan and want to hear what people who actually use them have to say.

Darnit JimBob you beat me to it!

"i always ran delcos in the past and was happy with them but they are hard to find now that kmart dosent sell them anymore. " Try the Pharmacy, kids were stealing them so they now have the Trojan's locked in a cabinet, just ask for them by name!!! LOL

How did i know this would turn into a big condom joke?

OHhhhh Teri, don't EVEN want to go THERE!!!! My wife would KILL me!!! LOL

I really like the Trojan Magnums, they don't seem to break down as quickly.....

Back to the topic... yes, I run a Trojan deep cycle. So far I am happy with it. BUT for the money ($112) I could have bought 2 AC Delco's (or close to it) had I been able to find them around here.

According to the sales rep these are suppose to be superior to other "name brands".

Teri - just AA? haha

Do they make anything bigger than a Magnum. Becuase I am really pushing alot of power through mine and I have even worn the Magnum's out.

You guys/gal are BAD!!!

Thanks Bruce for the reply. Where did you get your at? i found a place in auburn that sells them cheaper then any place i can find. For $111 i can get the group 31 size ones. The 27s go for about $100. like i said before im really not happy with the duralasts. everyone i talk to that has a johnson control battery says the same thing, they need replacing after a year. The ones i have cost 70 bucks, if i have to replace them every year i would rather spend the cash up front to get something that will last.

Jim,

I live in RI and have gotten Trojan Batteries where you are talking about. When I went they were great to deal with.

I have had the 27 group now for 3 years. I used them a season in my Nitro and now going on 2 seasons in my Triton and they are still going strong. Only thing to remeber is to check the water about every month. I will defiantely get another set when the time comes.

Rob L

I don't get it. Rob L says he'll do it again when the time comes, and his have lasted a whopping 3 years thus far. Aren't ALL batteries supposed to last 3 years? Mind you, I'm just trying to understand here. I've seen a lot of people swear by the batteries, but haven't heard anyone getting 8 or 10 years out of them yet (I think they're too new to).

Jim, I got mine in Auburn. The only other place I know of that sells them is NH Bass Supply (no tax). You may want to give him a call and get a price before buying in Auburn.

Mike - I have a Delco cranking battery going thru 4 seasons right now...will probably make that 8th season. Interstates lasted me 6 months, and the Everstarts last just about that long too. The only battery I can see lasting 10 years are the Evertrolls with the built in charger and extra attention to care for them, otherwise 6 years max is the life of a deep cycle under normal use.

Trojan has a reputation as one of the better battery brands on the market. Very big in the golf cart arena.

The spare-no-expense yacht crowd uses two brands: Rolls and Surrette, but they are hard to find except from distributors and marinas that service the big boys.

Maybe it could be me but beside the Trojan's, AC Delco's were the only other batteries that seem to last. The other brands I could get a season or possible 2 out of them. As far as getting 8-10 years out of them, never happen. Maybe a cranking battery you might, but I don't trolling motor batteries. Just my 2 cents.

OK: Battery 101 you get what you pay for. 102: most deep cycle and marine batteries only come with a 24 month warranty because most are neglegted. AC delco in my book are #1 for the batteries I have used. But who made them?? G.M,Ford,Dodge,Walmart,Kmart,Sears,Pep Boys and the list goes on DO NOT MAKE THERE batteries?? They buy them from Johnson control,Deka or Exide.. Most Boat batteries set idle 6 months out of the year (Thats fishing boats) During that time most are left unattended and subject to harsh temps. Once a battery freezes and loosens the plates it is domed. You want your batteries to last get an on-board charger,use it and always top off with distilled water.

Off my soap box..

BF

From what im seeing here it looks like the Johnson control batteries( duralast, everstrt, interstate etc..) arent too good. Like i said mine are year old and there spent, one so bad i brought it back and i plan to take the other back tonight. i just dont want to have to do this year after year. it looks like in going to replace the duralasts in the spring if i can wait that long. i thin i may get two group 31 trojans if i can fit them in the boat. I have never had battrery issues in the past wih the delco's i had in my old boat. when i traded it in they were going on 5 years old and still working strong. I use my trolling motor pretty hard, harder then most people and it drives me nuts when the power isnt there. Given the fact that i take very, very good care of my batteries sthis shouldnt be happening. I take care to make sure they are charged properly, have water etc, i also put the batteries in the basement on a shelf connected to a maintainer for the winter so they dont freeze and loose charge yet after one season these batteries are toast. i guess the lesson is dont buy a johnson control battery.

I must not fish enough since I have the original Interstate batteries in my boat into the 4th season. I maintain the water level, but I never remove them from the boat. In the winter, I remove all connections except for the onboard chardger and charge them up once a month. Now that I said this, my batteries will probably die next week!!

Bob G.

Johnson Control make's lots of batteries for lots of folks. I was not trying to name brands to sellers because it does change around alot.. The main problem with batteries I see these days is shelf life.. How old is the battery when you buy it?? How long was it at the factory before being shipped? How long was it at the sellers warehouse before being shipped? How long was it in the store before being bought? Was it brought back from 1 store because it did not sell and then shipped to another seller?? How old is your battery?? Would anybody think it rude to place a grab bag item on how to tell how old your battery is? If not I will make one up and send it to the boss here for an OK.

BF

I had to buy new batteries this spring, I tried to listen to everyone on the board and every body had a different opinion, I read everything I could on the net, I had to make my own decision and I went with an optima gell battery YELLOW for my cranking battery and I went with a Trojan gell for my trolling battery, I still only have 1 Trojan because I couldn't afford the second one at the time and I have not had any problems at all yet,I haven't even completly drained the Trojan yet,I am not a tournament basser but I do use the trolling battery quite a lot and am very happy with both batteries.

hope this helps ,i'll have more information next summer at this time about how long they last.

Steve B.

Latest posts

Back