911 CDC Prop question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Mc

Reaction score
I just bought an 06' 911 CDC with a 225 Optimax in Denver and brought it down to NM where I fish a lot at Elephant Butte Lake which is at 4,465 ft in elevation. When I was in Denver I stoped in the Bass Pro to ask questions and to buy a prop. They told me the Merucry Fury 24 pitch would be a good choice. I told them I needed a 21 pitch prop but they said no. Since Denver is about 5,200 ft in elevation I took their advise. They also told me that the Mercury Tempest was a better choice for the newer Z9 series but that the Fury was a better choice for the older 911 series.

When I put the boat in the water yesterday it was sluggish getting out of the hole and it would only tach out at 5,200 RPM. I was not loaded and did not have any passengers. This prop will not work for me in this altitude. At $600+ dollars for a prop, I need to get it right. They will take it back but I am still out shipping to get back to them.

Since the Fury only steps down to a 24 pitch I need a different prop. I know they will want to send me a Mercury Tempest 23 pitch. Any other suggestions???

The boat is a tank and it will be sluggish out of the hole. Since it is a 2006 it SHOULD have the teansom vent system installed. You can check it my looking into the bilge and and see if you have a hose running from the stepped transom to the cap near the splashwell. There should be a large rubber stopper tiewrapped to it. This releases the vaccum on the hull.....the stopper is incase that hose fails. The hose is about a 2" ID....

I ran a 23 pitch tempest plus as my best all around performing prop on all of my 911's. the fury was not available back then and really the prop of choice was a switchblade variable pitch prop.....but they had problems throwing blades.

You should be getting better RPM WOT though. I would first insure that you are actually getting WOT by checking the adjustment of the throttle cable @ the motor and at the Hotfoot.

If you have any further questions regarding set up of that boat, I would call tracker themselves. Seems like you get a bunch of different answers from individual dealers than you will from the manufacturer.

Good luck, I loved the design of the 911's....

I do have the transom vent system. I am glad you explained it to me because I didn't have a clue why the stopper was there. What altitude are you at? I almost went with the 23 or 22 Tempest. I might try to find one on EBay at a bargain and keep this one for when I back to Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Tennessee fishing. What is WOT?

WOT = Wide Open Throttle

Our elevation is close enought to sea level to call it that. Its about 600 feet.

Latest posts

Back