alumaducer

• Thread starter CHRISTOPHER INGRAHAM
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a Tracker 190tx with a Hummingbird 141c transom mounted transducer.Depth finder works o.k. at slow speeds but not at all on plane(erratic readings). Has anyone tried an Alumaducer by Vexilar, it's a thru the hull transducer thats compatible with most major units and is supposed to eliminate the signal loss thru aluminum hull. Bass Pro Shops neglected to tell me that unit wouldn't work on aluminum boat.

I don't understand the line,
Bass Pro Shops neglected to tell me that unit wouldn't work on aluminum boat.
Why wouldn't it work on an aluminum boat when the transducer was mounted on the transom? What "aluminum" could be interfering?

I know that before I went to all of the trouble of trying to buy something extra and then try to mount that transducer as a 'thru-the-hull' shooter, I'd try everything I could dig up that may explain why I was having trouble now!

I'm certainly not an expert and am one of the people who is the first to cry for help from everyone here when something doesn't work right on my boat.

Is your transducer mounted too close to the big motor, so maybe it was sending all sorts of weird signals, probably just caused by the bubbles and roiling water the major motor was maybe causing.. Is it mounted to high up or too far down. There are all kinds of illustrations on the internet that show this and how to do it..

I would also give a shout out to Humminbird and explain to them just what's happening. I have found their customer service to be top notch!

I hope, whatever it is, you can get it taken care of Scott! Best wishes on the way!!;)

Uncle Billy

Greg Walters has not been on in a while, this is a great question for him. Paging Greg Walters, call on line 1. :lol:

TOXIC

There are MANY references on this board and the internet regarding aluminum boats and transom mount transducers. Even the one you are describing....

It will work, but it may not work where you have it mounted. If BPS mounted it, then you may have to find another place that will work.

bad install = bad performance.

move the transducer to a better location.

mike c

IN response to Uncle Billy, Bass pro said unit wouldn't function properly because aluminum boats create too much turbulance or air bubbles on plane affecting performance of transducer.

Bass Pro led you wrong. There thousands of people using transducers with aluminum boats VERY successfully. They are partly right though. turbulance and air are bad.

Where is the transducer mounted?

There is alot more info and this will take alot longer if we go back and forth like this.

Take a picture of the transom. I assume it has a set back or a stepped transom.

You need to have the transducer at least 1/4" below the "pad" or the lowest section of the boat when it is on plane. If there is no place to mount it you may have to shoot thru hull with the aluminum transducer. I am not familair with that hull....I will look on trackers website

it has the offset transom. is it on the lowest part of the hull? If not thats where it needs to be BUT you have to be certain that you are not interfering with the water flow to your engine!

the material of the boat does not matter, its the correct placement that makes or breaks the unit, i have an aluminum boat and at 65 mph i read the bottom perfect. make sure its not to deep but close to even with the bottom of the boat about half way down the v and it should work fine.

mike c

I never could get my transom mounted transducer (on a PT-185) to read at speed either. I hated it. Through hull is much better in my opinion. I've seen the through aluminum hull transducers advertised but have no experience with them.

Here and lurking Toxic!

Scott, what these guys have told you is absolutely correct. If you can get the transducer mounted in an area that has an uninterrupted flow of air-bubble free water flowing across it you will get high-speed depth readings. Unfortunately most boat manufacturers don

Scott, do a search on this site for a post on this subject. I don't remember who it was but I do remember a year or two ago somebody rigged up a skimmer transducer bracket with some brace bar material. I think it made the transducer run deeper. All I can remember was something about the "McGiver" transducer bracket. Does anybody else remember this?

Yes, someone took a piece of brace bar material and bent it into a U-shape then used that to extend their transducer mounting bracket so that the transducer was dunked further into the water. Frankly, I had the same problem until someone on this board told me to angle my transducer down a bit more on the bracket (so it stuck in the water more). That did the trick for me. Greg (and others) are absolutely correct in that you need a clean stream of water flowing over the transducer. Whether that's from angling the ducer down or having the whole thing deeper in the water, the key is that clean, bubble-free stream of water.

I remember that McGyver Bracket as well. Did a search on "mcgyver" and came up with the folloing post by Bill:

http://www.nitroowners.com/msgboard9e.asp?boardname=msg&view=647002&replycount=11&archive=1

The picture did not show up in the text of the message but I was able to find it in his Library pictures in the "Mod Pics" folder.

Greg Walters at Humminbird

I thank ya'll for your input. I made up bracket tonight similar to the Mgyver bracket suggested by Greg. Will try out this weekend. Again I appreciate the help, Thanks

Just realize that his transducer is on the hull as low as it can get. If yours is on the motor mounting surface part of the transom and not the lower stepped portion, the "legs" of your extender bracket might have to be too long....they will have a tendancy to kick up while running.

Mini,

I can't remember right off if the 141c comes with the 'kick up' type transducer hardware or not. If it does, there is a location for a 4th screw that locks the transducer and hardware down so it does not kick up.

Scott,

If this works we expect a picture!

Greg Walters at Humminbird

Latest posts

Back