A Question for TrepMan

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Balch

Reaction score
Trep, I bought the folding ladder - universal mount from BPS. The ladder is the 3-step unit, whereas I think yours is the two-step. When I took the ladder to the Tracker dealer in Austin, where my PT 175 is in the shop for the 20-hr maintenance and some warranty items, the technician I asked to install the ladder expressed concern that the bottom of the ladder folded up would still be in the water and would create drag (to the left if installed on the port side of the transom)when the boat is running.

Have you had this drag problem? Do you think the two-step ladder would be more suitable than the three-step, since it's only 13 inches folded vs 17 inches for the three-step? I would appreciate your thoughts on this.

Thanks, Bill

Bill - I do hav ethe 2 step 13 inch ladder. Mine is mounted so that the top of the step (see the picture) is level with the top of the transom. As you can see (it's hard to tell with the angle of the picture) that the bottom of the ladder when folded does not even go as low as the bottom of the transom (before the step'd bottom of the boat). Measuring if you want with the 17 inch 3 step you'd probably have to mount it a few inches higher then mine so that the bottome stays above the step and then the top when folded might be a few inches above the top of the transom. It's your call. I might go with the 2 step to be safe so you don't risk (as your Tracker Tech suggested) drag during Hole Shot or running.

Oh and YES Tex, the ladder is covering the D in the S. S. Daddy!!! LOL
ladder.JPG

Thanks Trep for the info. I bought the three-step ladder because I thought it would be easier for my wife and me to clamber up. Of course, my 10-year old grandson Matthew would have no problem. So, I'm going to return to my Tracker dealer with the photo you sent and try to figure this out. Maybe I'll need to return the 3-step and order the 2-step.

Thanks again, Bill

No problem Bill - Like I said with out having the 3 step ladder in my hands. It LOOKS like it might fit if as I said it was mounted higher then mine. The thing to be careful for is (beside making sure it does not go below the transom and creates drag) is location for entry/exit. I was initialy not happy that they mounted it so close to the OB. I've had kids/adults grab onto the greased steering arm on the motor to help getting in and that's BAD!! But from a strength perspective it has 3 out of 4 mounting bolt thru bolted to the transom, which is GOOD!! Take a pic which ever way you go so I can see it!

The strength issue is important. If the ladder is mounted too far to the left, two of the mounting devices would not be through bolted. I wonder if there is any kind of fastener comparable to a molly bolt that would work? The Tracker tech I talked to was concerned about my 50-HP Merc not hitting the ladder while turning hard left. Apparently you have not had that problem.

I will post a photo when this is all worked out.

Bill - no problem at all with the 40 Merc hitting it, it get's no where near it even at full turn! Good luck!

Latest posts

Back