All-Welded vs. Riveted Hull

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E B

Reaction score
I am looking at purchasing a boat next spring. I was looking at a Targa 17 or a ProDV17. There are some differences in size dimensions, but I was wondering what the thoughts were on the all welded vs the riveted hulls. The ProDV17 has the riveted hull and the Targa 17 has an all welded hull. Comments?

It's a matter of preference for most on this one. My personal preference would be welded if at all possible, especially if you plan to perhaps use it in salt water.

There are a number of theories regarding rivets as well...Aluminum tends to get hot in the sun and as you know...heat expands, cold contracts. Theory has it that over enough time of expanding in the heat and contracting in the cold the rivets develop leaks...using it in saltwater can also corrode the area a tad which can exacerbate the problem.

So...I'd say stick to welded if at all possible.

Bass and Walleye Boats Magazine (June issue) had a great article on this if you are doing some comparing. I was surprised to learn there are different types of Welding Processes used on different boat Manufacturers. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. Welded boats seem to be extremely popular, but I am curious how well they will hold up in 5 or ten years for a better comparison.

Latest posts

Back