Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You getting tired of playin' with them?

I agree...give em' to a kid!:lol:

Dude, some of "The" most collectable things are kids toys.....don't you ever watch Antiques Roadshow?:lol: I don't have a problem collecting kids toys. When I was a kid my father used to call on the John Deere plant in Dubuque Iowa....Nothing JD put out was "collectable" when I was a kid but they made diecast repleca's of every piece of their equipment including Tractors/combines/planters/spreaders/wagons, etc. My dad would bring me a couple every time he called on them. I had every one ever made. Kept them on about 10 shelves in my bedroom. Sure, I played with them occasionally but for the most part they were just "cool" because they were fully functional with moving parts (not motor wise). After I was out of the house and on my own for a while the JD stuff got silly expensive. I b-lined it home to get them and guess what.....my dad boxed them up and gave them to the Goodwill!!:lol::lol::lol: I can't even imagine what they would be worth today. I musta had 200 pieces of their smallest replicas...1/64th I think. I am a pack rat and just luuuuve to collect things!!

TOXIC

Glenn,

I guess collecting "toys" depends on your perspective.

Personally i dont buy collectors addition toys to store them for a rainy day. But i do still to this day have my Star Wars action figures and a couple of the ships from the original collection from when i was a kid. Back when i was little i loved those toys and i took care of them. As i grew older i didnt want to just give them away because i knew how hard my father worked so i could have those toys. I keep them around today because they just mean something to me, they have sentimental value, plus im a star wars nut. I do let my nephew play with them when he comes over if he wants to although he generally wants to play the wwe game on the ps3. I keep them in a case in my office at home and they will stay there forever collecters item or not.

As far as giving something to poor kids goes. i could not agree with you more. I think more people need to step up and make these kids lives a little better. I dont know about other parts of the counrty but every year at Christmas the Marines to a toys for tots drive outside of the local toys r us. I would say about 90% of the people just pass them by without giving a second thought, it makes me sad. My sister and I have kind of a long standing tradition that we buy a bunch of toys to donate, we take my nephew now and let him pick everything out. We leave with a full cart and all of it goes to the Marines. We grew up not poor per-se but our parents didnt have a lot of money back then. We always had the basics but our father worked multiple jobs back then to make sure we did. So extras like a bike or toys were not taken for granted. Now we both have great careers and can afford to give a little to help someone else out.

I also have a single mother that lives down the street from me that i help out. She is just scraping by and really cant afford to get her two kids much of anything come the holidays. I make sure she has somthing for her kids to open on Christmas morning, as much as she hates me doing it(she doesnt like to take hand outs).

Just remember; something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Someone can tell you that an item is worth $500.00, but until they actually buy it from you for that same amount, it's only worth what you paid for it.

I guess if one is taking toys away from children because some day they might be valuable, then that is ill intended, poorly thought through, and perhaps just plain wrong. Same if a person is buying toys for themselves at the expense of buying toys for their own children. However, if one is buying, collecting, or being given such toys for collecting purposes in the hopes of making money some day, seems to me to be a no harm, no foul situation.

They can have my Matchbox cars when they can pry them from my cold, dead hands [or words to that effect].

Do a search on EBAY for the original Tonka toys (bulldozers, dump trucks, etc) and look at the prices they are fetching. 2 guys I work with are buying old Tonka stuff off of Ebay and have paid as much as $125 for some pieces that probably cost $10 brand new back then. I

m tempted to go to my mom and dad's house and start cleaning out my dad's garage just to see what I can find in there from my younger days.

A friend of mine from college went to law school, became a lawyer. He got a job in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin with the company that marketed Dungeons and Dragons "stuff". He handled copyright and licensing things for them. Way back "then"... they made a deal to license some toys connected with a movie... Yup... Star Wars... They didn't keep the deal, sold it to Kenner for what they thought then was "big bucks".

But, my friend Andy, just on a whim, kept a case of everything they had manufactured and also bought a case of most of the early stuff through Kenner (don't know how but I guess he had a friend of a friend on the inside there)..

Andy now lives in the Bahamas, and is by far the wealthiest guy in my small college circle of friends. He sold everything back in 2000 and retired... The amount he got was staggering, especially for the boxed stuff (still in the case lot boxes) of the early non Kenner stuff... Apparently there are a lot of wealthy old Baby Boomers who are Star Wars Collectors...

Why Glenn? In my humble estimation there is a big difference between collecting and buying toys for tots.......What did I miss? Now buying toys for kids then putting them away so they can't play with them is different. My daughter gets 2 Madam Alexander dolls every year for christmas. They are hers to do with however she pleases. Personally, I cringe because they are so expensive but they are hers. She got interested in them because her grandmother has hers from when she was a child and has them in a display case in her house. She has progressed to the point she now wants a piece of furniture to show off her collection. She will have these when she gets older and they will be worth a lot of moola. That being said, they wouldn't be something I would want her taking to the beach, etc. Heck, I just gave my 24 year old son the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles TV tray I bought for him when he was like 5 years old. He was thrilled!!:lol:

TOXIC

Glenn, you should stop taking your toys and going home. You left yourself wide open for this.:D:D:D

Just kidding,

Bubby

Darn I hate it when someone edits their post to just a "Never Mind" or somethimg like that and I don't get to know what's going on!:(

Uncle Billy

We all can't be alike to be sure, but you get p-o'd every time someone disagrees with one of your pronouncements. That seems to me like you want everyone to be just like you.

Taking toys and going home--:lol::lol::lol:

Apparently, more was going on then any of us realized UB.

Did I miss something again?

I thought we were pokin' fun Glenn....didn't want to pissyaoff:huh:

Maybe he found out that the collection was worth enough to pay off his new mortgage!!:(:angry::p

I missed everything that has gone on..but leaving the site because of an internal feud with another member isn't right! C'mon Glenn.. Geeezy-Peeezy!:(

Uncle Billy

Uncle Billy, nothing really happened. Glenn asked for advise on beenie babies his wife collected. I agree totally with Marty, if all don't agree with Glenn, he gets upset. I would not ask for advise, if I wanted everyone to say the same thing. Asking for help with your boat, car, whatever is o.k.. When you ask for advise on anything, don't expect everyone to agree. We surely don't all think alike, and if you don't want to know what others think, don't ask. I will continue to enjoy this site, I suspect I will disagree with members from time to time. I wii not however take my toys and go home. I am old like Uncle Billy, Tee, and Greg Meyer, our toys are old. If I get mad and take my toys home, I wouldn't be able to play with the young ones toys.

Glenn, I am totally sure you are checking this thread. Just remember this, no site you go to will be close to as good as this site. To leave over a question about toys, is unthinkable. The last time you said you were leaving, I was one of the first to ask you to stay. I won't this time, this is really silly. Sorry I don't usually write this long of a post, had to say my piece. One last thing Glenn, I am sure others including yourself, will not agree with what I have posted. I must say, this one beats all.

Bubby

Latest posts

Back