All this gas talk!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob LaMoy

Reaction score
And no I'm not talking about Toxic! I'm not one to sit idly by and watch the politicians laugh as they bend us all over a barrel. A barrel of crude at that! There has got to be SOMETHING we can do. Something tangible. None of these chain e-mail things either. First off, lets ALL e-mail our congressmen or women, and senators, both local and state. Then e-mail whatever entity takes any kind of messages for the president. I'm a big Bush supporter, but I want to see something done about this. A TX boy and fellow bass angler ought to understand. This is putting a serious hurting on the little man. (No sexest overtone meant) The average small business is suffering greatly. Local contractors and landscapers with big trucks needed to do their jobs are hurting. Guides like Toxic and I are having to raise our rates to cover gas in the boat. I don't know if Tox did, but I did and all the other guides in my area did. The price of milk went through the roof and they're blaming it on fuel prices to truck it!

How are over the road drivers fairing I wonder??? I would LOVE to see a caravan.....150 MILES long all around DC of bass boats in tow, RV's, semi's, mini vans, contractors, and everyone who could go. But unfortunately, we couldn't afford the GAS to get there! LOL

Does anyone have any bright ideas? And don't tell me some national "gas out" day either. Something tangible, that can be organized and even started at a grass roots level by someone here. I'll do it!!! One person can make a difference it ticked off enough.....and I'm ticked off enough!

All Clinton did was f&%$% an intern. Your boy in Texas f%$^ed the country. Thank God its almost over. Sorry to preach,but at the rare times I do its the truth.

OK yankee, take your trash mouth and go hi-jack somebody else's post! I'm not going to waste my time or energy on you if you're so ignorant as to think that ALL slick willy did was doink internS.

Go grow up!

Hey, JR! Remember gas wars! 24 cents a gallon!

Yankee, I tend to agree with you..... I simply don't like any politicians. I just never can believe anything they tell me.

Tahnsk Rob,

You saved me the time and effort :)

Who said that foreign interests can not get the President they want in our country by artifically inflating the prices :)

One man's truth is another man's, what?

Right on Carlos, and that's what this is. BUT, don't we occupy a whole country FULL of oil right now? If our President did something like take that oil, a lot of these same people would be screaming, as I've said before, "see, it WAS all about oil"!

Bill

Bill

Well Big Dave I was gonna bite the bullet and apologize for airing my political opinion on Rob's post but after reading your option on making derogatory comments about unions, I figured I need to reply again. I'm actually one of those lazy over payed union workers who spent the better part of three months cleaning up that disaster in lower Manhattan in Sept. of 2001. I saw first hand and experienced fully something that you sat at your TV set in Ohio and shook you head at. Me and the rest of my lazy good for nothing union brothers turned a project that FEMA was completely overwhelmed with,done three months ahead of schedule. It makes my stomach curdle to think that whole thing may not have happened had our newly elected President not picked fight after fight in the Middle East before he had even closed the door to the oval office behind him. I love this country and am free enough to speak the truth. I don't give a sh(* what you people think.

Rob-

I can tell you the small independant truck owners are taking a hit.Most of the drivers that haul stone out of our quarries are hired as independant contractors.They work off of a contract with a set price.The prices were from before the last big jump,and the fuel costs are forcing more than a few out of business.The bigger companies with 30 or so trucks can tough it out,but the guys that borrowed every penny they could to buy a truck to make a living,are selling off their trucks.

Some of them let their trucks sit and are going to work for the bigger companies driving for them.

I missed what is going on.

But will say I am also a lazy overpaid union worker.I wouldn't have it any other way.

IUOE local 66

Steve

John,

Prior to me saying something that is not nice. I will end it with this.

At least we are ABLE and allowed to voice our opinions.

Carlos

If I read right the 911 incident was planned way before George W got into office. Most political happenings are set in motion long before they happen. The financial boom of the Clinton years were set in motion a few years before he was elected. If you study what was accomplished durning his first few years and when it was set into law you'll see the timing was wrong. The economy has a life of it's own. It rises and falls in cycles many times defying the political climate.

These people over there and in someplaces here don't care who's running the country. They would find other people to target as infidels even if every American came home from every country in the world.

The worst type of person IMO is a religious zelot because they defey reasoning. For all the people who think that Americans and the United States will be left alone if we pull back and mind our own business are sadly mistaken. A lot of them would seek us out here in our own country and do harm to us.

Sadly enough I'd rather fight them over there than here. Gas prices are one of the inconviences that we will have to suffer. We are at war. War means some suffering has to be felt by us civilians as well. As much as the prices piss me off I don't feel I have a place to make a commet other than light hearted jokes about it. Nuff said.

fatrap

Well Dave from Ohio, Your original post DID include lazy and from the tone of your paragraph implied the other two and you indeed must have a conscience because you chose to erase the garbage you blurted out. And don't think for a second that Ohio is too far out of the question for these extremists over there if we choose to support an egotist for another four years who wants nothing more than to antagonize these nuts.

What are you talking about? I bashed you because you had something derogatory to say about the unions. The backbone of our work force. Don't feel sorry for my wife she's my ex and she's that because she's as crazy as you are, no matter what state your from. And do me a favor, if you want to tell me to go somewhere just say it .This way I can have some sort of respect for you.

Ok, cut it out!!! Read your history and learn what truly happened! If Bill Clinton had taken Bin Laden like he was offered at least TWO times, handed to him, maybe this wouldn't have happened. And this belief is from a proud union member who knows the difference between voting a union platform and thinking for himself..

Bill

I forgot and am sorry but left this out of my last post. Before anyone says, "I don't give a sh(* what you people think.", please recognize with just who you are arguing and have disagreement with! I am one of "you people" and if you don't give a sh{* what we think, why post at all?

Bill

Sign says it all
shell.jpg

Take it up with the local Democrat who voted against drilling in ANWAR. There was a plan...

We can't continue to be so dependent on foreign sources of oil.

That being said, stop whining considering we have the cheapest gas in the world.

I've traveled quite a bit and let me tell you in London it's double our price for a liter, not a gallon and the same goes for Mexico.

Great sign Dewey! That says it all and "Tom" of "Toms Shell" ought to win a prize or something:)

No Problem Dave, You did not...

Bill

Blame Bush!! thats all LIBERALS want to do and you can spot them so easily.They can't even get the FACTS straight, just keep pointing the finger at G.W. We were hit first back in '93'1st WTC bombing, but nothing was done about it, then Kovar Towers, a couple embassies over seas and the USS COLE.War was declared on the U.S first, G.W. has the B@@ls to do something about it, these maniacs have to be taken out before they get ahold of some bigger weapons.

To back up what Steve R said.....

I was selling over-the-road trucks for the St. Louis branch of a national company with 18 branches. In early 2001, we had an inventory of about 125 trucks and would turn them about every 80 days. Then fuel prices started to soar.....

Many of our customers were independents - they were going broke. Hard working people who had invested in their futures by purchasing an expensive rig and then couldn't afford to run it down the highways becaue they didn't benefit from fuel surcharges.

Major companies also suffered. Private fleets saw their costs skyrocket but couldn't raise prices for their goods to compensate.

I pass the lot I worked at every once and a while. They probably have an inventory of only about 30 trucks today because they simply aren't selling enough to justify more. Some of the trucks on the lot have been there since I left a year and a half ago.....

me!

Steve - When you say "They work off of a contract with a set price." and mention now that prices are HIGH they take a bath or have to get out of the business; If the prices were to go DOWN a bunch (say contract price set when gas was at $1.50/gallon and 2 months into the contract it drops to $1.00/gallon) does the contractor keep the up-lift?

Just trying to compare it to my world. We work with contractors in Europe and the fixed prices are based on a specific exchange rate with the Euro. The HOPE/Idea is over a year contract the rate will float up/down and you end up close to the price you signed the contract at. IF the exchange rate goes UP (meaning you get MORE for your US $$) then we can tell the contractor to do more work! If the exchange rate goes DOWN(meaning you get LESS for your US $$) then we either A) get less work performed since it's on an hourly basis, or B) have to pony up more $$ to fill the gap.

Trep

Oh and i'll add on the Gas prices, they are NOT higher then they they were in the late 70's and early 80's. Adjusted for inflation, a gallon of gasoline cost $2.40 in 1980.

This whole inflation thing doesn't hold water. Inflation is gradual. Markets don't experience 100% increases in 12 months. This time last year, you could find gas for around $1.25 a gallon. Now it's well over $2.00. If that were the case, then imagine if next year the average SUV, say a Ford Explorer cost $72,000. A Trailblazer you say? No problem.....$76,000. Oh, a NAVIGATOR??? $89,000!

How about a 2,000 sq ft raised ranch on a 1/2 acre of land in rural American??? $490,000 and it's yours.

Well if this were the case, then min wage would have to go to about $12 p/hr and the average professional would have to make at least $100,000 a year. Somebody IS yankin our chain.

Rob - Did they go up a BUNCH in a year, YES no issues or questions there! But that means that last year we had VERY cheap gas! So today we have more expensive gas but its NOT an all time high. DO I think the prices are high compared to last year - yup! Do i think part of it is Tax - Yup, Do I think part of it is OPEC and the oil companies looking to make a profit on us - Yup, do I think they do NOT lower prices in kind when prices per barrel goes down - Yup.

Can you compare a gallon of gas to the price of a SUV - Nope, apples to oranges! IF Ford raised the price of an Explorer to $72k, people (most) would just buy the Trailblazer, 4Runner, and the like. So there is more competition and choices in vehicles then with gas/oil! There IS no alternative!(until we ACTIVELY pursue our OWN oil reserves and teach those OPEC idiots we CAN survive with out them).

I'm just pointing out that yes, Inflation is gradual but as an aggregate the price today is NOT higher then say 1980. By the way, what was the price of a CAR in 1980 vs. today? I found this info a Full Size Chevy sedan 1998 $22,500 vs. 1962 $$2,529! So the % of cost of a gallon of gas to the vehicle is MUCH less today.

Trep, less than 30% of our imported oil actually come from OPEC nations. The bulk, somewhere around 50% comes from CANADA. So my theory is true, it IS all Pierre's fault!

Rob - Tell THAT to the Liberal's who are screaming that Iraq was ALL about oil!!! LOL Sorry, political rant!

Latest posts

Back