Aluminum vs. Glass boats

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenny Guess

Reaction score
Those that have had both, can you give me reasons why or advantages of either? I may be looking for a new boat soon ( 2004 PT 175 now) and may consider glass this time.

Been debated forever....sometimes in jest, sometimes seriously.

Tin

Easier to tow

Lower initial cost

More durable (TEE might recant that now)

Deep v's handle rougher water

Ultimately you need to decide what your wallet will allow and the water you fish. Every point you make for either can be debated.

And as Neeley so aptly said: Dem Bassus luv sparkles!!:lol::lol:

TOXIC

:lol::lol::lol:

I am tin till the end... Except for the Aluminum Tundra (now gone from the Tracker line) you CAN get a better rough water ride from a well designed glass boat (just more sophisticated hull designs). Glass can be a lot "prettier" with sparkles and shiney colors. At the high end there is not a lot of cost advantage to aluminum.

Now, as for tin...longevity. Tox fished out of the front on my tin rig that is going into it's 18th season! Just keep replacing rivets! She is a tank that floats.

In an aluminum, you can really get a lot of new boat for your dollars at the low and mid price points.

Man this will bring out a LOT of fun discussions!!

I've had both (Pro Crappie 175 w/40 Merc and Nitro 700lx DC w/115 Merc),

For me it came down to:

Tin is ligher to tow, less gas, less hassle, worries less about shallow/skinny water, cheaper entry price, BUT - Very few in Dual Consoles in Tin (need one now for my tourney partner), Tin not as fast as the Glass with the same motor/size (Semi-V vs Pad hulls) more storage (generally) in Glass, typically wider in Glass, Tin blows more in the wind. And Rich made me a deal i couldn't refuse on the Nitro, and I sold my tracker so quick it was easy! I think there is a much better market for used Trackers then used Nitros price wise just my experience.

If they still made the TV 18 with a Dual Console that would be my idea boat with a 150 Opti as a all around great boat including Tourneys.

And while my only Tourney Win & Big Fish ever was in Tin, I'm off in the AM to fish, because...Dem Bassus luv sparkles!! :wub:

Tin all the way. Started with a PT175 and upgraded to a G3 HP180. Running 60mph with a 150hp Yammie. Incredibly smooth ride with pad-like hull. Too bad just about every single boat manufacturer got rid of their high performance tin (no more Tracker Avalanche, G3 HP180 or Triton Magnum). Xpress still makes a high performance tin with pad performance. That said, I do know they get blown around (a 70lb thrust 24V trolling motor helps there!). But then again, no stress cracks, chips, gel coat worries, concerns about stumps or scrapes, etc. Less maintenance too. My boat doesn't sparkle, but it will look as good now as it will ten years from now.

Glass boats ride better due to more weight, are faster due ability to shape glass, and look a little better. Tin boats tow better and you can beat them up more without hurting them. If I was fishing all large lakes I'd buy glass, rivers- aluminum all the way.

I had a tin for 8 years nice boat I went to glass lot nicer the ride,stability storage etc,just my 2 cents

I've got the now discontinued Tracker Tundra after 13 years in a Nitro. It's a great dry boat looks like glass but is a lot lighter. I still miss my glass boat but no going back now plus it fits my style of fishing now. It rides soooooo much better than my Nitro.

fatrap

Started TX fishing in 1980 and I have had allot more glass boats (7) than the single aluminum boat I have now (Xpress X19). But I have kept the X19 since 2000. And it has a lifetime transferable hull warranty. It runs as good as or better than most other 19' glass boats and has taken allot of rough water all over the US. I wouldn't tell you it's any better than anyone else's rig, but it has a spot in my garage for the foreseeable future.:)

Well maybe not Tox!:lol:

Apparently the reweld of the keel eliminated the leak. Sooooooooooo

I'm still on the fence!:lol:

Just got back from the Holler and it was flawless just like before;)

Like Fatrap....after having several glass boats for over 40 years I went to tin, it suits my needs and my fishing style and up keep seems to be a bit easier and that's what we Ole' farts are looking for, I'm built for comfort now and not speed....

Fatrap I didn't mean to infer that you are an Ole'F...

after driving tin for 3o yrs i finally went to glass. the big thing i notice is planing speed . my tin boat [lowe 16 flat bottom would be on plane at about 20 mph on up to wot. the glass boat needs to run a lot faster to stay on plane and when it comes off plane it just wallows. when im asked i say that glass boats only have 2 speeds idle or full on. but i really love my nitro.:)

Ticked 45 MPH with a 90 in my 185 Saturday at the Holler! She was movin' in the cool air!

That's the wife and I and Sparky and a full load too:)

I can stick it on plane in the blink of an eye and cruises good at any speed.

Another benefit is towing....didn't even know it was behind me at times. That's a real plus when towing in the mountains.

Good luck in your choice.

One of each (at least ;) ), if you have the room. A good aluminum boat will get you places glass boats fear to tread. A properly equipped 18'-20' glass rig will take you almost everywhere else in most conditions within several miles of shoreline.

Mike

I AM an old fart. A Grumpy old one at that.

Things I like about my Tundra which is lum-i-numb.

The walk through windshield

no more cold water showers in rough water.

it's almost impossible to fall out of while peeing over the side
fatrap

it looks like a glass boat with no sparkles.

Things I don't like about my Tundra

coming into the dock it handles like $#it

Climbing into it while on the trailer is a challenge

I lack the pressure to not dribble while peeing over the side.:lol:

fatrap

Mike,

Chop both ends off of a whiffler ball bat... that solves the "dribble" issue! And, a set of steps (see link below" will solve the other problem.
http://www.ezeestep.com/

Latest posts

Back