Nitro 929 CDC & Merc 225 Opti

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel Bonneson2

Reaction score
I'm looking to replace the 24" Tempest II that's 8 yrs old. It's been a good prop, but it's been worked on a few different times. This is a heavy hull (4 batteries, fully loaded gunnel to gunnel) and the prop will push the hull about 61 - 62 mph with a hydraulic jack plate. This time of yr (Summer) I need to pull at least two of the three vent plugs when I plan on having livewells full and two guys.

I'm interested in the Fury prop by Mercury and was wondering if I should stick with the 24" pitch? Or, if I should go back to the Tempest II?

If you have experience with this hull and motor I'd appreciate your feedback.

Thank you,
Dan B

I have no personal experience with the newer Fury props, but I ran that hull and motor combo for many a season and found the 24" Trophy PVS (with two large plugs in and two completely removed) to be good out of the hole and strong mid 60's on top. The old board had all my boats with their specs in their respective configurations, but from memory I believe you should be seeing closer to 65+ MPH (GPS) with that 24P Trophy as long as engine and hull are in specs. Good luck! ;)

Just wanted to add that a 25P Tempest PVS with two plugs out and one in ran pretty good on that hull also.

Last edited:
On my 2000 929 with a 225 efi and a 24p 4 blade, I got 67-69 fully, and I mean fully, loaded with all gear and 1/2 bag of fuel (single 57 gal tank). That was with all vent plugs fully closed. Out of the hole and on-plane very quick summer or winter although I would get higher end speed in winter. I had to replace the original prop because it threw an ear at WOT. To this day I think the efi I had was a very special motor. It now resides in Florida:)

Latest posts

Back