90hp Motor Question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reno G.

Reaction score
I have a 2000 Mercury 90hp 2-stroke classic. When I fire it up for the first time in the morning it idles fine, but when I try to get the boat on plane the motor bogs down for a short period of time and then the RPM start to climb, sometimes slowly and then everything is fine. Motor runs up to about 5200-5400 RPMS and runs fine. I can run the motor the rest of the day without a hitch. What would cause this to happen on the initial WOT attempt only and then all is well.

Thanks everyone.

Reno

Are you priming the bulb before you start it? It sounds as though you are not letting it warm up enough before take-off, and it is a bit lean. Be sure to prime it, allow it to warm up {5 minutes}, then have a go at it.......

Yes, I prime bulb until it is rock hard before starting the engine. The last time I had the boat out I let the engine warm up for almost 10 minutes. Can it be something else? Thanks again for the help.

Reno

Are you hearing any "lean sneeze" when at idle? Kind of like a backfire?

When I first start it up for the day, put in neutral and give it some gas it will sometimes die after running for 5-10 seconds and kind of sounds like a "lean sneeze" or backfire just before it dies. I figured this was because the engine is cold. It will typically start right back up and this cycle may happen a few times before the engine will stay running.

Plugs were changed last year, not sure when the wires were changed last. Current plugs only have about 15-20 hours on them.

Thanks.

Reno

Back out spring-loaded, low speed mixture screws 1/4 turn and let me know how it responds.....one on each of the three carbs, located at the top, port side. ;)

I will try that. Thank you Bob, it is so great to have you on this website.

Reno

The 90 is a very cold natured animal.

I just about always at first start have to choke it for a few seconds then may have to tap it until she's warmed up.

I backed off the low speed mixture screws 1/4 turn yesterday. The idle appears to be a little rougher and the engine still hesitates on the first run of the morning. After the first run she ran like a champ.

Thanks.

Reno

A slight hesitation when cold is normal. As long as that is the ONLY issue, give it a little extra fuel, read "hit the choke" a couple more times before the initial take-off.

Latest posts

Back