Allowed only one lure???

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
I was watching several of the Bass Pro show I have on DVR this weekend. One segment was "if you only had one lure to use, what would it be?" I liked the segment and found this very interesting. I was surprised KVD chose a spinner bait.

So, if YOU only were allowed one lure to use from now on, what would it be and what color?

Mine would be a 1/2 String King Red Eye Shad in sexy shad. Yep, I have converted from Rat-L-Traps.

Mine would be the senko in blue gill (orange and green).

I have caught largemouth, smallmouth and spots in shallow and deep water, in cold or hot weather and water, in reservoirs, lakes and rivers with that. I have the utmost confidence in it.

Randy!

That was a good one. I am not surprised at all that KVD went with a SpinnerBait. For years in all his DVD's he has been so attached to a spinnerbait, although he seems to say that about all his lures, But who can argue with him..

It's a tough choice, I guess It would come down to a shakey Head or a drop shot worm for me. But in the end a drop shot would have to be the ONE..

This could be a good thread. Im curious as well to how many others would pick Rubber over plastic..

If its not a specific time of the year/conditions, Mine would be a 1/8 oz Shakey head with a junebug Zoom Shakeyhead worm.

Without a doubt,...............................wait for it..........................A SENKO!!:lol: :lol::lol: Color would be 297 (green Pumpkin/black fleck). Why? Because there is no other lure that can be rigged on so many different ways to match different conditions. I came up with 76 different ways to rig and fish a Senko. You'd be hard pressed to find another lure more versatile and with as many variations on rigging.

TOXIC

I'm with Toxic on this one...same color too!! I'm addicted to them!!

Toxic, I have only fished a senko without weight with marginal luck around here (prolly operator error). But...if I was going to try to fish it with weight, what's the best way to rig it and the most common weight (do I used the same as I would a texas rigged berkley worm)? If I add weight, I usually put on something else. Most common for me are Berkley Powerbait 7" black with blue fleck or a Zoom watermelon candy finesse worm. U really think a senko would beat those?

Without a doubt I would go with the spinnerbait as well. I think it can replicate so many different baits and can actually cover all depths and all speeds.

A deep diving, turbocharged Hula Popper with the Umpy Bumpy fins in Lemon Pepperstruesel color.

:lol::lol::lol:

Truthfully... A Senko - more than likely in Watermelon with Red Flake... but I've done well with Toxic's color choice too. Around here, watermelon red is the popular color (at least for now).

All the best,

Glenn

I caught most of my bass on top water. I like the Zara Spook. If we are taking about sac-a-lait, I like spoons and of course for red fish I really like a poppin cork with an artificial shrimp.

Barry from La. :)

Count me in for a Senko too. These are just a few of the ways I rig them, wacky, texas, darter head, shakey head, dropshot, and with nail weights in the head to get them deep faster. Just about any watermelon or cinnamon color works for me.

NoCAL

Only one lure and color . . . .

Zoom trick worm - probably green pumpkin.

TX Rigged most of the time, Carolina Rigged the balance of the time.

Tex

For me it's between a spinnerbait and a jig and it's a tough choice.

I guess i would have to go with a jig, specifically a yamamoto 5" hula grub in green pumpkin rigged on a 3/8oz football jig. I can catch fish on that everywhere i fish.

Along with the spinnerbait the spider grub is my money lure.

I would chose the only thing that Is proven to get them everytime,,DYNOMITE In red...:)

As I typically only bass fish when the water is in the 60's and above I'd have to go trick worm or senko as well.

Jim B stole my answer! :lol:

Only thing I'd change about it is to a 4" spider grub with 3/16 oz. mushroom head and 6-8# test. I really believe you could be dropped just about anywhere and catch fish on a jig.

KVD just answered my Ocho/Senko questions this evening. Going to try a few different senkos rigs this weekend. Maybe I will change my mind on my "one".

I won't try and re-list the 76 ways, I had them in a notebook and would add them as I thought about it or heard of different styles. I was going to do an article for Inside Line on it but have not. Some of the odd ways (and these were all verified that it was actually used) were for things like a trailer on spinnerbaits/buzzbaits and jigs. I will say this, if you are going to weight it, you can probably drop down to a less expensive plastic. Weight, as a rule, kills the action on a Senko (except center weighting wacky style and the Gamakatsu flat weighted flutter hooks specially designed for wacky rigging). I was watching a fishing show where an advertiser made the mistake of showcasing their Senko knockoff....it was Z-Man baits, and when they pitched it in the water, no matter what they did it had no action whatsoever. Even wacky rigged, it fell like a wood stick. One of the best commercials for the Senko I have ever seen. If I make it to the MVM you will get a first hand look at the Wong Rig and how deadly it is. Does it "require" a Senko...I don't think so, but that's what I use because.....well.....we all know why I use them. I have yet to find any Senko knockoff that has the same action.

TOXIC

Funny we had this conversation this past weekend at Buggs Island, guy ask if I could only use 1 bait what would it be, I said it would be either a spinnerbait or a Rat-L-Trap. You can use both of those to work all 3 water coloums. Heck this past weekend they were eating a trap, as long as you fished it like a worm!! :lol: Sllllooooooowwww and on the bottom!

I'll jump into this one. A White Tripple Ripple Grub, 3" on a black 1/8 oz jig head. I catch everything from Crappie, Walley, Pike, Largemouth, Smallmouth, Perch Sunfish trout, you name it and it will probably eat it..... Great for teaching kids to fish...:)

Spinnerbait, I fish it fast or slow, I can fish it shallow or deep, plus its the first bait that I caught a bass on, so it will always be special to me

5/0 Gamagatsu wide gap hook Texas rigged with green 3/16 tungsten wieght and a Zoom 6" watermelon lizard. There ain't nothing more funner than the art of catching a bass on soft plastic.

Day in and out...spinner bait and everyone knows there's single,safety pin,double, and on and on. There IS a lot you can do with it...fast or slow, deep or shallow.

Plus I'm like Todd...once I found where and when to use it;)

I have 4 boxes of just spinners:cool:

Jimmy, I like that one too. Just curious if you peg the weight?

if it were fun, a spinnerbait.

if it were food, I would need a BUNCH of white curl tail grubs (probably a Kalin or a Zoom Fat Albert) and a BUNH of hooks, sinkers, jigheads.....

More species of fish can be caught on a grub IMHO

Late to the party but a Senko or Zero in watermelon....killer texas rigged or whacky.

Wow, nobody picked it yet but I am leaning real hard on the tube. I can catch Smallies up here in BC all year with one. Saturday we got a 5lb 1oz Smallie on one, with 43 degree water temp.

I like fishing "Senko" type lures and have caught a bunch on them, but I have to 2nd Steve's tube pick. I put a little piece of Woo's tube weight in the nose and rig it weedless on a wide gap 4/0 hook. I love skipping it under dock's and overhanging trees and such. It's my favorite way to fish.

Gene

I am also leaning toward the tube jib just because I like to fish it and have had awesome results when its slow or sounding off. But when push comes to shove I have to go with a Seko bait as well, just to many ways to fish it.

CHRIS

I've done that CIII... Works great... Taste great too...

Without a doubt mine would be the old jig head and worm combo, reason being there are times the bass don't want a spinnerbait, crankbait, topwater etc. but it seems no matter what the conditions are you can take a little jig worm and always catch some fish.

I would choose a Black Powerworm on a 1/4 oz spyder head. Can hit all columns in the water contingent on reel speed.

Latest posts

Back