Anchor weight for 175??

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrepMan

Reaction score
OK Gang my 5+ yearold Anchor is on its last leg. Its a 3 prong river anchor but after this long use the 3 prongs are bent severly INWARD so it does NOT grap/hold bottom very well, as I found out on Sunday afternoon. So, a week from Saturday Eli and I are meeting Beka and Noah (they will be comming home from Noah's first week ever at sleep away camp, and Beka will spend that week with her Sister/Mom) at BPS.

So...The question is I have the Stainless Anchor mate system, and which anchor would be best and how heavy should I go? I typicaly use it in the river 30% of the time and on the lake 70% time when we go swiming.

Trep

If it's in the river I'd go no less than 20 lbs.....and don't worry about what kind of flukes either.

If you let out enough line...it will hold...besides, once you lose it in trees it won't matter:blink:

I use an 18 lb. on my electric anchor and it's just a standard mushroom:)

Thanks Tee my standard 3 fluke is just soo bent it doesn't catch well in sand anymore. I was debating between a mushroom or a 3 fluke (both in the covered plastic shell).

I've lost three already in the last couple of years. Caesers Creek is loaded with wood and it'll eat your anchors for lunch...that's why I stick to the cheaper ones.

when you loose one is it that it gets caught and you can't pull it up and cut the rope? I've had mine stuck a few times but been able to get it up by getting it tight and motoring up/back to loosten it.

Trep

Not these! I tried everything...foward,backwords. and pertnear tore the front of the boat off tryin' to get it loose. This crappie area I fish has heavy timber on the bottom in 35 feet of water! If it gets lodged below a limb...your screwed:p

OK remind me if we ever get together to crappie fish up there, we take YOUR boat and anchor!!:lol:

I use a 5# Danforth and it holds whenever I anchor whether in a lake or out here in the California Delta. Danforth Anchors work by digging in NOT the weight of the anchor. For a 175 you want something small, light and able to hold well. The Danforth does all of that without the bulk and weight of traditional anchors. The HARDER the boat pulls whether due to backing down on the anchor line, current drift or wind set, the harder the anchor holds because it's flukes dig in deeper.

25 years in the Coast Guard and this is the ONLY anchor style we use on boats 110 feet and smaller. The key to any anchor holding is how much anchor line you put out. The general rule of thumb is 3 to 5 times the water depth is how much anchor line to put out. The length of your anchor line is dependant on not only the water depth but on wind and current conditions. In windy conditions 5-8 times the water depth is the rule. Hope this helps. A 175 is a small light boat and does not need the extra weight of a huge anchor on board. Id rather bring along an extra 20 pounds of tackle! LOL!!

Stay Safe.

Kenji

Kenji - My only concern with the Danforth anchor is I don't think it would sit well with my anchormate while driving/boating, the mushroom/3 fluke type fit it well. I had a danforth on my jonboat in Texas.

Thoughts??

Latest posts

Back