Any Interest in a GA NTOWS Sat. Fishing Club???

• Thread starter Michael Trepper
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrepMan

Reaction score
OK i'm still thinking about joining a "formal" BASS santioned club, BUT. I got to thinking last night after reading a number of the posts about folks wanting a Saturday club, not competitive and the like.

What I was thinking, if anyone is interested, is that we could create a GA Club for members of the NTOWS. Here are my initial thoughts:

1. Instead of a monthly meeting, since folks are from ALL over GA, we could meet monthly in the ChatRoom on this site.

2. The goal would be little if any overnight T's, only Saturday T's. We would fish (like other clubs) from Safe Light till maybe 2-3pm.

3. We'd make it a draw style (I could rig up a quick spreadsheet with a partner generator built in), where on the monthly Chat session we'd take boater/non-boater info and pair folks up.

4. We'd meet at the designated lake at the nearest Wafflehouse an hour or so before the blastoff to meet each other, and swap gear into boats and such.

5. We could also make it that there would be a early dinner after each monthly T to give us a chance to talk and BS more, if it was agreed by the members.

6. This would be open to all NTOWS members, regardless of boat/brand. IT would also allow those NTOWS members in neighbooring states to join us if we fished for instance Hartwell one month or an Allabama/TN lake one month.

7. We'd still figure out a basic Tourney Fee (someone would have to help me figure out what we have to do to have a Weighin, like permits?, purchase of the scale, buckets and such...).

8. I'm envisioning no yearly dues, no BASS affiliation and such. Just a monthly fishing get together with friends and new friends to see how we do on the water.

9. We could put say $20 in each month at the wafflehouse get together and set a payout schedule in advance for top X places and big fish. Just something to make it interesting and challenging, and maybe pay back some of your gas $$.

10. We'd have to figure out some system for the non-boater that trip to pay/split the gas costs on the boat. That should not be hard. And i'd want to encourage/force that folks take turns with thier boat and others, so everyone gets a chance to fish with other people.

OK I know i'm leaving out a LOT of details but wanted to see what the interest would be like for this.

Post up your ideas, suggestions and if you live GA if you are interested.

Trep

OK Chris - YES glass boats will be allowed to fish!!! LOL

Sounds like fun! Getting to meet the infamous Trepper on top of that! Instead of weigh ins, maybe just a bunch get together and just go fishin'. Maybe every other month would suit me schedule better. Every month might fit most folks too. Just make it when we can. Maybe a fish fry or dinner at a local restaurant. Good idea. Count me in.

(seeing my boat has been wet only once this year.

Was HOPING you'd pop in here Richard, after our miss earlier this year on Trout Fishing.

I had thought of for weigh in's maybe "on the water" with each boat having a digital scale and then you weigh them on board and record them with the other guy/gal on the boat as the official, then i'd just take those weights at the ramp and we'd divy up the cash. Its the gambler in me!!! LOL

Trep,

I'm only a "wannabe" right now :(

There are many non-federated clubs in my area, you could even specify "Saturday-Club" and or 100% payout, no meetings other than at the ramp, no year-end dinners and you will porbably draw a good number of people, there is a club by me that only does tourneys on Thurs afternoon's.

Good luck

Couple of other thoughts to get the club going, random-draw only, (beleive me on this one), one or two open buddy TX's, make the weigh in at the ramp after the tourney, without that feature you will always need an even number of boaters & non boaters, it also impacts paper tourneys.

Inspect livewells for operation prior to the tourney, then do not penalize dead fish in excess, maybe just a couple ounces per fish. Make a rule that the non-boater pays the boater a "pre-defined" fee for each tourney, more for big water & less for small bodies of water. Keep that and all rules consistent for all members. The tourney director position is the key officer in the club!

All boats should have a "Golden Rule",

health breaks should be the only reason the members leave the boat during a tourney.

all tin-rig owners should have a lead poison test done prior to joining!

BWAHAHA, sorry couldn't resist

Tox - See #8:

8. I'm envisioning no yearly dues, no BASS affiliation and such. Just a monthly fishing get together with friends and new friends to see how we do on the water.

SO i'm not suggesting a big formal club thingie. What i'm thinking, and I don't know if there are enough members in GA to even make it work ,but would be 10+ folks who once a month fish a lake w/in a few hours of home, change up partners so we meet and talk to each other. Heck we could make it a partner style meeting where 5 fish total for the boat (that would solve some of the boats like mine with smaller livewells). Like Richard, the idea is to meet folks and get on the water with a little fun competition in for maybe a $20 or so for first place. Or if folks didn't want to fish for $$ we could set up a points system and at the end of the year, everyone pitches in $5 for first place or something like that.

I figure your "lot of responsibility" is about things like liability and $$ management. Since there would not be dues or any $$ held month to month, the $$ is not an issue. And on liability I figure this would be like the previous NTOWS rallys, it's not official and it's not anything but voluntarily taking a buddy fishing.

Just thinking out loud, and trying to come up with a way to force a once a month trip and get out more!

In fact, maybe i'd just schedule 8-10 mini-rally's at lakes in GA and near by and see if anyone want to meet for a day of fishing, but i'd like a schedule to book on the family calender and know i'm going FISHING!!

Trep , we have a sunday open tourny here in my town . every weekend.All you have to do is show up 30 mins before daylight and pay your $40 , Its a team tourny . show up with your partner or fish alone.no draw at ramp. Or the club i am in is a fed club, heres how we do fees. $20 for the boater and $20 for the nonboater all paid by the non boater any gas or other expenses can be arranged by both partys. $5 to $20 or what ever is agreed on. I never take money on home lake or close by. Any lake 1 hour away $25 paid to the boater i think the $25 is a little high for the non boater to pay .Being a boater i know the costs of things gas boat .tow vehicle, prefishing but thats my choice , and given the choice most of us would want to fish out of their boat for the comfort like being at home. all is agreed cause non boater pays $40 up to $65 for away tournys. One thing that eliminates ,is having the non boater filling up a 40 gallon tank that may or not been filled . example it keeps everyone honest and happy . hope that helps...... joe

Trep,

I agree wholeheartedly with Tox. You may think you are in the shallow water, but you are actually standing right on the big dropoff into deep water.

Also, my personal opinion and experience is that something that is put together so loosely, will not stay together. There are several 'informal trails' here on Wylie. Everyone lives within 10-20 minutes of the lake. They have trouble keeping more than 6-7 boats active. One person, for the most part, takes on ALL THE RESPONSIBILITY.

Tex

Count me in for sure! I'm new to this site (i've been watching a while, This forced me to join!)

Tox and Tex - Drop me an email and let me know your concerns. If i'm missing something big (you know i'm not experienced in this) I want to know early.

I guess maybe we are thinking of 2 different things? I'm thinking of like a friendly monthly Poker game. You invite your friends to join and if they want to bring a friend great. Over time some folks come regularly, some drop out. If I do this I'll set out a schedule for 2005 starting probably in Feb or March and going through year end.

I do agree that something loosely put together may not stay together, but if enough folks want to try it I may be game. As I said it depends on what the other club trail looks like. I can't afford to spend 2 weekends a month away from my family.

Jeff - Welcome aboard my friend!

Trep

Here's the short of it:

1) There have always got to be rules, if not . . . .

2) Someone has to be in charge of the money (even just friendly pot money).

3) Someone has to be in charge of the weigh-in.

4) Someone has to buy the weighin 'stuff' (and store it, and make sure it's there and . . .)

5) Someone has to settle disputes.

6) Someone has to set lake/ramp/time/etc.

7) Someone has to do the pairing (unless it's strictly team oriented).

8) Someone has to check with everyone to see who is going.

9) Someone has to coordinate where you meet for this breakfast.

10) Someone has to keep score.

11) Someone is going to be legally responsible (this will undoubtedly come into play at some time).

12) Someone . . . .

I just started. You want me to keep going?????

If you want to do this, then get the folks together and form a club. Draft some bylaws and tourney rules, elect some officers (those are the folks that do all those items above), and then go fishing.

Otherwise . . . .

Your buddy - Tex.

OK so far it looks like Richard, Jeff and I talked to Rich Stern, he might join a few times a year if he can.

Any other interested parties?

Thanks for the hospitality Trep, I have a intresting option for you and whoever would like to come. My fishing partner and myself have a few acres that boarder a 50 acre lake that no one else can get too without crossing our land. It is absolutly loaded with huge largemouth (i will post some pictures tomorrow) we sometimes catch as many as 100-120 a day, sometimes as few as 20. But it is too much fun! And it is only about 1 1/2 hours from atlanta. We usually catch at least one over 6 lbs every time. We have cought about 15 over 6lbs this year alone. (all released). I would love to show you guys that are intrested what fun is all about. As well as the beautiful mountians and wildlife that make it so special. It will just be us out there. Let me know what you think.

Jeff

Trep I gotta fishing buddy who rides a Tracker who would join. He lives in Dahlonaga and fishes Lanier an the orher lakes often. This would be his 1st club/tourny situation so he would be suited good for you guys. I know 99.999999% that he would. So you got another. I will call him tonight and give him the scoop, but he is pretty much a definite go.

Donnie

Trep,

If you are just doing the type of Rally that KB, CIII, Bill, And others do....then great.....That's not a club. You'll have a lot of fun.

I gotta go now, I'm drawing up a plan to Kidnap Jeff!!

TOXIC

Tox - I'm thinking of something between a Rally and a formal Club. Something that does have scheduled dates/lakes, no DUES and open to anyone from this Site to join any lake any month. BUT would need to get probably 8-10 folks total interested before it would be worth trying to set a lake schedule and such.

I checked and their are 67 GA members of this site, i figure most are not regular posters, so i'll keep this post open/on top every few days for a while.

I liked the idea of just Big Fish, that gives folks something to shoot at while fishing. Maybe a $5 pot for big fish, and just FISH and have FUN!!

Trep

Jeff - on that 50 acre lake is it acessible by boat or just shore fishing? Either way i'd LOVE to try that in the spring! MAN that would be FUN!!

Trep

Trep,

We have 3 aluminum boats with trolling motors, I will post some pics as soon as i find them (ijust moved) I will keep you posted.

Jeff

Latest posts

Back