Any Trans guru's here?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruce Freeman

Reaction score
Victim 92 F150, 5.8, E4OD, 4X4. 198,000 miles and the trans was rebuilt 85,000 miles ago.

Symptoms, three times now the trans has pushed major amounts of fluid out either from the converter seal or the front pump seal (I don't know which because I have not pulled it yet.)The first time was two years ago on the way to Pittsburg. Let it cool down, refilled and added some Lucas trans sealer. It's been fine ever since. Many trips with the boat, several trips with the car and trailer, two trips to Fla and back and never used a drop of fluid. Last week on the way home from work it puked again and I let it cool and topped it off and it seemed to be fine. Today it did it again with the boat in tow. This time I was less than 1/4 mile from home and finished the ride. The trans does not slip or shift funny or chatter or any symptoms of failure other than the fluid loss. I am going to check the vent tomorrow to make sure its free and clear, other than that I am at a loss for ideas. Oh and the truck does have the factory tow package with trans cooler.

Thanks

BF

Bruce - 85000 mile out of a rebuilt Ford tranny, i'd just buy a new one!! I got 75k out of my last ford tranny!!!

Good luck! Keep that truck rolling!

My Jeep went over 200K last week and then I put it in the shop for a tranny overhaul. I thought it was Chrysler that had the crappy tranny's.:huh:

Back in 2002 my 95 f-150 did it too. It was the pump. I was towing the boat to BPS for some warranty work when it happened. A big plume of smoke behind the truck and all over the boat. I got off the highway and bought several bottles of fluid and got it to a ford dealer. I almost burned the truck up when I spilled some fluid on the exhaust manifold. I couldn't get the fire out and was thinking about disconnecting the boat and pushing the truck down the embankment.

Gene

Latest posts

Back