60 hp starting problem

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike chip

Reaction score
I hope someone out there can help me im lost. My 60 hp merc wont start after i turn it off unless i have it at full throttle. It runs fine other than that. any help would be great.

I do not see a slick in the water, or see fuel, in the cowling or in the water. thanks bob

mike

No loss of power. It runs fine, idles fine everything runs lilike it should, except when you try to start it. it does not matter if its the first time you try to start it or if it just ran for an hour.

any ideas, do you think my carbs need work.

mike

Bob, I have been following this thread with some interest. I have a 60hp (2001) two stroke on my boat. What is the correct way to start this thing? The dealer said to pump the key a few times and turn it over. That seems to take for ever to get it started. At the end of the season I tried holding in the key until it would start to turn over and it did in a fraction of the time. Which is correct? Also when the motor is first started it coughs or maybe it is what you referred to as a sneeze, out of the carbs.I haven't pulled the cowling to see which carb yet. Does this mean I have to richen the mixture? Otherwise the motor performs great and you are right, you need to start it level or forget it. I also found if you tilt it too far back/down and try to troll with it, she will smoke a lot. Any help will be appreciated.

Mike

Bob, Is there any truth to the saying that Mercs are cold natured? or is it people not knowing how to start them? I have a 90 2-stroke that seems hard to start. I think the "vertical" thing you said would help my situation too. Mine too will run great and re-start all day with no trouble. It's just that initial start up. Thank for all the good info you provide.

hey bob, i checked my carbs adjustments and they seem to be correct. The motor is down when i try to start it, but freqently when i stop i have to raise it so it does not hit bottom, or collect hydrilla around the prop. but i always lower it to start it. Could my raising it be half the problem?

mike

Bob...thanks for the details as I too have been following this thread with great interest as my 60hp is a terrible bear to start. So much that I start to get concerned that it is not going to start each time.

Since last time I had my boat in for a tune up it was done in your shop I should be able to assume that everything is set right. So I won't worry about a carb setting :)

I am printing out your instructions and will be trying this once I break my boat out of storage in April. If it doesn't work I will be making an appointment to come visit you and get a first hand lesson on starting my boat properly.

Thanks!

Cass :)

Bob, I created a wallet version of your instructions:

1. Keep motor vertical as possible.

2. Prime carbs with bulb.

3. Advance throttle a little.

4. Turn key to ON position hold in 2 seconds.

5. Start motor.

6. If the motor starts to lean pop occasionally tap "choke" until motor runs clean on it's own. Keep motor vertical when trolling. Bob B

Cass :)

You da man Bob. Thanks so much. Your discription is exactly how I started it at the end of the season and it fired right up. You are a true asset to this board. I am used to the problems carbs have do to playing with enough hot rods in my day. Thanks again!

Mike

I would like to thank everyone who has helped me with this issue especially bob. This board is a great help, I was not sure if i would get any help being new to this board. But you guys came through with flying colors, i can not thank you enough.

mike

Mike,

Welcome....whether you're new or not, there are always friendly, knowledgable people here eager to help out.

As you come here more often, you will recognize our "resident experts"...Bob is a motor wizard, Magna19 and Chris Leitig are a great source of technical info, Scott knows old song lyrics LOL

Welcome again.

"Ken and Mac---better than Crack!!!"

OK Looks like i've finaly figured this out after 2 years, follow the same process above for my 40 Merc.

Bob - A lot of time I launch alone and try to get the motor started as fast as possible. I can always get it to turn over, but when it's cold and has not had a few minutes to warm up, when I shift her back into neutral and then into reverse she'l die and I have to restart her. My question is when I go to put her into reverse after just starting her, should I slowly pull the throttle back and if she sounds like shes gonna die on me, put her back in neutral or push her WOT in reverse to get her to catch (like putting your foot down on the old cars)? Just want to know what's the best method to get her to catch - Thanks

Latest posts

Back