A little rukus at BPS today

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
Well, I had a little rukus at the checkout of Bass Pro in Garland today. Went up there with my wife, to do a little shopping. They had the Mustang 'standard' PFD's for sale; and I wanted to look at a few more things including a Navionics chip for my HBird. Anyway, I never could figure out 'which' of the Mustang PFD's were actually on sale, but lo and behold - the Pro model (that sells for $199.99), was marked down $40.00. Got to the register, and of course it rang up at the full price.

So I started the conversation, explaining patiently that the regular price was on the wall board where these were hung up, and that the sale sticker was affixed (with a big ty-wrap) to the end of the hanger, clearly showing it was $40.00 off.

Then the fun began. First, it was 'finish paying for this' - and then you can go over to the 'return counter' and return it for a full refund. I hadn't signed the credit card slip as yet.

Then we get the first of 'many explanations' that people move things around and sometimes they are mislabeld. Followed by my - the exact model that I was trying to buy, was described on the sales tag.

Then we get the manager, and the first thing she wants is me to 'step out of line' and she would take me to the return counter'. At this point, I'm starting to gather a crowd, and I'm pretty sure my voice is getting louder. At which point I announce (so that everyone can hear - didn't want anyone to miss anything), that it was clearly marked on 'sale' downstairs - and if they didn't want to honor the price - I didn't want it.

In the meantime, the manager is desperately trying to get me to keep quiet (that wasn't working), and also trying to get the sales associate (via the walkie talkie) to verify whether or not the sales tag was up there. They have now voided out all of my previous sale, and are re-ringing it up along with a credit for the original bill. About this time, the manager gets 'some info' whereby she comes back to me and asks - 'what was the sales price you saw?'.

I told her $159.00, and she directed the cashier to ring up the price as indicated. She was plenty nervous, for I had an overall bill of $527.00 and change, that I was about to leave on their doorstep.

Wife and I went to the 'County Line' next door, had a great bar-b-que sandwich for lunch, and then came back to look for a new boarding ladder for my boat (didn't have what I wanted). Also dropped by the Mustang PFD's, and the sales ticket that had been there was now no where to be found.

All in all, got what I wanted at the price they had advertised - but didn't like all the 'crap' that I had to go through at the register. And of course, never received any kind of apology for the inconvience.

Tex

Tex - I had a very similar situation happend to me at the Hampton Virginia store last year. It was an issue with a price where it was clearly marked on a sign that it was on sale for "x" and when it was rung up it didn't register correctly. I told the cashier and she got all indignant and told me that it couldn't be on sale since the register clearly knows the price. I asked for the manager and he also tried to pull me out of the line. After a little heated discussion and the manager calling the "ass"ociate on the floor to have them tell the manager that there was no such sign being on sale. I then took the manager by the hand and led him to the area and yanked the sign from the display and said "here" is the sale. Well, they decided that it was a left over sign that someone "forgot" to take down but were "willing" to let me have that price. I told them to stick it and my wife and I walked out of the store with the items I was purchasing still sitting on the cashiers counter.

I don't even remember what the product was but, like you, it was the principle.

They NEVER have anythinhg that is sale priced in the flyer for BPS Cinci...they suck!

You wouldnt beleive where people will put things.

You guys were in your right to get what you wanted at the price that was stated and you would have gotten it.

Here in Michigan ALL items MUST have a price tag on them. A royal pain in the Arse for the store, but it protects consumers in situations like this.

If the item you are purchasing has a sticker on it and after scanning the bar code you are charged more than the sticker, you are entitled to a refund amount up to the difference or $5.00. Whichever is more.

I have seen plenty of times where going into buying anything with a price less than $5.00 and getting to the counter and it scans more. I pay without objection, head straight to the cust serv counter and get my refund of $5.00! I cant recall how many times I have done this....

Make sure in all of these incidents you let the General Manager of the store know. Most of the times when at the cash register when you ask for a manager, you get the Front End Manager or Manager on Duty. You NEED to tell the General Manager of the store, he or she has teh power to make the changes to better your shopping.

Mini

Mini - I am sorry but I don't agree that I need to go to the customer service desk AFTER I have purchased my items. I am the CUSTOMER and it is their job to satisfy ME and make it right. I will, in the future, ask for the GM but will NOT get out of the line until it is resolved to my satisfaction. We don't stand up for our rights anymore and just seem to be like herded sheep. Kinda like the old movie Network - "I'm mad as hell and I'm not gonna take it anymore!"

What is the harm in going over to customer service? That is how and where nearly all stores like this handle the exceptions, and they are trained over there to help sort this out. I know it's a pain sometimes, but there are precious few places where you get really good hands on service, and when you do it is going to cost more than at a BPS or Cabelas.

Bery - I don't mind going over to customer service at all. I don't want to go over AFTER I had to purchase my item at the incorrect price only to have the customer servcie department then decide they screwed up and then refund me the difference. Again, I am the CUSTOMER so don't inconvenience me.

Do you think that Cabela's and BPS are discount houses and because of that we should get less "good hands on service". One, BPS and Cabela's are NOT discount houses and I don't care where I buy my products, I expect that hands on service.

I know I am ranting a bit but I am old and was brought up knowing that customer service is the number one requirement in retail sales. Now if you had compared fast food service it would be another story! LOL

Bill, I feel your pain, but the checkout teenagers just aren't geared for trouble. It's basically scan and pay up there. Just the way it is. As much as I hate it, I have learned to double check SKU numbers on the shelf vs on the item, that has saved me some grief time up front.

As much as I hate it, I have learned to double check SKU numbers on the shelf vs on the item, that has saved me some grief time up front.

Had a couple problems at the checkout at Lowe's before and have resorted to doing the same thing.

Yup, as I have mentioned previously, I had too many situations like that at BPS. I still go in occassionally, but nowhere near as much as I used to. They stopped carrying some of the items I wanted most often. That, plus it seemed I was forever being rung up at the wrong price and bounced to the customer service counter.

Back in the good ole days of BPS, service was top notch (they miss you, Dan J!).

Bill, I feel your pain, but the checkout teenagers just aren't geared for trouble. It's basically scan and pay up there. Just the way it is. As much as I hate it, I have learned to double check SKU numbers on the shelf vs on the item, that has saved me some grief time up front.

I do the same thing no matter where I shop PLUS I always take my own pen or pencil and write the price on the article or articles I want to buy. Ace Hardware taught me that.. There were just too many times I got home, checked the sales slip, and it wasn't right. And it was ALWAYS in their favor. Now I write the price on the articles, ask the cashier to turn the register display so I can see it, and I don't have to yell and scream so much.

As far as B.P.S. is concerned, I'm glad I live near the one at Arundel Mills (Baltimore).

I have never had a problem there and the few times I have had to take something back, for any reason whatsoever, it went smoothly and to my satisfaction.

Uncle Billy

I'm with others. I'm not leaving the line to have to go somewhere else and start all over with someone else. I had not finished my transaction - so why should I move. They acted like 'I had already bought it, and now wanted to return it'. Not so, says I.

Anyway.

Tex

I never said you should have to go Cust Serv....I said I do here in Michigan to get my extra money. For me its worth it. And that is a state wide law, not a bass pro shops policy.

Bottomline is that you should be satisfied and if asking for your satisfaction while inline is what you want, then I guess thats what you should get. Personally I would rather let the people behind me get along with their lives while I hash it out with someone that can actually do something about it.

As a Retail Manager I would certainly understand your position on paying what the item was tagged at. That would be the fair and logical thing to do. I do however disagree with standing in line, holding up the other people who had nothing to d with your issue. It is always amazing how many people think that by yelling at a associate, or cusing a big scene in a store that they will get what they want. I am MUCH more likely to go the extra mile for a customer who isbeing calm and polite, than for someone who is being rude and beligerent. Just a thougt, most stores do the riht thing by the customer, I have had nothing but great experiences from BPS no matter what store I have been at. So much so that I usually find the manager just to let them know how great of an experience I have had.

I guess in the end I would say try being nice first, you will have a much calmer day, as will those others shopping at the same time. If for some reason things are not handled in the manner you see fit, ask to talk to a manager on the side. Do you think the 10 year old in line wih his dad is learning great behaviors when he sees the eler in front of him yelling at a much younger person? Is this really the example you wnat to be setting? Not a dig, just from persoanl experience in retail, most often they will do the right thing without being yelled at and treated in a very discouteous way.....

Hookset - Time out brother. NOBODY said I was beligerent while in the line. I was calm, NEVER raising my voice and certanly did not yell at anyone. I have been in retail sales before and know what it is like to deal with these type of people so I don't act that way. I am always nice until I get a sales clerk, supervisor or manager with an "attitude". Two can play the same game. You treat me fairly and talk to me politely and don't inconvenience me and I will play the same game.

I really take exception to your comments but I stand behind what I said in previous posts. Treat me like the CUSTOMER I am. I pay your salary and I am the reason you have that job in that store.

I went back and read your original post again, just to make sure that I had read it correctly the first time.

"At this point, I'm starting to gather a crowd, and I'm pretty sure my voice is getting louder. At which point I announce (so that everyone can hear - didn't want anyone to miss anything)"

Maybe I misunderstood your original post, I was simply trying to point out that many times you will get what you want without causing a "ruckus." By your title and the words you typed it seemed like you were causing a scene in the store. Again, maybe I am mistaken, maybe I did not read it properly? Not a dig at you, and yes those in retail are well aware that the customers are the reason they have a job, no customers-no business-no job........ However, that also means that most will do the right thing without having a "ruckus"..........

Hookset - maybe I left the wrong impression. I wasn't 'intentionally' trying to cause a rukus, I simply was trying to either get the correct price - or take it off the bill. My voice tends to carry quite a bit regardless, and when I get 'pushed' like the manager was doing, I get louder.

When they started to do the shuffle, and wanted me to 'move to another area' - I didn't like it.

Much like Mini indicated above - many people react differently in this type of situation. Most of the time, I simply take it off the counter and go on from there. However, they didn't want to do that either. I needed to go to the 'return counter' - to return it. That would be - return something that I hadn't bought as yet.

All in all, I think the part that bothered me the most, was the assumption on their part that I was either:

1) Simply wrong.

2) Trying to cheat them.

Tex

If you felt that way Tex, then the manager (or whomever you were dealing with) reacted wrong. You shouldnt have to get that feeling, as a matter of fact you should get the opposite feeling. The feeling that the person is doing whatever they can to make it right.

No harm done (unless I was in a hurry in line behind you!!! lol)

I will repeat this so it doesnt get lost....Make sure you let the General Manager of the store know this. Either with a personal email, phone call or face to face. It is the only way things will improve. Remember General Manager, NOT front end manager, NOT manager on duty, NOT department manager, etc. The General Manager is the big kahuna at the store, they can make it right and fix the problem before it happens again!

Mini

Latest posts

Back